1. Summer League Starts SATURDAY July 1 More info HERE.

Dismiss Notice
  2. PF.com is also on Facebook. Follow/Like us Here.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about the radio broadcast of the 2004 Finals Game 5.

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by nuraman00, Sep 24, 2015.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Mogilny likes this.
  2. Nemo

Nemo Over 60 Club Forum Donor

3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 5x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

roscoe36 likes this.
  4. nuraman00

nuraman00 First Round Draft Pick

So, since I can't get the radio call from WDFN of game 5 of the NBA Finals, is there way to contact George Blaha? Is he on any social media, or is there an email address?

Or, what about Brent Musburger? I could then ask him if he said that quote on the ESPN Radio broadcast.

5. nuraman00

Or if anyone has this DVD, maybe there's something in the credits that helps.

6. nuraman00

Every time the Finals come around, this quote, and its exact origin, come back to bug me.

7. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 5x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You are really obsessed with this quote.

linwood, roscoe36 and Mogilny like this.
  8. linwood

linwood All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

It's been a while back now, but if memory serves, Blaha and Mahorn were doing the local radio broadcast. I was living in Detroit and working in Grosse Pointe at the time. I remember having the radio on quietly in the back, and sneaking back to listen to the games (I was working as a butcher) every chance I got. I would rush out of there at closing time and drive back to my neighborhood to watch the games at the local bar.

Wish I could help you track the audio of those games down. I think it would be pretty cool to hear them.

roscoe36 likes this.
  9. nuraman00

I don't remember if I read this post before. But thanks for the info that both Mahorn and Blaha were doing the local radio broadcast.

I wish there was a radio version of ESPN Classics, where you could listen to broadcasts of old games. But uncondensed, of course.

roscoe36 likes this.
  10. nuraman00

Also, a few more updates in my search to find the source of the quote.

I tried posting on Mitch Albom's forum last November. But the moderator removed my post. (I can still see my post though if I click on my profile).

I also tried emailing Mitch Albom about a month ago, to his Detroit Free Press email address. I didn't get a response.

I think my best bet to have this verified (short of finding a podcast or something) would be to find Jim Podhoretz on social media (he did the Pistons documentary and included the quote); find George Blaha or Rick Mahorn on social media; or find Brent Musburger on social media (since he did the game for ESPN radio).

And OT, but I think I want to read Albom's "For One More Day" book sometime within the next year.

roscoe36 likes this.
  11. C-Bill

C-Bill All-Star

It does sound like Blaha to me, but I am sure I am biased. I don't even know Musberger.

When you had that post on Reddit and a guy responded that it was from game 5 of the finals along with a youtube video (which is no longer avaiable), was his/her video of the TV broadcast or audio from a radio broadcast? I'm a little confused because the poster's responses indicate he had found it. Is that not the case?

**Too bad this is post-VHS era. Back then, people were much more likely to record important events and then hang onto them forever. We still have the last two episodes of Johnny Carson on VHS (Do they work? Who knows, but they are labeled) and some other odd recordings.

roscoe36 likes this.
  12. nuraman00

rp2knight from reddit linked to the 2004 Pistons Documentary, directed by Jim Podhoretz.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/38jn31/an_almost_unthinkable_storyline_has_unfolded_in/

(You can also by this documentary on Amazon).

As mentioned earlier in this thread, at 0:52:03 - 0:52:10 in the documentary, the quote is played.

However, the quote is played over a video sequence of a ticket being scanned for game 5 of the Finals.

So it's not clear whether the quote is actually from game 5 (once the game has started), or the pre-game segment to game 5.

Maybe it's even from the game 5 postgame show.

I wonder if YouTube had closed captioning enabled, and if so, would the caption say the broadcaster's name?

Regarding the post-VHS era, I keep a few games on my DVR that are memorable to me.

Also, I also started recording games from the radio that I want to save. I bought a digital recorder in 2015, and I can either do a 3.5mm line-in from my radio to the recorder, or I can do a line-in from my PC/phone for a radio broadcast that's being streamed.

I want to preserve memorable radio broadcast moments of games.

So I'm taking the same concept of preserving VHS recordings, to a digital medium (video or audio).

If I had my recorder by the clinching game of the 2004 Finals, I would have tried to do the same.

Also, regarding my idea of a radio station that would broadcast classic sports games. If not a radio/satellite station, a streaming station like Pandora should be possible. If they need to charge a subscription fee in order to be able to pay for the licenses to rebroadcast those games, then I guess they can do that. I'd consider it.

roscoe36 likes this.
  13. C-Bill

C-Bill All-Star

That's a pretty cool idea (the recording game).

Well, they both are. I would definitely listen to that on road trips or while cleaning or whatever.

roscoe36 likes this.
  14. nuraman00

This resonated with me. When I'm cleaning, I have sports talk radio on.

But if it's either a day where I'm not interested in that day's sports, listening to a classic game with broadcasters I like would be cool, and help get through chores easier.

Road trips / long plane trips are also a good idea.

roscoe36 likes this.
  15. nuraman00

In case anyone is interested in the recorder I have, it's the Zoom H2N.

There's probably a more basic option, but I got this also so I could take to concerts and record some songs. A recorder with a line in such as that one can also be used with a video recorder, so that you capture one device's video recording capability, with the superior audio quality. You'd then have to sync it after-the-fact so that the video would use, but I think there's free software that can do that. I've never done this myself, but did read it was possible. VSDC Editor or VideoPad or one of the other free ones should be able to do this.

For radio/streaming recordings I record in MP3. For concerts I record in WAV, then convert to FLAC. You can choose the bitrate you want also with those file formats.

roscoe36 likes this.
  16. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It's definitely not Blaha. It does sound like Musburger (look up some of his work on youtube), who was doing ESPN Radio for the 2004 finals. You might wanna hit up ESPN.
    List of NBA Finals broadcasters - Wikipedia

On another note, I have noticed that some NBA reporters and other people begin downplay the hugeness of the 2004 upset. Revisionist theory now leads them to suggest that it wasn't such a big upset due to the Lakers internal disfunction. Incorrect!

Found this PTI episode from the day after.

View: https://youtu.be/c72eu0a2_2c

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I don't think it was a big upset. The pistons were just overlooked and disrespected.

If they played that series 100 times, we would have won it 95 times.

To me, a true upset is something that wouldn't be easily repeatable.

18. nuraman00

That's kind of how I see it.

I remember watching the regular season games from the prior years, and Detroit matched up well then too. Now regular season doesn't always translate to the Finals, but it's also something that should be considered too.

I've always remembered this quote by Jackson from the prior year:

+++++++++++++++++++++

Lakers vs. Pistons - Game Recap - March 12, 2003 - ESPN

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. (AP) -- Chauncey Billups was so good it almost made Phil Jackson sick.

Billups scored a season-high 33 points and made several dazzling plays during a 10-0 surge early in the fourth quarter as the Detroit Pistons beat the Los Angeles Lakers 111-88 Wednesday night.

"Too much Billups tonight," Jackson said. "He made me want to throw up."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

That's kind of how I see upsets too. Something where if they play the same game 100 times, the outcome is one way about 85 or 86 times, and the upset way the other times.

The Pistons defense forced those bad shots, and the Pistons offense had an easy time on fast breaks against those old guys and Bryant.

19. nuraman00

Because of my quest to find the source of the quote, I've watched a lot of ESPN Finals games the past few years.

Especially ones from the 70s, and the 80s. He was a studio host after 1980, in the 80s.

It doesn't sound like him when I compare to his voice 30-40 years ago. That voice was more high pitched back then.

But, I also remember him doing games for ESPN in the 2000s. That sounds like him, but because it was radio, and audio clips of that are harder to find, it's hard to be sure.

Here's what I asked ESPN a few years ago. I don't think they would have been been able to confirm whether Musburger said the quote. So I asked for a podcast instead.

+++++++++++++++++++
    ++++++++++++++++++++++

I also tried contacting the owner of the site Need4Sheed. Doesn't know.

I tried asking NBA.com.

This was the response:

++++++++++++++++

As stated earlier in this thread, I had already tried ESPN, and WDFN.