R.I.P. for Rip?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by BallDon'tLie, Dec 30, 2008.

1. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Still they keep trying...just like Tay and me.

Note: Interesting how Curry is pumping up Tay's status.
  2. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

with him playing 40 mins a game, he's starting and still anchoring the bench :p

I still think that Prince off the bench is the answer.... wasn't that what everybody and there brother has been yelling for the last couple years?

Now that its actually an option in my mind everybody has forgotten it.
  3. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Just not convinced that Rip starting as our small forward is the answer to success. Not thrilled with AA backing up Tay but he seems like a better option then Rip. He has the strength to defend where Rip is a little light.We need to find more minutes for AA and we already are jammed up at the guard spot.
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Joe is never going to come and tell him that. Again, people think Rip and AI are interchangeable. They are not. AI is the real deal. Rip is a couple time all-star.

MMM hhhhmmmm. :heh:

Exactly.

Simply there are not enough shots and touches for both of these guys. Our defense is better and our pace is closer to Pistons basketball because we have a non-scorer in the lineup. It allows Sheed and Tay to get going.

The solution is not changing what we have going on right now. Re-incorporating Rip, doesn't mean AI is going to lose 20 MPG. It means Afflalo and possibly Amir disappear to the bench again.

Think about that.
  5. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Badda Bing. AI will not now, not ever in this season at least come off the bench.

AI will play 40+ mintes a night guaranteed if healthy. Curry knows this, Joe D knows it.

There is alwaready a place on the bench with Rips's name on it.

Roscoe, I don't know how many ways you can say this and folks will finally understand, AI will NOT come OFF the BENCH.

Keep Rip Fresh so that he can anchor the bench players.
  6. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

That would not happen in a million years. It's one of those unspoken rules of the league that Joe would not break. The NBA is indeed a fraternal order, plus Joe does not intefere with the coach during the season, he's not a micro-manager.
  7. starwar2138

starwar2138 First Round Draft Pick

if ai come off the bench 4 rip then the other super star wil not come here 2010 because of way ai has be treated why do all star have to come off the bench for tay rip or sheed keep it up no superstar will come
  8. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

TRADE RIP FOR A CENTER!!!

Honestly, it's going to be hard to replace Sheed.

The Rip Supporters don't just see the big picture! Boozer or Maxiell at C is just straight up laughable.

That's why Kaman is the best option.

This team doesn't need another Power Forward unless we happen to trade Maxiell and Amir.
  9. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

EXACTLY! It would be suggesting sitting Lebron James, just because Tay has been here longer.
  10. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

If that deal was a possibility, I'm pretty sure Joe would've already done it, Kaman ain't going anywhere, LA is banking on Kaman, Thornton and Gordon as the foundation of their future. Teams that are in the tank will trade away older vets that don't fit into their long term plans, not their young studs.

Yes we do need a PF. As much as I like Amir, he's just OK, as well as Maxiel; they are role players, Boozer and Amare are 20/10 studs upfront.
  11. Pistons Lover

Pistons Lover First Round Draft Pick

I wouldn't say that. AI has came to a certain point in his career where he doesn't have to be as dominant as he has before. You can forget about him being ball hog AI all time as he use to therefore he goes to the bench where he can help the bench produce more. Also, if another superstar comes here esp. a PF then he'll start cause we need a great PF. I don't think no one would be like oh AI not starting so they not going to start me. If that's the case, he doesn't care about the team and he only cares about himself and we don't need a player like that.
  12. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Exactly

No we haven't

And no one can predict that AI is not going to come off the bench for certain and while some are stating their opinion he won't which is fine, saying people need to understand this because members on a forum are saying it is laughable. If AI ever comes off the bench, i think i'll put the effort into making a sig and make sure that's in it at the highest font possible.

If people are allowed to debate the merits of trading Rip in very unrealistic possibilities, then people should be allowed to discuss the merits of Rip or AI off the bench. AI is a super duper star and can't come off the bench b/c he's a super duper star is not a good enough reason for me. If it's a valid reason to TPTB so be it, but to me i'd rather look at who fits better.
  13. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

We shall see soon enough.
  14. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

It will be Rip right now b/c of the injury. I'm dying to see what the long term line-up ends up being which is actually cool since we're so used to the starters and could set a clock on rotations.
  15. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I'll agree with Kgreg that we will not easily receive a quality 5 for a quality SG.... if you're proposing a trade you should first look to see if it works for the other team...
    If L.A. trades Kaman who is their center for the future?
    There are a couple good centers for them in the draft lottery (Mullins, Thabeet).... however this is always a crap shoot.
    L.A. would most likely want another young big in return (Kwame is not welcome in L.A.)
    For our situation a good young center is more important than having solid depth at SG... The need to correct our roster imbalance should be a larger factor than loyalty/sentiment.
    Afflalo is proving that he's ready for the next level.

We should be looking at every possible avenue to land the much needed inside presence for our future... including moving Rip. This may require a third party that has depth at the center position… Philly (Dalembert, Smith, Speights, Theo)… OKC (Krystic, Petro, Sene, Swift)

What are our tradable assets?... depth at SG, PF and future draft picks.
    We have more picks than we could possibly use… the Minny pick is just as good as our 1st rounder (based on a matrix of performance by previous draft picks).

L.A. Clippers Trades- Brian Skinner, Chris Kaman, Ricky Davis
    Philly trades- Sammy Dalembert, Willie Green
    Detroit trades- Rip, Kwame, Jason Maxiell, 1st rounder

L.A. Clippers receive- Sammy Dalembert, Detroits 1st rounder, Jason Maxiell
    Philly receives- Richard Hamilton, Kwame Brown, Brian Skinner
    Detroit receives- Chris Kaman, Willie Green, Ricky Davis (expiring salary filler)

C- Chris Kaman, Rasheed Wallace, Dice
    PF- Rasheed Wallace, Amir Johnson/Dice
    SF- Tay, Afflalo, R. Davis, Hermann
    SG- A.I., Afflalo, Willie Green
    PG- Stuckey, A.I., Bynum

All cap space still in tact
  16. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

I would do a Rip and Max for Kaman (and filler) deal. However, I think you would just cut out Philly as the Clippers would be better off with Rip to pair with Baron, Thornton, Randolph, and Camby.

Throw in Kwame if they want a little added size in return as Kaman/Sheed is enough size up front to make him expendable.
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Can we trade up for a top 10 draft pick and take our chances with a big man there?
  18. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

"I would do a Rip and Max for Kaman (and filler) deal. However, I think you would just cut out Philly as the Clippers would be better off with Rip to pair with Baron, Thornton, Randolph, and Camby."

I would certainly do that also but I doubt L.A. would.
    Who is their future center (Kwame?)... Dalembert had a good year last year... he just doesn't fit with Brand... he would give the Clips a quality replacement until their lotto pick was ready... we could only hope that Sammy, our 1st & Jmax would be enough for them.
    The Clips are grooming Eric Gordon as their SG (invested their #7 pick last year)
  19. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

Good centers have THE most value, especially in a shrinking league. If you had a choice between Dwight and LBJ you take Dwight. Kaman ain't no Dwight but he cetainly has moe value than Rip, and most other wing players. And guys like Max are starting to become a dime a dozen.
  20. detteam

detteam All-Star

Let's not forget Brand.

Kinda weird now to think back to the longevity of CB, Rip, Tay & Wallace x2 as starters when our current starting lineup changes almost weekly.