reasons why I'm afraid

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by TWOTIMESRALPHI, Feb 24, 2006.

1. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

there's always reason to worry. Though we have the best record, we know that regular season doesn't matter comes playoff time.
    Sure, the team's playing well, but there are some things that every fan should keep in his mind;

1.) the PG situation
    Joe D's trade could hurt this team alot. Not because of Darko, but because many seem to underestimate Arroyos value. He was the best backup PG you yould have- some people expect too much from a reserve PG. You can't have 2 Chauncey's on one team. But as offensive minded this team is, it's probably gonna be in a slump whenever CB gets out of the game. He has played 40+ minutes in the last 3 games before yesterday's game.
    And as we have seen yesterday, the bench is far away from being able to carry any load. Hunter is not existing in the offense and Acker is just as good as you can expect someone to be when he gets drafted at #60.
    Shown some flashes, but that's not even close to what a championship contender needs during the playoffs.
    Miami has Payton, SA Van Exel, Dallas has Harris.
    No one wants to think about what's going to happen if CB goes down. Seems like Joe D. would only find out the hard way.
    At first, I haven't made any comment about the trade because I expected Joe D. to make one more move to avoid weaknesses. He didn't do it and this could kill us. Hopefully he'll find a formidable backup somewhere...
    Another reason why this trade sucked is, because, as Joe D. said, it was about clearing cap space. Understandable. But next season, Ben's gonna be 32 and as he lives by his strengths and quickness, it's going to become harder and harder to compete at the highest leve for a championship contender at 32 or older (the same for Sheed and Mc Dyess). So signing him to a fat long- term contract is going to more than risky. Hopefully, Joe D won't miss the traing when it's time to rebuild the team and doen't stick to long with the veterans. There have been lots of teams who did it this way and had very good teams but never won the ring (ok, we got one but we talked about dynasty!)- just remember Utah, for instance.
    2.) Miami
    last year, the reason we advanced to the finals was because Wade got injured. Before that, he was unstoppable and killed us all alone. He has become even better this season and Miami is getting into the groove more and more. In the conference finals, no one is going to think about regular seasons records. And the longer the season goes, the better Miami becomes and they're better than last year (as we are). It's been a long time Tayshaun has shut down anyone. Maybe it's the handcheck rule that makes his defense worse from what he has shown last year.
    3.) Rebounding
    the Pistons have been far away from being good at the boards. Got outrebounded very often which took alot of energy on the offensive end.
    4.) the bench in general
    last year, Tayshaun used the excuse of being tired playing that much when asked why he sucked against Wade. This year, he's playing alot again (40minutes last night)and that probably won't change as Mo Evans and Delfino are still X- factors in the playoffs.
    The Spurs and Heat both have better players on the bench who can step up when needed.
    Especially SA and Horry have shown how worthy a bench can be. And remember, SA's bench has become better too by signing Van Exel and Finley!!!
    At last, I hope I can read this post again when the Pistons have the ring and laugh about how pessemistic I was. Or, if they fail, say to myself that I knew it from the beginning.
  2. max

max All-Star

I think Arroyo is only a marginal stepdown. He only played what 12 MPG? We have Hunter back which will actually help a lot against Miami.

We are set up front. With Darko gone Davis can now play without any hassles. Cato is comming back. Though it was a good move to keep Cato as I would rather have a 5th big than another backup point.

Backcourt/SF we have Delfino, Evans and Hunter. Possible Acker if he can handle it.

I just think this whole bench issue is so far overrated. For one the Pistons have 5 legit starters. Thats whats skewing things. Other teams that have a strong bench may only have 2 or 3 legit starters with the other positions played by committe. Pistons are not a team that has to platoon out a position to 2-3 different players.

Heat have Payton? He is almost 40.
  3. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

Okay check this out:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/statistics?stat=nbaminutes&league=nba&sort=mins&order=true&season=2006

If you check it out, our starters don't show up until the top 40 in MPG. Considering... 5 starters per team, and what 30 teams...

150 players starting, consider that a lot of them don't always start, and our starting five hasn't changed since Larry Brown...

I don't really think we're that bad off. Consider how much Evans and Delfino play compared to how often Ham and Dupree played...

And I do think come playoffs, Hunter will be a better PG to have than Arroyo: Defense counts too (Did you watch the All-Star Game?).
  4. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

It all rests on that backup PG spot. If we get Tony Delk I will like our chances much more. Also, against Miami, I hope Flip buys a clue and plays Delfino a TON against Wade. I'm talking 25-30 minutes. Tayshaun isn't going to set the world ablaze with his offense, so we might as well get someone in there who can defend Wade. I also would like to see more Dice/Sheed frontcourt against Miami. Let's face it, Shaq takes Ben out of the game more than any player in the league. Ben can't roam, and he can't defend him 1 on 1, so it's pretty pointless. We might as well throw Dice out there to keep the defense honest. Cato could also be a factor against Shaq. He's the biggest guy on the roster now.

It all hinges on the backup PG though. I don't think Lindsey is going to cut it.
  5. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

@Superstarov
    I never wrote that the starters are playing too much- but Tay said that he was tired in last season's conf finals. And he still plays as much. Maybe Fino is going to be a solution.
    12 minutes is a quarter of the whole game! CB gets the offense going and whenever he's out, the team's gonna have to switch to play shutdown with only little O? That may work against Indiana, but not against the elite teams!
    Haven't you seen the last game against Detroit when Payton showed that he still has alot of game? Age ain't no matter for role players who aren't playing 35-40 minutes a night and Payton is giving a ton of experience to Miami.

Getting overaged
    Another reason why this trade sucked is, because, as Joe D. said, it was about clearing cap space. Understandable. But next season, Ben's gonna be 32 and as he lives by his quickness, it's going to become harder and harder to compete at the highest leve for a championship contender at 32 or older (the same for Sheed and Mc Dyess). So signing him to a fat long- term contract is going to more than risky. Hopefully, Joe D won't miss the traing when it's time to rebuild the team and doen't stick to long with the veterans. There have been lots of teams who did it this way and had very good teams but never won the ring (ok, we got one but we talked about dynasty!)- just remember Utah, for instance.
    Sheed, Ben and Mc Dyess all are going to be 32 at next season's beginning. It's going to be more and more tough to compete with the Bosh's, Howard's or Patterson's in this league.
    I'm not worried as much about Sheed (he mostly relies on skills and natural strength rather than on quickness) but also about Mc Dyess whose knees aren't getting younger.
  6. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

I'm not afraid.

Just a little bit concerned.

Hunter was bad yesterday. And Acker, well, he needs the playing time. But won't get that much unless, God forbid, another injury happens to Lindsey.

But with that said, I think Acker will do OK filling in. He looked good. Lost but good.

I was not in favor of trading Arroyo and Darko. But I know that it had to happen for cap reasons and I want the kid to work out as bad as he described his Detroit experience to be.

Both of them played great games today especially Arroyo, 18 pts 4 assists with NO turnovers. Darko got substantial minutes with 8 points, 2 blocks and a couple of boards.

Those guys can play.

Here's hoping that I'd be laughing along with you at your pessimism. :fingerscr
  7. max

max All-Star

Two - Tay was playing hurt last post-season and we had 3 tough series in a row with Indy, Miami and SAN. Plus we had to really step on the gas in the latter part of the season to make up for the slow start.

Super - thanks for pointing that out. None of our starters are anywhere near Kobe or AI minutes.

I may further point out that other teams change their starters a lot during the season. SAN's starting center plays 20 MPG. Dallas really only has 2 true starters. Lookup some team stats. Its rare to find a team that not only keeps their starters from the prior year but also keeps them during the year. If you have to platoon out a position that will spike your bench stats big time. The goal of every team is to find one consistant starter per position. We have that. Its not a bad thing its what everyone else is trying to accomplish.
  8. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

Be NOT afraid!!

Yea though we walk through the valley of b-ball, FEAR NOT!!

You know the rest! :nod: