Refs Betting on Games?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by dba, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

As soon as this dude is sentenced if I was Sheed I would file a grivance to get a refund on the 1.6 million that he loss for getting suspended for threating the felonious ref.
  2. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I got Sheed's back !
  3. max

max All-Star

Great article.

Thats what happends when you ignore public opinion about your refs. Calling the fans whiners and sore losers and bringing in that stupid no tolerance rule.

Here you go Stern. It should be a major concern that hardly anyone was surprised by this.

Hate to say it but I hope there are other refs involved. If there is not then I can see this getting swept under the rug using their "Bad Apple" theory and next season being business as usual.
  4. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I think that even if they find no other ref involved, this issue is not going to be easy to sweep under the rug. I wonder, at what point loss of fans will start actually affecting NBA? People are still buying tickets and merchandise, Phoenix is going to sell out 40 games next year irregardles of being screwed by officiating. So it is tough to say what could happen.
  5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

David Stern's press conference is scheduled for 11:00 AM tomorrow.

I believe WDFN 1130 AM will be carrying it live.
  6. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

A Stern test for David tomorrow. Probably his toughest yet.
  7. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Stern's arrogance is what's really going to hurt him. If this happened to the NFL, everyone would think it's just one bad apple and move on.

But this is the NBA, where everyone already believes it's fixed and people have watched refs call games with two separate rule books, one for stars, and one for everyone else.

Curious to see how Lebron's hop step, Wade's ability to draw fouls, and Shaq's charges are called next year.

YouTube - Another Lebron James travel
  8. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

Question for Stern:

Why were your efforts geared towards enforcing a dress code and forcing YOUR ball down player's throats among other trivial pursuits; as opposed to ensuring the integrity of the game and the league?

This man is "power-drunk." He needs to go.

:gun1:
  9. max

max All-Star

Thats exactly it. Only in the NBA would there be this kind of popular reaction to league wide corruption based on 1 guy.

Is it going to make a difference if it does turn out to be only 1 guy? So far Stern has been deaf to peoples complaints so I don't know. They all thought everyone wanted to see Lebran 3 step his way into the Finals.

I don't know we will see. I thought Lebran and Wade getting exposed in the International games would have made a difference and everyone just pretended like it never happened.

Crap rolls downhill. If there ever were any actual league mandated orders to favor certain players or teams then I am sure this ref with nothing to lose will blow the whistle.
  10. detteam

detteam All-Star

Amen...it's been a long time coming. He will get respect from NO one any longer...even after all the spin-doctoring he will throw out tomorrow.
  11. max

max All-Star

12. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

You shouldn't be.

Fans and Pundits alike have notoriously short memories.

They forget things like heated rivalries and contradictory player quotes all the time.

Example: Phoenix trying to place Marbury and a hopefully rejuvenated Penny Hardaway together to form a successful duo.

You mean the same Marbury that refused to shake Anfernee's hand during their first game against each other? He told him that he would never shake his hand because he didn't respect him and his game was garbage. Add some "sentence enhancers" in there for effect please.:)

How that slipped the minds of so many people was beyond me.

Yet, alas, that is the way things are.
    Average retention period for writers and fans = one game.

You're usually only as good as your last game as an athlete.

But most of us should be able to relate. Most people are only as good as the last day they have worked in their respective jobs.
  13. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Annual employee reviews and salary contracts in sports are usually not based on the last day or even last week of performance much more than they are on the job performance over the whole period under review.

Under normal circumstances there will always be a little more weight put on the most recent period during the review period, but only in cases of extreme performance change over the review period will a significant amount of weight be put on the most recent performance vs the performance in the beginning or middle of the review period

:hoops:
  14. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

10 years ago I would have agreed with you wholeheartedly, but since that time I have often been in the unenviable position of arbitrating numerous so called merit reviews and the processes and procedures that have gone into what they are ultimately comprised of by the reviewer.

It has definitely led me to believe that in most cases recent acts grossly outweigh yearly performance on the whole when it comes to areas of review that tend to be subjective.

Furthermore, when speaking to these same people firsthand on a daily basis, it has become even more apparent to me that the predominating opinion they form of their employees is most definitely based on said employees most recent days performance.
  15. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Thanks for the update

That is too bad it has become that way. But I guess it is inevitable given the culture today, with instant news and the latest headline being on the front web page no more than a couple of hours or so, etc.

:hoops:
  16. himat

himat Bench Warmer

When Sheed said "I am tired of all the flopping/cheating" after Game 6 I never thought that he would get this much vindication. 90% sure that other NBA refs do similar stuff, maybe not the exact same thing but things that could effect crucial games.
  17. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

There will not be full disclosure about what doneghy did; doneghy will plead guilty and the rest will go away......the public will not get any details....the coverup has started already.
  18. max

max All-Star

They could take that approach if they are not interested is selling tickets next season.

For the 1st time Stern does not have control over this. The FBI has legal rights to all game footage and the public wants to know.
  19. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

20. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

LOL...good top ten list.