Refs making too much T??

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Ozarkruffrider, Nov 3, 2006.

1. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

What do y'all think? Not just 'Sheed. 2 or 3 others got canned on opening night. I know they want to start limiting the talk and carrying on by players, but SHEESH!!

There was a memo to all players I heard today that the refs would at least warn them, but so far that's not been the case. I think they ought to T them up if they stop the flow of the game--meaning keeping the ref from doing his job by arguing with him while play is going on or keeping them from starting play with a foul shot or throwing it from out of bounds.

2. max

max All-Star

I felt a lot better about it tonight when we got 2 free points out of the deal.

Actually I am starting to warm up to it a little bit. That probably will change once Sheed gets ejected again but for tonight no Pistons were teed and the calls were pretty much even.

The league has to review each tech in order to make sure its balanced. They also have to clarify it and allow players to discuss bad calls. In an ideal world all calls would balance out but we all know thats not always the case.

3. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't know. The techs on Wally and CB were pretty unjustified last night. And Price was one preying mantis shrug away from one.

4. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

AS long as the new rule is on the books.the ref's can use it to punish players that they don't like and give the STARZZ a pass. The rule needs to be changed. It's too subjective!

5. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i had a teacher in high school - everyone said he was awesome, great, etc. the first day though, people who came in late he chastized, he said it was going to be more work than a college class, etc.

then all of the riff-raff got scared and dropped out of the class, and after the first couple days he was super nice and a great teacher.

i'm thinking the same thing is happening here. the refs are going to act this way the first couple weeks until the players get in line and don't act out for fear of getting the tech (already witnessed in szczerbiak last night). they'll soften up as the season goes along.

6. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

:nod: No way they can keep this up during the playoffs.

7. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

I don't trust the ref's not to cover their bad calls by calling tech's on players who object to their incompetence. If you pick a fight, argue too much and delay the game, I can see it. But to call a tech on making a face is ludicrous. Remember that Sheed got a tech for laughing last year. That was just wrong. The league needs to replace some of the ref's who are too prone to dominate the games with arbitrary calls. Joe and Dan Crawford are both hotheads and need to go. They creep me out!

8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

9. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

This rule is so stupid. Fransico Elson got a T for yelling while dunking the ball. Come on!!! I would appeal that. They are dishing out tech's like they are peppermints. It is crazy.

You should only get a tech if you are in the refs face causing, being disrespectful or causing a disruption to the flow of the game by arguing a call.

I remember a couple of years ago Kevin Garnett argued a foul call and he got a tech. He waved his hand at the ref in a whatever type manner and the ref gave him a second tech and kicked him out of the game. Garnett became enraged and began cursing the official out he took off his jersey threw it at the feet of the ref and then gave him a double 1 finger solute and walked off the court to a standing ovation. I could not believe he did that. The next day they asked Garnett why he did what he did and Kevin basically said I got T'd up for no reason. The ref was having a bad day or somehting so he decided to take it out on me so I decided I minds well do something worthy of getting kicked out and fined.

I think a lot of players are going to start showing out like this if this doesn't get fixed soon.

10. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I really think this will work in the favor of the Pistons. Soon enough Sheed will realize he'll have to quit complaining, or else Joe D. and the Pistons will be screwed. At this point I think Sheed won't want himself to mess things up so I thing he'll channel his frustrations into the game. This point of realization has not come yet, because players in the league think there is a fighting chance still. They could be right, but for some reason I think this zero tollerance rule can help the team we all root for, even though it's the team that most refs can't tolerate already.

11. max

max All-Star

That was very good article.

I agree with him on his points. However the one new rule that I supported ( few years back ) was increasing the flagarent foul. Namely because players were getting hurt out there. You can only allow so much contact unless you want to start giving them some padding.

Good points on Sterns citizenship rules though. As he keeps on losing more fans I wonder if it will ever dawn on him that its not he is not doing enough its that he is doing too much.

12. roscoe36

13. Ozarkruffrider

I couldn't help but notice the Techs given out already for the season on tonight's Laker/Piston game league wide. 70???????? and 5 ejections + Odom's tonight. I heard Rick Carlisle being interviewed today on NBA radio and they asked him about it. He pretty much went company line---can allow spontaneous emotion, but not go beyond that blah blah blah and other Captain Obvious comments.
    Way it looked tonight, I got worried whenever any of the Pistons talked to the Refs. I'll be glad when they tone it down and the players get used to it like the new ball.

14. roscoe36

15. Ozarkruffrider

oops----it was 55 techs at the time, not 70.