Regular Season Slackers

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Mar 13, 2007.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Truehoop has an interesting post about playoff performers who slack during the regular season.

True Hoop: Who is Playing Harder in the Playoffs?

One of the readers came up with a measure, and 3 Spurs are in the top 5.

But 3 Pistons are in the top 20 and Rasheed Wallace is not one of them.
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I would like to see the spreadsheet before I make any conclusions. My first question is "How many years of data was used?".
  3. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

I wonder how the players would rate if this system used my Player Efficiency Ratio, wherePERat = PER x TS% x RebRat ÷ (π x MPG), instead of obsolescent and less accurate measurements like "Productivity Ratio".

(The team's current leaders, if anyone's curious, are Dale Davis (3.39), Nazr Mohammed (3.28), Ronald Dupree (2.12), Antonio McDyess (2.08), Jason Maxiell (2.06), and Carlos Delfino (1.59), with Flip Murray (0.34) and Lindsey Hunter (0.38) bringing up the rear. Goes to show that as we come to understand the game more and learn just how foolish some of our old, vague conceptions really were, there was a kernel of truth in them nonetheless.)
  4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

The following quote at the end of the article is what makes this data so hard to interpret.

"Wait a sec, this is supposed to be about "slacking during the regular season" but couldn't it also be seen as "stepping up for playoffs"?

Anyhow, in my opinion, any statistical compilation that doesn't use "Darko stats" isn't telling the entire story.:sssh:
  5. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I didn't read the article and don't plan to. To tell the truth the title and comments on this board make the article seem awfully revisionist in its thinking.

But maybe that is the way of things today

I have always loved to read about players who have risen above their normal seasonal play to show exceptional results under pressure in playoff and championship competition.

That is how I prefer to view it.

:hoops: