Reliving Sheed leaving Horry...professor quoted

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by basketbills, Jun 11, 2011.

1. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Pistonpowered has an intesting bit on reliving the moment when Sheed decide to leave Horry open. Our own professor is quoted and a link to his Go Yago website.

2. max

max All-Star

Thanks for the info. It never bothered me as much as most because we did win game 6. I believe that had the Spurs lost game 5 then they probably would have came back to San Antonio extra motivated for game 6 and we still would have had a game 7 either way. Then again maybe not. Who knows.

3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Being a Y-U-G-E Sheed fan I've tried to downplay and/or rationalize his decision understanding that he was trying to trap Ginobli in the corner and that the Spurs had Duncan posted up on the block.

That being said it is 50/50 that blood will start shooting out of my eyes if I'm re-watching that game when it hits that point.

Serenity now, serenity now.......

4. Ernie the Slow Adult

The Pistons winning that game 6 is one of the proudest moments you can have for a non-title winning team.

I will never forget right after the game when Sheed, Ben and Billups were being separately interviewed and they all met up after they ended and gave each other fist bumps with Sheed saying, "One more, one more.", over and over.

That was also LB's "I love you guys!" timeout game.

These are a few of my favorite things.

5. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

On my crazy days...my opinion is that Sheed led a revolt to have Flipper canned. During each of Flip's 3 postseasons with the Pistons, the team won exactly 10 games. I believe that was a predetermined number picked by the Wallace's as the number of wins they would achieve each postseason. They chose 10 as the victory total so that those teams would be remembered fondly, but Flip would be canned. If I didn't believe this in some form...I would have a much higher regard for Sheed's legacy. Also...I correctly predicted 10 postseason wins here for 2008, based on this...and I was correct...:stirthepot:

6. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I highlighted the most important part of this post. :)

7. max

max All-Star

Another possible outcome would have been Horry missing the shot and Sheed being a hero for leaving him to double Ginobili who as I recall they were trying to get the ball to. One missed shot is all the difference between a hero and a chump.

8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It doesn't bother me that much. It was in the heat of battle and Sheed made a defensive mistake... something that most good players do many times each game.

Horry was 4-5 from deep that game before that moment, so he should have been watched more carefully, but you also have to stop Ginobili.

It would be more haunting if we hadn't won it the year before. The 2nd win would have just been frosting. Making it to game 7 of the NBA Finals is a pretty sweet feat in itself. Miami might not even get that far this year.

9. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

:pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound:

10. Ernie the Slow Adult

If I'm not mistaken, doesn't 10 x 3 = Sheed's uniform # of 30? I think you're [STRIKE]on something[/STRIKE] on to something.

11. detteam

detteam All-Star

AND Ginobli had to make a great pass :lecturer:

1:20 mark in this vid YouTube - ‪Robert Horry Game 5 NBA Finals 2005‬‏

12. Ernie the Slow Adult

That Bob Horry sure could play. When I watched this live I initially thought someone like Tay was supposed to rotate over and didn't. I also can't forget the "Noooooooo!!!!!" I let out when I saw it developing.

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Also take a look at all of the shots that he made when Sheed WAS guarding him. Let's not ignore the possibility of him draining a game winning 3 in Sheed's face.

By the way, it's painful to admit, but that dunk of his was outstanding. He got by Tay (?), avoiding Sheed's reach in, then dunked over Ben Wallace with an unreal stretch that apparently strained his shoulder.

7 rings for a reason. He's like Rodman in that respect. Never the best player on his teams, but a much needed role that few others could fulfill.

14. Susie914

Susie914 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Reading this gives me cold chills.....
    My man Sheed, I know he screwed up on that play, but I still love him and will never think bad of him for it.....we all make mistakes.......

15. Ernie the Slow Adult

That was Rip who was trying to take the charge. Horry had the dunk, a tip in and the 3's in this video. He was an excellent 1 on 1 defender.

He's a perfect example of using a guy properly. If he's starting at the 4 your team probably isn't very good. If he's coming off the bench your team is probably very good. What a player.

Yup. I turn into Dick Vermeil after I watch me some game 6.

16. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Knowing Nobili would bring his team back from -10 with 9 minutes left in the 4Q of game 7 single handedly, tells me he needed a double team.
    LB was no longer coaching this team and was thinking about the millions he would sleeze from Mr. D and the MSG.

17. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Absolutely not. It's called knowing the situation. You're up 2 with less than 10 seconds left. You don't give up a three. At worst case, you head to overtime. It was the stupidest blunder in Piston history.

18. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

And on't forget LB had dinner with Pops the night before game 7 to pre-congratulate him on the win...:stirthepot:

19. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

We already went through this Beer, Sheed should've forced the double and cut off the passing lane. There was only seconds on the clock.

20. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I don't remember that Dre, though quite possible. lol