Report: Hall of Famer Cowens to join Pistons staff

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Sep 12, 2006.

1. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I wouldn't say the player championships count as squat as a coach, I think it can be a big advantage.

But I do agree that coaching experience and playing experience are 2 very different things.

2. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

I agree that Laimbeer, because he was a Piston and some might argue THE Piston, is a special case. I think longtime Pistons fans would like to see Laimbeer given a shot. I would...:) as I am newly starstruck :inlove: (see the video "This is the Moment" starring Lambs). Laimbeer is like the Piston Basketball Jesus (sorry Bill Simmons but nuts to Larry Bird) to me, mainly for HOW he played.

Note: Riley must have done something right as a player, because he shows up in my NBA Greatest Games on NBATV fairly often. And I'm presently reading the pf.com migrating book "Loose Balls" and Larry Brown was a solid point guard in the ABA who was an assist MONSTER. They both made a mark anyway.

:focus: Cowens. Porter. How will they be as assistants under Laimb...? Oops.:( I mean under Flip Saunders? Between them, do they have the spine and cujones Flip lacks? Maybe among the three, a whole NBA coach can be built. :fingerscr :noidea:

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I wanted to see Trammell get a shot with the Tigers too.

4. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

Exactly. Laimbeer could be a special case or it could be wishful thinking. I dunno. That's why this year would have been a good year to find out.

I think it's wishful thinking to assume that the assisstants' strengths will bolster the head coach's weaknesses. Rather, they could exacerbate things if the players think the HC is a lame duck. Joe must know that. Maybe he's challenging Flip to sink or swin. Fine w/ me, however. I'll do anything legal to get Flip away from our players.

5. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

:yellowprison: I'm prepared to go a little bit further than that. How about kidnapping him and shipping him and the last half of his mammoth playbook to a deserted island, say, one month before the playoffs? :sssh: :stirthepot:

6. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

I like this move. I am of the belief that the one common thread the "best" NBA coaches have (post Daly era) is that (unlike Flip) they were former players. The addition of Cowens (Boston's version of Laimbeer, in spirit), and Porter make our AC staff strong again. Plus we got a couple of potential "heir apparents" looking over Flip's shoulder. Flip is a smart guy so I expect him to fully utilize their experiences.

Having said that, I would prefer Bill Lambier (as an assistant) as well. This move tells me that Joe either could not work out a deal with Bill (probably unlikely) or Bill don't wanna be Flip's assistant (probably more likely). I gotta believe Joe ain't forgot about Bill, as they seem to have a good relationship. Ditto for Mr. D.

Maybe Bill needs to come off that high horse and pay some dues for a season or two. What's to lose?

BTW, Scott Skiles is a damn good coach, IMO. I like the guy.

7. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

Agreed -- Skiles is one to watch. Perhaps he burns himself out there. Our guys would probably respond to a coach who wants to play D again. It's strange -- they never looked like they were having more fun on the court than when they were locking down offenses. Yet they still need a coach to force them to do it. Humans are weird.

I'd have to say George Karl's a candidate too if the Nugs go sour. He's great for 2/3 seasons before he gets tuned out.

8. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

"our first version of the matrix was a human paradise. but human beings kept rejecting it. some believed that we lacked the programming language to create paradise for humans. but i believe that humans define their reality through suffering." (more or less)

in any event, nowhere truer than for these pistons.

9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Thought the out of town and overseas fans would like a look at the Hallway Coach, Terry Porter.

If you don't "get" the Hallway Coach title, it's because the assistant always gives the interviews in the hallway at halftime (notice the corridor in the background).

In the Hallway, this coach is mightier even than Flip Saunders.

[​IMG]

10. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I've seen Cowens get a couple of hallway interviews, too. Perhaps they are taking turns...

11. crastinator

crastinator First Round Draft Pick

I'm eagerly anticipating Igor's turn. I say if we have to listen to the same platitudes and buzzwords every time we might as well get it in an accent every once in a while to make the same old, same old sound new and refeshing.

12. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yea, maybe Mike Abdenour and Arnie Kander should do a few interviews...

13. crastinator

crastinator First Round Draft Pick

Now that's an idea... Kander would be incredible: a mix of [SIZE=-1]Kinesiology jargon and touchie-feelie mumbo jumbo.

I've clearly given up on the idea of these being informative and am pushing for the entertainment value.

[/SIZE]

14. linwood

linwood All-Star

That's a great idea. I'm not sure if there has ever been an international hallway coach.