Response to Lee's AJ conversation

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by jammertime, Oct 8, 2005.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Player/ Coach

I don't think that we are talking "player/ coach". Rather, he would become a coach, who would actively participate in practices... to aid in the instruction. Later in the year, he would say, I think that I want to make a comeback, and we would sign him to a new contract and waive either Acker or Dupree.

2. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Right,
    Hunter should be signed (same $'s) as a coach only.... preserving Dupree & Acker for now.
    Then resigned as a player/coach in the 2nd half... at that time releasing Acker or Dupree depending on team needs at the time.

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Hunter

Speaking of which, Lindsay would probably make a great assistant coach anyways. He's one of those guys that can help the Pistons instill the defensive fundementals to the rookies. Just don't make him the shooting coach.

4. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Was hunter always a poor shooter? I remember him and houston scoring decently. Maybe my memory is bad. Well, I know its bad.

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

LHunter

I think that he used to be considered a "scorer", but I don't know how his shooting was.

However, he shoots flat screw-balls now. Maybe he can spend the next 2 months along with Amir Johnson and Dupree working on his shooting mechanics.

6. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

He was known as a scorer in college, thus the initial "next Zeke" comparisions early in his career. On the Lakers he was actually a pretty consistent 3 point shooter. Only in his recent stent with the Pistons has his jump shot gone south for the winter.

7. dthrush

dthrush Second Round Draft Pick

Coach Lindsey

Micro, that was my point.I want to prolong the situation to give the rook's a better look.Lindsey would have to be bought out and clear waivers ect.He then could be paid as a coach and learn the system and play in practice at the same time.
    The trickey part comes latter in the season when you have to chose between Lindsey and one of the rookies for a playoff roster spot .Maybe say ,Acker developes into someone you just have to keep for a defensive stopper(LINDSEYS ROLE).Then you would have to give Lindsey the option of looking to play for another team{an easy pick-up for someone}or who know's maybe both team and player like the idea of him coaching.I think the idea could work if both parties were willing and cap space is available.Maybe someone with knowledge of this could chip in.Rember ,this is just being thrown out there as a wild idea but it's fun to think that it could actully happen.

8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Why? Why would is it fun?

Your suggestions

1) makes no sense
    2) are totally disadvantageous for Hunter
    3) very risky for the Pistons

Unless you really don't like Hunter...

Joe knows what he is doing, and Lindsey serves a greater purpose ON that roster, than gametime. Alex Acker isn't taking his job this year. Ronald Dupree is probably walking because we have too many swingmen.

9. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Ouch!

Micro,

I really think you need to be more assertive in the future. Just come out and say what you are thinking rather than worrying about tactfulness and possibly hurting someones feelings. lmao. :laser:

10. dthrush

micro

CALM down Micro , I don't think any of this could really happen.But it's fun to play G.M.. Isn't that what your doing?

11. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

dthrush

I was just giving Micro a hard time. Don't take it personally, you know he just speaks his mind. :)

12. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

My mistake. I thought you were being serious.

Actually, I am just trying to apply some science to the discussion. What does the CBA allow? What makes sense? Where is there too much depth on the 15 man roster? Who has unique skills that are not easy to duplicate?

Sorry if I came across harsh. It's just that people seem to be in a big rush to run Hunter off of the roster. That's sad, because he's one of the classiest guys, a tireless worker, and a guy who has laid it all out for this franchise.

Back to your post, what guarantee do we have that Hunter clears waivers? What happens to Acker if we have to release him later? What if we lose that asset? Why the heck would we hold onto Ronald Dupree when we already have a plethora of swingmen?

I still don't understand where the fun is in Lindsey losing his job because he was taken off the roster and not allowed to compete for it. That's not thrilling for me.

13. dthrush

I wasn't taking it personaly,I know Micro's cool,I've been reading his posts for year's and just thought I would try to throw a crazy idea out there to see where it would go.I just wanted to know if such a thing was possible.IMO the idea would not hurt the Piston,s any more than loseing one of there rook's.Lindsey's the one who could get hurt only if the Piston's didn't want him as a player any more.