Rest: No clear advantage

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, May 4, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

From Hoopsworld, who after taking my money last summer (merc warned me too late that their rumours are totally vaporous) seem incapable of covering any Eastern Conference teams with regularity except the Orlando Magic. Yeah, poke my eyes out! But, Hoopsworld are the original Texas jock huggers, so if it is Dallas, Houston or San Antonio, you can be sure they will report every time someone pops a zit or spills a beer. [/rant]

Anyway, this bit is about the perception of an advantage when finishing series early and getting rest before the next round starts. Interesting topic. Too bad it's about Dallas.

Hurry and Wait
    By "Chef" Edward M. Bauerle

The first round of the playoffs are coming to a close and sure enough, the same debate that has been discussed every year since the format of the playoffs was created is being debated again. That of course is the opinion one way or the other about the benefits of closing out your opponent in a series sweep, while your second round opponent is in a six or seven game series that allows you at least a week between the first and second round.
  2. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

To me the value of rest depends a lot on the ability of a team to shake off any lingering lethargy and get themselves up to game speed. The level of professionalism likely plays a major role on how far out of routine players and coaches allow themselves to stray.

With regard to preperation there is probably no substitute for R&R.

The Association schedulers certainly do no favors when they provide only a day for travel between series.