Return of Big Ben

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Jan 4, 2007.

?

How do you feel about Ben playing against the Pistons?

Poll closed Jan 7, 2007.
  1. I miss Ben!

15 vote(s)
    44.1%
  2. I like Nazr Mohammed!

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  3. Bring Darko back!

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. Goon Squad!

15 vote(s)
    44.1%
  1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Will you cheer? Will you boo? Does your heart ache when you see Big Ben in a Bulls' jersey?

Wallace misses partner in grime on ChicagoSports.com

2. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

You know the routine...(and my answer).

Besides, the CHI media have decided that they will hate Ben Wallace because his contract (as if he should have just turned it down and said, "No, I don't deserve this money....is there a way you could sign me for less money?", no matter how well he plays to earn it.

This is a thinly veiled attempt at suggesting that Wallace isn't that good and that Rasheed really proped him up.

Nevermind that most other media heads in the NBA are spending their spare time maligning Rasheed for Kerr-ing (settling for too many 3s) - hows that for the pot calling the kettle black - and/or not bringing enough to the table in the absense of Big Ben.

All I know is they are both solid and people have resigned themselves to hating one or both of them for no valid reason at all.

The reality is: most of these talking heads are out of touch and have no idea what the heck is going. For them everything remains the same for the length of any one players career. Just last week when we played on NBA TV, I heard one of the guys refer to the Pistons as a tough defensive, slow it down, grind it out kind of team. GREETINGS FROM TWO YEARS IN THE PAST! PLEASE STAY A WHILE.

No clue.

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

From Chris McCoskey's blog that is not a blog.
    DETNEWS | Weblog | Pistons

4. Pwn Toney

I DID see that today....knocked me right off my toadstool

5. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

We're still a slow-it-down team - second slowest pace in the league, just like last year, and down almost five possessions per game from the Larry Brown era. That's enough to make the statistics look half decent even if the actual defense is average at best.

6. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

i will boo ben relentlessly.

1. he cost us a championship last year when he quit on us
    2. he forced the trade of darko
    3. he refused to take less minutes to develop darko + jmax
    4. he is a malcontent and deserves every boo

7. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm glad I won't be there, so I won't have to make that decision.

Ben was my favourite player when he was with the Pistons, but the way he left still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Signing Nazr for 5 years only makes it taste that much worse.

It's very similar to the way I felt when Barry Sanders left. He was my all time favourite player but the way he left the team left me feeling bitter and resentful. It took me years to get over it. Now, given the pathetic state of the Lions, I don't blame him at all. He abandoned ship before being pulled down with it.

Of course the Pistons aren't a sinking ship by any stretch, infact, they helped make Ben a household name when most had given up on him. I also don't like that he went back on his word.

.... I'm leaning towards the booing.

8. max

max All-Star

When you think about how we got Ben. Ben was playing for Orlando who just had signed Hill and McGrady and were projected to be the team to beat in the East ( with or without Ben ). Ben left that to join the struggling Pistons for the money. Orlando did not think he was worth it, the Pistons did and Ben went where the money was.

So why should it surprise us that he did the same thing 5 years later? Why leave 12 mil on the table? And thats not really a slam. Some say Ben was greedy for wanting more money than he could spend but what does that say about Billionair Davison? Why should he have put an extra 12 mil in Davisons pocket for the pleasure of playing for the Pistons?

Anyway, Bulls got their guy. If they had payed more attention they would have known that we usually got burned by those highly athletic centers. Only so much you can do as a 6'6" center. Ben always knew how to cover for his teammates on defense which Mohamed does not have a clue.

Bulls are an up and comming team? How much more can they grow? Their best shot is hoping the Knicks bomb out so they can get another good draft pick. Then again their high pick from last summer has not been making an impact.

9. Pwn Toney

Whoa whoa whoa....talk about revisionist history. Ben's contract and his desire for money had NOTHING to do with him coming to Detroit. As a matter of fact, Atkins was more known than Wallace at the time and BOTH OF THEM were give aways by Orlando in order to make the sign and trade work.

No one ever asked Ben Wallace his opinion on the deal and there was absolutely NO discussion of how much money Ben Wallace wanted to stay in Orlando.

Now, you guys have just gone off the deep end with the Ben Wallace hate. Your version of that transaction is completely baseless and nothing along that line of thought has EVER been reported/printed/complained about/discussed on TV/mentioned by broadcasters/recounted by bloggers/or anything else you can think of.

10. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Have fun with that, bball.:rolleyes:

11. max

max All-Star

Low - sorry but that is just not true. Ben was not a throw in. Dumars had targetted Ben as an FA before the sign and trade. The trade happened after all parties had agreed to switch teams. Ben was an up and comming PF at the time who had a great year for them.

I also corresponded with an Orlando beat writer at the time and as I recall he was surprised that Dumars had offered Ben so much. Everyone wanted to keep Ben but did not expect Dumars to make "such a huge offer" as he had described it.

Ben came here for the money and he went to Chicago for the money. Whats so hard to understand?

Yes he is going to play for us for 5 years and decide to throw it all away over a disagreement with the coach.

12. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Ben isn't too hot in Chicago is he?

Maybe a month ago I would of booed at Ben, but I won't now. It will be unfortunate to see him in a Bulls jersey. I have only seen a part of one Bulls game this season so that sight will still be new to me.

I hope Chauncey is healthy by Saturday. The game won't be complete without him.

13. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Ben doesn`t strike me as the sensitive type, he probably doesn`t give a flying fish about the booing.

I want to see Ben and the Brahma face off; old school vs. new school!!

Teacher vs student.......Delfino and Tay will have their hands full with Deng and Nocioni, should be a great game, with or without CB.

14. detteam

detteam All-Star

bball...that's not very nice...taunting MoTown like that :stirthepot:

15. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Did someone say something? :)

I miss Ben. He's given me no reason to believe he isn't a great guy and I hope he plays well against us only to lose in the end. That would be the perfect scenario. Hopefully the crowd shows some class and cheers for his years of dedicated service.

16. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

well he's given me plenty of reasons to believe he isn't a great guy.

the game is in chicago. but i heard they are booing him there too. now jmax will dunk on ben. twice probably. he can blame it on having no legs since it's a back to back.

17. Pwn Toney

I never said he was a "throw in." I said he was less known than Atkins at the time.

Additionally, no matter how many times you say it. Ben did not come here for the money. Orland traded him here. He was happy to come because he would have an opprotunity to get minutes and improve his game. He was ALREADY UNDER CONTRACT and there was NO discussion of his salary involved in his arrival. The one contract he DID received was AFTER he had already been a Piston via the trade from Orlando.

18. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Duh, I knew that. :nerd2:

If he performs well, which I expect, I'm sure the crowd will be behind him. 20+ rebound games heal wounds quickly.

19. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I don't like the way Ben left. Seems like he could have given Joe a warning instead of leaving us high and dry, and still got his big paycheck.

Still, I wouldn't boo him. I can't forget all the great basketball he brought us as well as a championship to boot.

If I were at the game, I would applaud. I might even give him a standing O. No, I wouldn't whoop and holler, but I'd show my appreciation for the good times.

For all of his petulance, he stood for what we've come to love about this team.

Oh yeah, and I hope we kick his traitorous Bulls ass all over the court!

20. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Ben was not coming here for money, furthermore, he was underpaid during his time with Pistons.
    I miss Ben, but the fact was a roster shake up is inevitable because every team can foresee every offensive play of our starters who had been together this long. And unfortunately he was the one to go because ther's no his business in Flip S' game plan.
    We have had an old proverb, "the barracks stay like iron while the soldiers flow like water" sounds curel, right ? I miss the days of non-fly-zone and the guys who created it side by side.