Richard Hamilton wants his 32 retired

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by MisterZ, Oct 20, 2009.

1. MisterZ

MisterZ First Round Draft Pick

2. HarryFWong

HarryFWong First Round Draft Pick

Puff the magic dragon... Still a better read than a Keith Langlois Spew&A drivel-piece.
  3. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You would think that mask and headband would have some impact on the swelling of his head.
  4. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

it's just puppy love...
  5. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It came across to me as though the writer went to Rip and asked him the questions, like: Rip, do you want to be in the hall of fame? Do you want to have your number retired? etc... Rip says yes, and the story is now that Rip goes around telling people he wants his jersey hanging in the rafters and to be mentioned with Michael and Larry. Sometimes I think the writers already have the stories written before they even interview players.
  6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I think Rip would like to see his 32 retired.

And that is cool. I do wish he would focus on winning titles to win titles, not winning titles to get his jersey retired though.
  7. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I wouldn't mind seeing his jersey hanging from the rafters...as long as he was wearing it at the time. :stirthepot:
  8. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Interesting question. On a team full of non-superstars where the sum of its parts outweighs any one or two players, you kind of have to retire them all or none.

It would be hard to retire Billups but not Rip. Ben but not Sheed. Lindsey but not Mike James...

Ok, maybe the last one is a stretch. But you get the picture.
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'd tell him that if he can win another title, jersey retirement will be guaranteed. Also, a statue of him will be erected outside the arena.
  10. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Stockton and Malone got statues, and they didn't win any championships. Rip is getting ripped.
  11. discotom

discotom First Round Draft Pick

famous last words.
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Malone- NBA records
    Most free thows attempted
    Most free throws made
    2nd in all-time scoring
    1st in defensive rebounds
    14 time all-star
    3 time all defensive team
    11 straight seasons with at least 2,000 points

and on and on...

Rip is a rounding error compared to these guys' stat sheets.
  13. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Didn't he win the Cheapshot Thug of the Year Award a couple of times, too?
  14. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

No way in hell I'd retire his jersey. Would we have won the championship with a dozen other shooting guards in the league at the time? Yeah. I think so. He was on our team for several years and overall was a pretty good player. For that we retire jerseys? Don't cheapen the jerseys that are already up there.

If we retire anyone's jersey off of that team, it should be Ben Wallace's. It just seems right.

Let's remember Rip as we should...

[​IMG]
  15. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

That's an erection I can do without.
  16. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't know about that. I'm going to stick up for Rip here. He pretty much carried us through that Indiana series.

I wouldn't consider retiring his jersey to be diminishing the value of the others. I mean, Miami retired Michael Jordan's number - what does that say?!

The Celtics have a number of role players who've had their jerseys retired, simply because they were part of the title teams in the 50's and 60's.
    Don Nelson (10.3 career PPG), Frank Ramsey (13.4 career PPG) and Jim Loscutoff (6.2 career PPG) are examples.

So he wouldn't be the best player or the worst player to have his jersey retired, but he was a major component of our title in '04 and for that reason deserves consideration. With the Lottery and the CBA in place today it's simply now very difficult to establish dynasties and win multiple championships.

Rip has meant a lot to this franchise (7th all-time scorer - will become number 6 this season), has spent the better part of his career here (8th season coming up), is a 3-time all-star (no easy feat on a team loaded with talent) and has a championship ring, so I don't see why he shouldn't be considered.
  17. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

That's a good point, but I do believe that Ben and Billups stood out from the rest... they were the most important pieces to the 2003-2006 Pistons.

Those are the only jerseys that I would even consider retiring (from this group). Rodman's jersey still hasn't been retired by the Pistons, which is a joke.
  18. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

after the way he didn't return for the ceromony a few years back... i have to think its as much to do with him as it is the pistons...

I asume that in time it will be put up there.
  19. MACKSnare519

MACKSnare519 First Round Draft Pick

I can not fathom NOT retiring numbers 32, 1, 3, 30 and eventually 22. That starting five was something special.

If lesser players with lesser roles than that of Rip's can have their jerseys retired, why the heck Rip---who has been so vital to us during our run--- wouldn't deserve to have the honor of having his jersey in the rafters? In ten years or so, we will look back on the 03-07 Pistons run and realize how special Rip and the rest of the team was (particularly in 03-06)

We're not talking about the NBA or Basketball HoF... we're talking on a much smaller scale. Having a jersey retired is like being an HoF-er for the franchise. Rip deserves that, no question. Check his numbers, check his consistency during our run... check out his growth from 02-03 thru 07.

Don't judge him for 2008-09 alone. That entire year is an eye sore for just about everyone involved with the franchise. Rip's career means much more to the Pistons than just one mistake of a season.

Number 10 should be retired as well, but more so for Rodman and maybe not so much for Hunter(even though his defense was oh so valuable to our run)
  20. linwood

linwood All-Star

Totally agree. Rip may not be as great of a player as guys like Stackhouse or Hill, but his contributions to the franchise have been far greater.