Rip doesn't want to go to the bench

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by alexa032, Jan 10, 2009.

1. max

max All-Star

Lately is seems that people are more excited about Stucky than anyone else.

2. Menace

Menace Bench Warmer

Cmon Roscoe, don't tell me you 100% believe what a reporter writes down as if it's the truth, lol. You never have some sort of doubt about anything you read in the press?

Btw my posts arent aimed at the reporter just at ppl's reactions.
    If Rip said what he said there is nothing we can do about it anyway, so no need to go off on it, just let the Piston organisation handle it.

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I don't trust the press at all.

But I have been reading and listening to Chris for years, and while he is a lousy analyst, he doesn't make stuff up. The guy actually asks an important question, getting to the type of information many of us love to get, and prints the response, and gets demonized for it.

Unless you have some proof that he's fabricated his article (a serious charge that could lose him his job) why do you insist that there is some inaccuracy in what he wrote?

Good point. No sense in running chat either. There is nothing we can do about the outcome of the games.

CLOSE THE FORUM! IT'S OUT OF OUR HANDS!

:rofl:

4. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Rip and Maxiell for Rudy Fernandez and Raef Lafrentz.

Get it done Joe. We get (IMO) the perfect compliment to Stuckey for years to come, who won't mind coming off the bench until AI is out of town, and get yes.... Even more cap space.

5. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Lafrentz??? has he even played this year??

If we need to trade Rip and Max, I would look at maybe the Thunder as a trading partner as someone suggested and look at swapping them for Chris Wilcox and Jeff Green.. You are getting a 6'10 C Wilcox who could possibly start and 6'9 swing forward in Green to back up Tay

starters >RS/AI/TP/RW/CW

bench >WB/AA/JG/AD/KB/AJ

utility reserves> Fabio/Acker

6. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I'm about to start a thread with this article, but talk about what being a team player and Piston is all about, this now my favorite Piston, hands down!!!!!

Weekend Dime: Talking deal or no deal with Donnie Walsh - NBA - ESPN

7. FreshPrince22

Lafrentz is a 12.7M expiring. That's all we need from him. Combine with Sheed and AI and we're talking over $48Million in expirings. We could add a max free agent this year AND next year if we wanted (Boozer and Amare?). For this year, we'd essentially be the team we are right now plus Rudy Fernandez, who bring that flat-out deadly deep-ball shooter to stretch the D out for Rodney and AI to wreak havoc in the paint.

As for the Thunder deal. I doubt you'll be prying Jeff Green away. I would certainly go for a Wilcox and Green for that package, but I don't think OKC goes for it. I like the deal with Portland because I think Portland would have good reason to make the deal.

8. roscoe36

If Darius Miles comes back on the books, Portland needs to keep their cap relief.

And besides, who will sit down so Rip can start? That scrub Brandon Roy?

9. FreshPrince22

Rip/Roy start next to each other at the SG/SF spots. They'll be a little undersized at the 3 either way, but that doesn't hurt in the West like it does the East (w/ Lebron, Pierce, etc). And I still believe Rip @ the 3 isn't THAT bad. It's Prince at the 4 that kills the small ball thing. FWIW, I got the Rip to Portland idea from a Blazer fan.

As for Cap space. With Darius back on the cap they'll be at ~51.8 Million even if they renounce both Frye and Diogu. If the cap stays roughly the same as it is (as predicted) that gives them about $6.2 Million. So, basically the MLE, which they could have even if this deal went down.

Cliff notes version: Blazers really don't have cap space anyways if Miles is back on the books.

10. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I mean when as in the future in the PO's. I don't think it's unrealistic to think this is not a team that's going to go to the finals or that deep into the PO'. Sure anything can happen (and if we make it to the finals, i will be thrilled; I'll probably be drunk and thrilled) but as of right now we don't look like a contender. Now when everyone gets healthy and the SL situation gets resolved it could be a completely different story.
    I don't mean winning a bunch of regular season games and then losing badly in the PO's. Of course people stopped caring. It was like groundhog day over and over again. And i think fans are smart enough to realize that Flip wasn't a championship caliber coach and/or that that team wasn't going all the way. It was also the same rotations, the same bench (none) players, etc. Winning did not make us stale. The way we lost every year on repeat did. I mean putting a competitive product out there with a realistic shot in the PO's or at least something people could root for. The fans in DET cheer for defense, effort etc. We kept going further away from that formula and eventually turned into something no one recognized.

It's funny. We're the opposite. This season i have been missing alot of games in favor of going out, sleeping, etc.

11. Menace

Menace Bench Warmer

I didnt say you can't discuss it i said "no need to go off on it". Guess i am not as an emotional person as the rest, i tend to be rational (or atleast try to).

For me there is a difference between saying/discussing it wasnt a smart move by Rip and how it will effect his presence withijn the team or just tearing someone apart and flog him till he bleeds.

I haven't been reading or listening to Chris for years, so he could be right about what was being said. I dunno, like i said i wasn't there and at 1 point in my life i just stopped believing ppl who are telling what others say. I distrust ppl, so any report i read i regard as informational or something that could be true, not as something that is 100% true.

Clearly the report gives an indication that Rip aint happy coming off the bench and that he doesnt want to. But so is AI.

No news there.

12. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Well put.

13. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

From McCoskey

Pistons gearing for long season | detnews.com | The Detroit News

Come on guys, don't disappoint me. That AI, what a selfish, cancer, etc. Does he think he's above the TEAM ? Trade him! :pound::pound:

14. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

Explain that thinking.

Tayshaun Prince..........6'9", 215 lbs.
    Rip Hamilton................6'7", 193 lbs.

If you take a look around the Eastern Conference you will see that Tay is just as tall as the majority of the match-ups he draws at the 4 while giving up approx. 20 lbs. 20 lbs. is a lot to give to someone but with his reach he can counter that at least a little. Rip on the other hand is nearly an inch shorter on average and what's worse is he is giving up approx. 30 lbs. per match-up. He weighs 193 lbs! I found the average weight of a starting SF in the East to be roughly 225 lbs.

Numbers aside, my point is that Tay has the length to at least attempt to guard a PF while Rip has a hard time "D"ing up someone his own size.

:lecturer:

15. roscoe36

We all know what you meant. You're the one person here who doesn't watch the games, forgets they are even playing, can't seem to account for the fact they have been winning, and then proceed to tell us we have no chance.

16. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

You have a point lpgrl...we have a clash of egos and Coach MC is going to have to deal with it. There won't be any volunteers.

The logical conclusion is that if Rip has bloodflow problems off the bench he should be traded. AI is here for the year.

17. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

You know for someone who doesn't watch any of the games i have to say i'm extremely insightful to come up with all this analysis through just looking at the box score.

No comment on AI not wanting to come off the bench either ?

18. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

i missed the ai quote saying he won't come off the bench.... can you please show it to me.

I was/am fine with neither wanting them to come off the bench... but only one player has been quoted saying he won't do it.

19. roscoe36

Rational is being paranoid about a newspaper report, with absolutely no reason to doubt it?

Wow. Look, McCosky printed/got an answer, the sort of which many of us live and die for. We hate that the reporters softball the team, we hate that no one covers them objectively, digs deep etc. So a guy does his job, does it well, and by all accounts, does it accurately, and you blame him, because Rip says something stupid.

That's not rational. Sorry, not letting you off the hook on this one.

Well, you did claim it was unsubstantiated, then back pedaled. Sorta the same deal as Menace. What you call objectivity, is the radical opposite in this case.

I don't get why McCosky has to be the soft target for Hamilton's and the team's issues. Maybe we should just stop getting any Pistons news, lest there is something for the fans to talk and argue about?

20. roscoe36

I don't think anyone considers your posts analysis.

Where is the source for your statement?

Surely, as someone studying law, you know the difference between proof and speculation