1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Rip doesn't want to go to the bench

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by alexa032, Jan 10, 2009.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Player Comparison Finder - Basketball-Reference.com

Btw, Arron has no starts this year. Those other guys all get to start and play the bulk of their minutes with the team's best players.

4 months ago, no one in their right mind would have said trade Billups let Stuckey start.

Well Rip ain't Chauncey, and Spellcheck ain't Bogans.

2. roscoe36

lpg, I think too much of you to take this question seriously.

The standard has gone from replacing Rip, to replacing Rip and playing for a championship team.

You have not only moved the goalposts, but they are now outside the arena.

I don't even know why I am wasting a Saturday morning on this.

Rip needs to knuckle down or get lost. And spellcheck is going to take his job one day, because the kid is humble and works his butt off. The same reason (IMO) why Chauncey isn't here anymore. Some people lose the fire.

3. max

max All-Star

Yes unfortunatly one does get the feeling that Rip is the only guy who is not exactly on board with the direction the team is going and what we are trying to accompish this year.

Its a tough call since Stucky, AI, Rip and Tay all deserve to start. And I do put Stucky on that list since its about time we started treating young guys a little better. Prince would not be the player he is today if he had to wait 3 or 4 years to get the job.

If we have a chance to get a decent frontcourt guy then maybe its about time to part company with Richard Hamilton. With that said we will not know for sure until he actually does comeback.

4. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Maybe i'm misunderstanding, but isn't the whole point of the post that we can trade/replace Rip because we have a future SG in the wings that will be ready very soon ?

In terms of the long-term ramifications we would be expecting AA to step in next season and the whole look at DJ/Nuggets, etc was to prove that we would still be just as good with someone who's not a scorer at the two ?

-------------

Both AI/Rip are going to have to "knuckle down" and find a way to make this work.

5. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

What do you mean? All of these teams you mentioned are championship caliber teams from the point that they will make the playoffs and will atleast make it to their conference semi-finals. A injury or two on the opposing team or they catch a team slipping and they can be in the Conference Finals you never know.

RIP has painted himself in corner right now. He should have kept his mouth shut. Now he looks bad and if AI is told to come off the bench even if it may be best it looks like RIP has the power and is above the team. That's why I think RIP will either come off the bench or will be traded.

6. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

In order to be championship caliber don't you have to have a realistic chance of winning a championship ? There are only 3 contenders IMO right now and those are CLE, LAL, BOS.

7. detteam

detteam All-Star

So if Curry sends Rip to the bench, does TGRH start pouting? He needs to understand that he works for the team and not the other way around.

8. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

That's the thing. You don't know what will happen. Once the playoffs start all bets are off. In 2004, were the Pistons a realistic Championship contender? They had got the the crap kicked out of them by the Nets the year before and were swept. So going into the playoffs the next year who thought they would make it to the finals and defeat the Lakers? Not many people if any. Who thought Dallas would get beat by the Golden State Warriors 2 years ago in the first round? Stange things happen in the playoffs. Any team that makes it to the post season has a chance to win it is just a matter of what they do with it.

9. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Yes post Sheed, we were. Anybody who watched DAL and their choking. But though i disagree i get your point.

10. roscoe36

Why do you keep bringing AI up?

Anyone who has been paying attention will tell you he's been a model teammate, and he's doing everything he can to buy in.

Rip on the other hand has headed in the other direction, first with his emotional meltdown with the trade, then his getting hot in every game, and now his insistence that he's a starter?

Seriously, how much credibility would Joe and Mike have if they pulled AI to the bench, and gave the starting job to Rip, after these last 9 games?

Do you think it is a coincidence that we're winning without Rip and Sheed, and struggled to win with them?

Do you think it is coincidence we knocked off Orlando, Denver and Milwaukee?

11. max

max All-Star

Don't let anyone tell you that we are not contenders. More than a full 2nd half of a season to play. Boston has only won 3 games out of their last 10 without any serious injuries.

Thing about AI. You can't just look at the box and say he shot 8-21 or whatever. You have to watch the games and see what he does out there. He makes everyone else better. Prince has been getting open looks, some of our more offensivly challenged players have been benifiting from AI.

I like the direction we are going in.

12. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance First Round Draft Pick

I agree with most of you on this subject. If Rip really said that (who knows about the source) he needs to re-evaluate the situation or be traded.

As for AI I am impressed with the guy. I knew he was a great player (future HOF), however he has really been meshing with the team and playing great as a teammate. His offense has, for the most part, been within the flow of the game. He's taking over at crucial situations. He's getting steals, and his defense has picked up recently. What more can you ask from the guy? He's great to have around, you can see his passion and will to win.

I trust Curry and Dumars will handle this situation, obviously they see how well we have been playing without smallball, and I seriously doubt we will go back to it. I would hate to see Rip get traded, but if he thinks he's above coming off the bench or above the team he needs to go. He would be a great asset for this team. Think about how good they would be with Rip coming off the bench for 15-20 points a game for 30ish minutes. Then with Sheed back it would be fun to watch to say the least.

13. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

They were winning comfortably without TG, but it has been more of a struggle without Sheed. If 6 Dumb Fouls really was 6'11 Sheed would be in the papers saying he should come off the bench when he returns.

Larry Bird came off the bench after being hurt and the team had to tell him to start.

14. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance First Round Draft Pick

I agree, people don't appreciate the intangibles AI brings to the game. Almost every time AI draws at least two defenders, sometimes three. This means open shots for other players. He brings fire to the team (much like Dyess in this regard), he really wants to win. He wrecks havoc in the passing lanes. He's been having some off shooting nights as of late, but he heats up at the end and is a clutch shooter.

Sorry I'm really bringing on the man love today, haha. But I can't wait to see this team in the playoffs. We have basically a whole new look and it's exciting.

15. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

There is a simplicity to how AI scores that does not exist with TG.

I think in most of these instances these quotes can be misconstrued, but there isn't much wiggle room here.

16. theheroes

theheroes Second Round Draft Pick

I feel you RIP, No way I come off the bench for anybody on this team. Give me 3 reasons as to what RIP has not done in Detroit over the last 7 years that warrents him loosing his Starting JOB? I am with RIP 100% on this one.

17. roscoe36

What warrants him losing his starting job besides the HOFer who took his job and the team's win streak?

PAGING DREW BELDSOE! THE PATRIOTS WANT YOU BACK. TOM BRADY IS NOT ALLOWED TO TAKE YOUR JOB! IT'S NOT FAIR!

Of all people, Rip should be able to appreciate the situation, because "if it ain't rough, it ain't right"

18. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

b/c IMO, AI would have the exact same thing to say if he's asked to come off the bench. He hasn't been asked therefore we don't know. So you assuming he would be the model teammate or me assuming that he wouldn't be are just that; assumptions. I'm trying to point out people jumping on Rip should realize that the situation is not black and white and they don't really have enough information to classify Rip as all of a sudden cancer while AI remains perfect. And in doing that i probably prop up Rip more than i should to get the point across.

---------

IMO, it has nothing to do with Rip/Sheed being in or out. I think the credit going back to the traditional line-up and Amir Johnson. Some of our most impressive wins have come with that lineup with Rip and Sheed (LAL,SAS). The only coincidence is that we win when we play big. Insert Rip in for AI and IMO you have the exact same scenario.

Rip just recently hit a clutch shot against UTAH to send it into OT, and was playing terrific before he got hurt, but no one remembers that. They just dwell on his greving/shortcomings, etc (real and imaginary). AI has flaws too, and those are just glossed over. You won't see much criticism for AI being a defensive turnstyle or shooting 10-57.

I think Rip's an idiot for saying what he said to the press, but i can't say he should be traded or he's a cancer b/c other players on this team value starting just as much as him. There was no backlash to AI pouting when he was benched in crunchtime or when he made that comment in the papers. It's frustrating that AI's "hall of fame" status makes him above criticism in some people's eyes and it's frustrating to watch Rip go from our talented SG to some mediocre player that we need to get rid of. I felt the same way when people turned on CB.

But everybody's entitled to their opinion. And i'm just continuosly banging my head against the wall as you probably feel like you're doing as well.

In an odd note, this seems to be the only piston forum that is such a big AI proponent (i don't mean that in a bad way). The difference in opinion is just interesting. Random comment, but I'm reading through the game thread on DBB.

19. roscoe36

Speculation.

I listen to what he says, and I watch how he plays.

You did the same thing with Billups when the trade went down. IMO, it's about AI, not Chauncey or Rip.

We just beat Denver on their homecourt with Kwame and Amir. Gimme a break.

It shouldn't be frustrating. CB and Rip can't carry AI's duffel bag. He's earned the leeway he gets. No one gave it to him. And while he may not have won a title, I think we only won a title because of Ben and LB. Certainly not CB and Rip, who have spent 3 years putting up #s and going to All Star games, and then collapsing in the playoffs.

This is a postwar house. The walls are plaster, not drywall. I would probably give myself a concussion.

Then Slippy would take over, and everyone would want to leave me out on the corner for garbage collection.

This is the most adult Pistons forum. Some of us span 20+ years being fans. We've seen HOF Pistons, multiple titles, classic battles.

Army, HQ and congo (amongst others perhaps) watched games at Cobo for crissakes. They saw Greg Kelser in his prime. Guys like me, Low, Motown, D4E, cut our teeth on the bad boys.

In the usual chat, you've got BillLaimbeer, Woody, Army, me, D4, Dlev, Low, sometimes HQ, KG, detteam.

That's just a small group of us. We've seen guys go out badly, and guys go out on top. We've seen all kinds of trades from Lanier, to Kelser, Tripucka, Rodman, Dantley to Hill, Billups and Stackhouse.

We all follow the Pistons regardless of who is wearing the uniform, and for the most part don't care what sneakers who is wearing, or who got introduced when before games.

This is where all of the old fogeys are.

20. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

No wonder I feel at home.

This may have been mentioned but did anyone notice that when Bynum came in to guard CB....there was an immediate reaction shot of The Griever, on the bench doubled up with laughter?

I just don't think, at this point Rip has any chance of meshing with this team.