Rip doesn't want to go to the bench

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by alexa032, Jan 10, 2009.

1. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Or perhaps he has been refusing to get completely on board with some of the coaches philosophies, which prompted Mike to sideline him for a bit while he shows him that he is neither bigger nor better than the system being implemented.

That would make for great drama.
  2. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

no its still wrong to be that "stuck" on himself.... he needs to show he's interersted in whats best for the team and that things will work themselves out for the best. There is a reason the coach hasn't made a puplic statement whats going to happen and Rip either is unwilling to play team ball, or is unable to keep his mouth shut about things the team isn't ready to announce.

The more I think about his comments the more I get really flustered with him and the more I wonder how needed he is.... him and all his hot headed techs and laid back "if it aint rough it aint right" comments.
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

NYP, it was never my intention to leave anyone out, however I did not know your age, and I always try to respect the discretion of a lady. :)
  4. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Its okay. Age ain't nothing but a number. I am 47 and in great mental and physical condition. I love this forum and the pistons.
  5. adonis

adonis First Round Draft Pick

Come on Ros, you are old enough to know women. I am newly married with a 10 month old daughter, but i know already that a woman that has seen the second world war could only be 30 and something years old. women don't age like men. It's a fact. lol

6. roscoe36

Yup, it is the spot for geeking out on the Pistons. :good:
  7. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

This is all funny. LPGRL, you aiight with me. I don't agree with anything that you're saying, I think you're way off base, but dat's aight, we need somebody to argue with. For years this has been my virtual barber-shop. Now a days people don't talk sports in the barber shop like they used to, they mainly talk about Rap and gangsta stuff in the hood. But PF.com is the stuff, there are some serious Piston minds in here who are some serious Piston geeks. We know the salaries, the contracts, the numbers etc etc.

That being said the deal is this: If Rip said, what Rip said, then he needs to go. We don't need to speculate about ANYTHING else, no what if this player would have said____ nonsense.

On a side note, when was the last time McCrapsky wrote anything that got folks talking like this.
  8. roscoe36

McConduit spills the beans sometimes on WDFN. He knows a lot of stuff he doesn't put into print IMO.
  9. max

max All-Star

lpgrl - You love AI. He gives you a ton of new material to write about.

Unless we go back to small ball then someone has to go to the bench. Rip, AI, or Tay the coach is going to have to make a choice. At this point it just seems best thing in the teams interest is to make that guy Rip. Perhaps if AI or Tay were out and we won 9 of 10 then one of them would seem logical but so far we have been doing pretty good without Rip.
  10. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

He is afraid he will lose his access if he prints some of the stuff he knows. No access means no job.
  11. Menace

Menace Bench Warmer

How about speculating if this is actually what Rip said? I read an old post from someone saying about Chris McCosky: "He never gets tired of being wrong"

See, i never trust what reporters write down if i can't hear the interview on audio or video. McCosky wrote: "Our exchange went something like this" that leaves a lot of room for how the conversation really went. Maybe Rip said: "i don't think that is gonna happen" A reporter loves to put these things out of context and make a bit of a story out of it.

You guys act/post like you have bugwired the Piston lockerroom and Rip's house/car, etc.
    No one really knows what is going on or what is being said. Curry said on WDFN that they hadn't really made a descision yet and hadn't talked to Rip and AI yet.

Yes, clearly Rip was messed up after the trade, but had good games after he put himself together again. In my opinion the winning streak and good games come from starting to play a "normal" unit aka no "small ball". It is not because Rip (or Sheed) not playing.

PS. Rip is not my fav piston so don't really care if he is traded or not, but going off cause some reporter wrote something down, pffff

PS (2). If Rip did say, what he said, you think he is ever gonna give McCosky another interview, lol
  12. max

max All-Star

Good point.

Its not an easy choice. Whatever Curry decides he is probably going to get a lot of flack for it.
  13. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

I usually don't co-sign too many posts, but this is one of those posts.

In this case, screw Richard Hamilton. Cap-space him with Utah. I don't care.
  14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Small ball

Rip out with a groin tear, very likely from overuse. Trying to play bigger, more physical players than he is capable of on a regular basis.

Tay can't hit a three. One for the month, or is it two months now with just one made three.

Stuckey, bad back.

Just playing too many minutes. Or was it from Stuckey being depended on to help down low on defense too much, since we so often did not have two bigs in the game?

Between the small ball played to date, and just simply overusing players, Curry does not have a good record so far in managing his players. Playing small ball maybe was forced on him? But nobody said he had to exclude guys like JMAX, Kwame, and Amir so much, all of whom could have been played more to lessen others' minutes.

And by the way, AI needs his minutes cut too. Curry has a long way to go toward righting the wrongs he has done so far.

To the good, and no, it does not excuse the all the bad - he has now played Amir, JMAX, Stuckey, and Afflalo enough minutes this season as to where nobody can complain. They are at the moment at least,all part of the team. Lets all hope Curry does not backslide on that.
  15. max

max All-Star

I do agree thats its too early in the season to be playing 40+ on a consistant basis but AI is used to it. The other pistons are not.

Not sure how Rip tore that thing, just sort of happened. Blaha said something in the last broadcast of playing too many mins contributing to Stucky's injury.

When has Tay ever been a big 3-point guy? His jump shot has really seemed to improve this year though. His defense is better as well. Prince was our Billups stopper last game - notice how they put Tay on CB when CB was hot in the 1st half? CB could not blow by Prince.

I also agree that there was no justification for Amir and Kwame to have missed so many games - especially Amir. Kind of the result of small ball there. If Curry does decide to stick with it then that does not mean that he has to play it for most of the 1st and 3rd quarters.

Overall there has been some mistakes made but I do believe that Curry is getting better. He also offers new things for the team such as yelling out from the sidelines when the team is going into a funk - not sharing the ball, missing defensive assignments and whatnot. The improvement has been significant from the start of the season so there is no reason to think that it will not continue.
  16. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

DET was playing in Phoenix during Flip's first year here. It was the height of the Suns small ball era and Dyess went to Flip before the game and said that he would understand if he didn't want to play him that night and not to worry about it.

Sheed at least twice volunteered to come off the bench under Flip.

CB made sure everyone knew at the start of the year that he'd still be taking the last shot and TGRH just says, 'It ain't happening'. Too bad he wasn't referring to getting abused by Sasha Pavlovic.
  17. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

You ask when has Tay been a three point guy. How about 06-07. Tay made 39% of his 210 triples taken. Tay has shown to be very capable indeed of knocking down three's.

Last season, we had him play less, and he shot less threes as a percentage of his shots. He still shot 36% on 146 taken.

Now this season, he started out hitting on at least 2 threes in 6 of his first 8 games.

But then Curry started playing him 40 minutes, dropping Herrmann out of the mix.

Result. Tay missed a bunch of threes, and then just quit shooting them. He is 3 of 22 in December / January combined.

He was 0-16 covering the one month period from November 25 to December 26. Yes, a whole month of not any three's made by Prince. I was not just imagining things.
  18. max

max All-Star

One of those things where I did not realize that he took so many.

Still - do you think its a result of fatigue or all the half court sets we used to play? Because he sure does look good in crunch time. I do applaud how he has been taking it into the paint more and more this year.
  19. roscoe36

Sometimes, you just can't win, eh? :D
  20. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

Rip is more like [STRIKE]Canada[/STRIKE] Cuba. He's a small annoyance that could become very big. :swear2: