1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Rip doesn't want to go to the bench

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by alexa032, Jan 10, 2009.

1. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm waiting to see if they can avoid their annual second-half collapse before I conisder Orlando a contendor.

That's an extremely crass stereotype. How do you think the many morally upright, family values NBA players feel when people say these kinds of things so flippantly? And I don't want to hear some crude response such as, "they are paid to not be human and to take our crap without it bothering them". Because that's baloney. The money excuse is just a sorry attempt to excuse ourselves from being ugly towards other people. The real reason we think it's ok to do so is because the Internet is for all intents and purposes anonymous, at least on a sports talk website. People stereotype lawyers as well. Do you like that?

I think it's really fascinating to see things like this happen. Someone makes an unsubstantiated quote of someone. Someone posts it in a public forum. Everybody adds a little flavor to the stew. Soon enough, the sky is falling, Nazis are invading, our children are running off to be prostitutes, and a once-franchise player has become the spawn of Satan. We don't have anything to go off of to claim that Rip is not going to come right back and be the missing link that will push us over the top, accentuate everyone's skills and fit in nicely. It's blind paranoia, and every comment that expresses that paranoia makes the next person even more paranoid. I just hope that if Rip does come back playing well, that you guys will have the decency to admit that you went off the deep end just a bit here.

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

What was unsubstantiated?

3. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Tay supposed to be a better 3 point shooter after the olympics, imo. Tay was primarily used as a defender and a spot up shooter during the Beijing games. So he must have practised shooting those 3s a lot.

4. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

I don't know but did Rasheed play at Virginia Tech?

5. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

bleep Rip...trade him for Kyle Korver///lLOL

6. coynejeremy

I really don't care how accurate the quote was, my point is that it was one statement, we don't know exactly what was said (or if McConduit just gave his juicy version of the conversation), and then we all fell apart. Let's have the stamina to watch a few games with Rip back before we fall into one big neurotic heap. That's all I'm trying to say.

7. roscoe36

:hmmm: :swords: :nopompom: :laugh: :victory:

8. coynejeremy

:pound: Sorry, I'm really lost with this...statement.

9. roscoe36

:hmmm: :laugh: :swords: :icon_evil: :jedi2: :nod:

10. coynejeremy

:bs: :movingon: :diablo: :nod:

11. roscoe36

12. detteam

detteam All-Star

I think it best to respect everyone until they give you reason not to.

This is a stereotype. For the record, all men are not shameless and without moral conviction. Likewise, all women are not perfect. The number of NBA wives that cheat might be equal to the number of husbands that do it.

13. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I understand exactly what you are saying. I for one will not have any kind of a melt down based on something McCoskey wrote - unless I know the whole story. Like you say, it does not matter at this point how accurate the quote is. Until we actually know if the quote is accurate, or just something McCoskey is concocting to stir things up, its not time to tear into Rip.

14. Menace

Menace Bench Warmer

:thumb[1]:

That's what i meant.
    Remember everyone fell over AI when he missed practise in Nov, Pistons just talked to him and for them it was over and done with. Same will be with Rip.

And btw does this mean you all believe the tabloids then don't you.

15. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

We're talking about direct quotes from the subject of the article, not fabricated third hand trade rumors.

That may not be the most relevant of analogies.

16. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

As I read the posts here, I thought that LpGirl or Cloudwalker had the most responses. It just seemed that way after I caught up. Actually Roscoe had almost their combined total matched. :eyebrows:

This has been a tough subject to ponder, but I really want to see how the others on the team treat RIP when he comes back. I really think we're gonna have RIP long term... :nod:

17. Menace

Menace Bench Warmer

How can this be a direct quote if McCosky wrote: "Our exchange went something like this"

There was an interview in the Cosmopolitan last month in the UK, which was all made up by the writer (as was later confirmed). So quotes, Q & A, etc doesn't mean a thing.

18. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Because he's not quoting himself or any third party, only Rip's part of an exchange.

19. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Well i was going to say AI cheats on his wife, but he's not the only one and i didn't want to get pitchforked by the AI brigade so i held my tongue and used a blanket statement. I highly doubt what is said about these players is 1/hurting their feelings, 2/even on thier radar, and 3/ something they even care about. Unless Sheed or some other player logs into this forum everyday and is creating a newsletter about my comments, i would be willing to bet my entire life's savings that my comments are just that comments on a message board that none of them read. And i really don't see a problem with posting these comments on a sports forum. The whole point is to be able to engage in coversation about basketball.

I'm sure if Tayshaun kept hearing about how he plays/is like a p*** (can i say that?) it would hurt his feeling in real life just as much as being told he was a cheater, but that's ok to say right ? or that Rip is a mentally-weak selfish you know what person ? If you're taking exception with my comments, then you should take exception with alot of what's posted on forums in general. If everybody censored themselves and only posted PC comments, Roscoe could just pack up and shut this place down.

And in terms of lawyers i hear those stereotypes to my face everyday and from my good friends as well (in fact more from them; jokingly and serious). If i let things that people say about lawyers affect me to that degree i would never leave my house. To be honest i couldn't care less. I know alot of lawyers are like that and while it's a stereotype most stereotypes don't appear out of thin air.

As a basic human being yes, but respect does not = entitlement to something.

20. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

regardless of anything else, what rip said is disturbing, and it *is* similar to chauncey's quote about who's going to take the last shot in a close game. both quotes are disturbing because they display feelings of entitlement and inflexibility. that's not what the pistons are about. those kind of quotes, to me, say that they don't care about putting the team first...that they are more important than everyone else.

if rip doesn't change his attitude and won't even consider coming off the bench, then it's time to move him. coming off the bench is not an insult to his abilities...it's not like manu/odom/ak47 are considered second-rate players or anything, and he shouldn't care if it hurts his market value (like it did for jmax) because he just signed an extension!

the only issue is that if you trade him for a guy like camby/kaman, you overcrowd the frontcourt and lose a *lot* of depth at SG. but i'd rather have that than keep him around if he doesn't change his tune.