Rip doesn't want to go to the bench

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by alexa032, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

How do you know what he said? Note, I did not bother reading the rest of what you wrote. Not to be disrespectful, but simply for the fact that I do not want to take time to read speculation on something that may or may not have taken place. Peace out.

2. Menace

Menace Bench Warmer

Well i am done with this thread, it seems that most ppl posting here are so close friends with Rip they know exactly what he says, how he feels and his look upon things. The minute a reporter writes a story down with so called quotes from Rip, they say; yeah without a doubt, that's our Rip.

I am sorry but i am not that close with Rip so can't really compete with you.

Just on a side note; i once read that in a team there is always 1 guy that gets blamed and is in the doghouse. First it was CB, since he left it is on Rip. If Rip gets traded, for sure it is gonna be someone else that will be picked upon and be the black sheep.

3. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I will put this baby to bed by saying Rip said, the Detroit News printed it.

I guess now we are trying to be selective in what we read in the Detnews and Freep press sports section.

So this means everytime we read player comments in the news media, it's up to us to differentiate whether the press (McCoskey is lying) BUT, this is only when some of us on this forum wants to use his article to satisfy their own self-fullfilling prophecy.

Let's use several case examples if I may, I submit to you direct quotes from todays Detroit News, Chris McKoskey;s article:

Quote #1 from Today's Detnews "Antonio McDyess continues to play with Rib, thigh and finger issues" -

[sarcasm]
    Now why in the hell should we believe McKoskey here, as we all know, McDyess is known for hotdogging, malingering an
    d always comes up with fake injuries so that he can miss games.
    [/sarcasm]

Quote #2 - "Iverson isn't a fan of being subbed out of games for defensive purposes. He made that clear to Curry during late stages of Pistons win at Denver Friday"

[sarcasm]
    Chris McKoskey is a damn lie..Who the hell does he think he is making such irrational statements when we all know that Iverson can't wait to get out of the game in crunch times. He has never been one who feels comfortable in taking the last shot.....McKoskey has a lot of nerve
    [/sarcasm]

Get the message, some of us here agree with Mckoskey when it is self serving, (you know who you are).

If Rip was quoted in the press of something that he said, especially something that blatant and goes against the grain of Joe Dumars philosophy, Rip would not hesitate to come out the next day and refute that statement. That is what athletes do. As of today, he has not repudiated the statement, why you say? because he made the statements folks. For those of you who don't believe, based on my experience, the first step is recognizing that you are powerless and denial is a biotch.

4. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

it was quoted directly. mccoskey said that conversation went 'something like this' because he didn't have his *own* exact wording of the questions. so he didn't quote himself, but he did quote rip, and AG is right, it hasn't been refuted so i'm willing to accept those quotes as the truth.

5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

No disrespect, but speculation and conjecture are the reasons I don't read 90% of YOUR posts.

6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I can't get into this discussion anymore because people are being completely irrational. I hope many of you realize you are calling McCosky a liar because you don't like what he reported.

7. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I don't understand why people are defending RIP so hard.

My whole point from the jump was that if RIP feels this way he should have kept it in house and voiced it to Curry and Joe D. I feel that RIP voicing this in the media is an attempt to force Curry's hand. RIP may feel threatened by AI's presence and he is trying to guard his territory. I don't know. The fact remains that Joe D. said their are no sacred cows this summer. So what is best move for the team moving forward will take place regardless of RIP and his feelings. The 2004 team is no more. The 2004 style of play has long been gone. This is a different team.

8. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Well said ArmyGirl...not sure why some are still not believing that the conversation took place or the quotes... might as well let Curry play this one out when Rip returns on Tuesday and if Stuckey is healthy then we will see what happens on the court the next 2-3 games.

9. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

My point is not about how accurate the quotes are. I don't really care what was said. My point is that some people are flying off the handle here and preaching doom and gloom when in reality, we don't know yet if there is really going to be a conflict when Rip comes back or how it is going to play out. So I'm just trying to tell people to calm down and look and see what happens. Many on this thread seem to want to crucify Rip for what they THINK is going to happen in the next few weeks. One quote, positive or negative, doesn't mean all that much in the grand scheme of things.

My initial reaction to the quote was that Rip better watch his back if he really feels this way. Then I read all these posts and the thread seemed to turn into an angry mob gathering with pitchforks and tar and feathers. That's why I commented the way I did. So for me the issue isn't about what Rip said, it's about people in here overreacting to it.

I'm just trying to be your friendly neighborhood voice of reason in here. :MusicBigGrin:

10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I can understand that.

I'm just sad it leads people to accuse someone of lying when they have no proof.

Lots to debate here. Should Rip start? Does Rip make us better? Can you lose your job to injury? What is fair? Those are valid.

But calling a journalist (who isn't a very good analyst) a liar, when he has never shown that in a decade of covering the Pistons... that's just not right.

If anyone has any proof, or even a basis for his inaccuracy, please present it.

11. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I will wait for Rip to heal up and start playing before I decide if he is selfish or whatever. The newspapers can print what they want, but we will see if Rip is willing to come off the bench when he actually starts playing again. Until then lets wait before we tear him apart.

As for the NBA player stereotypes. Many men cheat on their wives. We just hear about the NBA players more because they are under the microscope unlike everyday people.

12. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i don't have a problem with rip's game. in fact, i think it'd be great if he stayed here this year, as he's been shooting well and defending alright. he's one of the few players who we never really complain about when it comes to game-by-game performance and he hasn't had a bad playoffs yet. he is very versatile and a useful player.

but i'm not married to him staying, and *if* his ego becomes a problem then i won't be too heartbroken to see him go.

13. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

The same reason i reacted so strongly. I'm not disputing Rip said it. Him saying it or not saying it is not the major issue for me.

If people love to pick apart quotes so much, why don't we pick apart how AI doesn't like to be taken out for defensive purposes even though he knows he's a bad defender and AA being in the end game situations over him helps us. Kinda lends credence to that random blogger who was talking about AI being upset about being taken out of the game.

And on the flip side AI feeling that way has not caused nearly the amount of problems (in fact it hasn't caused any) that are all predicted to happen from Rip's quote. It sucks. He doesn't like it. But on the surface it seems whether he likes it or not he's dealing with it in a mature way.

If Rip had said something like i hate sitting out end of games, we would have a 50 page thread about him being a cancer, selfish, needs to be traded, hey he's not that good anyway, etc. before it plays itself out, and even in the face of Rip sitting on the bench at the end of some games and not saying a word (which has happened)l Instead of oh look he's dealing with it, people would say "Did you see how Rip laughed at said teammate", "Did you see how Rip didn't hi-five AI", "Did you see Rip grieving on the bench", "I bet you he's texting Chauncey".

The double standard is comical. What has Rip done to not afford the same benefit of the doubt that we seem to give to every other player ?

14. Menace

Menace Bench Warmer

But is there proof that Rip said what was reported and written down.
    I am not saying that McCoskey lies, just think it's kinda ridiculous to go on a manhunt when you don't really know what was really said.
    Talk about "people are being completely irrational."

None of us were there when the convo took place. Rip might have said; "i don't think that is gonna happen" and McCoskey turned it into "that ain't gonna happen".

I don't know what Rip really said or didn't say or how he said it, all i wanna point out that i think it's stupid to say he said it for certain, based on a story by a reporter, like reporters never lie or change bits and pieces to score a scoop.

I rather have it like he might have said it and we will see the outcome when he is ready to play again. Does he start yes or no and if he doesn't start aka come of the bench how does he handle it.
    Wouldn't it be silly after all this %%%%%ing towards him, that he comes off the bench and he playes fine and seems to be alright with it. Will all these ppl who are harrassing him now say, hhmm we seemed to misjudged that situation with Rip.

I have to agree a 100% with coynejeremy.
    I gues i am just trying to be another voice of reason in here, lol

15. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I don't think McCoskey has a reason to make things up or put words in RIP's mouth. His lively hood depends on his access to the players and the team. Do you think he would get two words out of any of the Piston players if he was just creating things out of thin air and put it in print? When players are misquoted they usually come out quickly and correct what they said. Has RIP done that?

We will see what happens. It doesn't matter what we say in here on the subject anyway. It will be handled one way or another by the Pistons Organization. They created this by trading for AI so they will have to make it work one way or another.

16. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

17. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Coyne, it really doesn't matter what we say in this forum because ultimately we (on this forum have zero influence on pistons management decision). We are on this forum doing what we do best, advocating, criticizing, and verbalizing our feelings on what we would like to happen.

I just see very passionate fans who believe in a team concept, some of us don't, some of us go back many years with the pistons and have earned the right to challenge each and every move, that's why Roscoe have graciously developed this forum for us to do just that. Sorry, it is what it is.

If Rip comes off the bench today or tommorrow, it won't change my destiny, what I will cook for dinner today and will I choose between wearing prada or mariah perfume tommorrow. I am absolutely positive that others in the forum feel the exact same way. Except for maybe TFD (lol) just kidding. It ain't that serious. Just talking and discussion points.

18. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

TGRH has been the leading scorer on one of the worst offensive teams in the playoffs the last few years. It is crazy to think they can go on without him or do better than him. TG also might be the tallest person on the planet with Napoleon complex.

19. max

max All-Star

As Himat said we will have to wait and see what happends. But I do get the feeling that it may not be pretty. Rip is a multi all-star at the height of his career. Why would he want to come off the bench and take a reduction in his role? It could be something where it may be in the best interest of both parties to move on but we will see. Who knows if Rip will even be the guy asked to come off the bench.

20. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

You know what i completely forgot, AI has already come off the bench in his career (I won't get in to details of how he dealt with that).

And what if Rip has already been told he's going back to the SL before he was asked that ?