Rip doesn't want to go to the bench

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by alexa032, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I agree AG. I think to some people it is just more important for them to be right than for them to try to learn the truth.

No matter what Rip does, Roscoe is going to wear his spiked "blank me heels", Jammer is going to wear women's undergarments, Slippy is going to hit on both of them, and Linwood is going to get pulled over for drunk driving.

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

And yet McCosky was, and you are calling him a liar.

3. Pistons Lover

Pistons Lover First Round Draft Pick

I think Rip should've just kept his mouth closed. I mean if he doesn't want to go to the bench so what. Other players didn't want to go but they did and now they are cool with it. We are making a big deal out of nothing. If he is asked to come off the bench and if he does, I doubt if he takes the Vince Carter route and try to lose games for us. He can be upset all he wants but at the end of the day, that where he'll be.

P.S. I don't want him to come off the bench. AI should. It'll help the bench offense much more than Rip coming off the bench.

4. roscoe36

That's one of the better pro-Rip starting posts to this thread.

It is what it is. And yeah, he probably should have kept his mouth shut, like when he said "if it ain't rough ...". That wasn't a smart thing to say, and we all say things we regret sometimes.

Frankly, I don't think this dog has a bite. He can talk all he wants, at the end of the day, as you said, he's gunna do what he is asked to do, same thing with AI if he is asked to come off the bench.

5. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Again I'd like to say I really am not sure who I want to start and who to come off the bench.... I am actually of the mindset to start Prince off the bench if I had to be pushed to a decision....

This all has to do with the attitude problem this team has had for the last 3-4 years. whether it was "flipping the switch", "if it aint tough it aint right", or spending more time gettting T's (and as bad as sheed is, T's atleast have a chance to focus him... we can't say the same about Rip) then getting back to the next play.

I don't expect any player to "want" to come off the bench.... they are human and I understand that. Everybody wants to be the man.... fine...

The problem comes when he says things that are not him saying I don't want to come off the bench... but saying "I Won't", "It isn't going to happen"...

Compared to AI not liking to be taken out for def purposes... he doesn't like it..... GOOD, every player should never want to be taken out... But I have yet to see him say He won't get taken out...

I hope everybody saw the comments AI made after the Denver game about his bonehead foul on the 3 point shot. He said it was dumb... he took the blame, and went on to say if they had lost the game his team mates would have had to board up the windows of his hotel room and take the sheets out of the room because he'd have wanted to kill himself....

Again... my whole beef is with attitude of me before team, I honestly don't know who I want starting/finishing. it should be based solely on who gives us the best chance to win the game. (which means it can and probably will be different from game to game)

6. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Good post round. I don't see how anyone can argue with that (not to say they won't try).

7. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Ditto. I have said it before. AI should come off the bench and Rip should have kept his mouth shut. People must also understand that Rip probably just came from a treatment of frozen bananas to treat his groin so he probably was not in the best of moods.

8. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Good post...I am of the same mind. Tay, Afflalo and Bynum could be an interesting group.

Part of the problem that has been a motif with me; is that coaches have to mix styles, and strategy on a improvement basis. The days of entitlement are long past.

9. pass99

Oh?...then I guess that would explain it.

10. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I don't want to add fuel to this discussion, but here are a few observations that I think must be mentioned.

1) RIP is being vocal about going to the bench because he knows he is the one that will most likely will have to.

2)It is not a accident that AI has become the face of the Pistons and the new leading scorer. When the trade was made it was made to shake things up not keep things status quoe. AI is now the player that is interviewed almost after every game not RIP.

3)Let's not forget the marketing aspect to this. We didn't see the Ripster 5 game package. Instead we saw the Fiverson ticket package and a AI jersey selling blitz by the Pistons organization.

I say all this to say, the bottom line is money. AI is a household name and he puts more butts in seats than RIP. AI is more of a rating draw than RIP. AI is a future Hall of Famer. That is the honest truth. It sucks, but it is what it is.

11. pass99

What set this all up, is the following text by McCosky:

It is clear, though, that Curry thinks the Pistons' best chance of winning is with the bigger, more traditional lineup. Hamilton or Allen Iverson could be asked to come off the bench.

Those first four words are conjecture on McCosky's part and is a lead-in into some pseudo situational reactions from those that do not know any better.....and McCosky should.

For a journalist, factual information can be boring and some juice to the cocktail might loosen some lips. For us, it is so much fodder that easily sidesteps the cow-pies (or manufactures them). But for someone who might have to make a living and justify comments to the players (after the fact), might lead to some embarrassing thoughts on who might be planting (and allowing) the reactions to become exposed by McCosky. Let us remember one thing: saying, is not the same conclusion as interepretation...when it becomes, the final written word.

In the business, this is referred to as a "floater".

12. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

That is excellent input.

13. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I can definitely respect that.

Hmmm, I don't know, I think it will definitely have an effect on my decision. :MusicBigGrin:

That's why I think it's a little premature to jettison the guy before he even has played one game since his injury.

That's what I suspect as well.

Wanna bet?? :boxing:

Very astute observation. :pound:

14. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Well that ratings draw is going to dry up real quick when we start losing, and if AI continues to shoot 30% and we struggle, i don't think said fans will hesitate to turn on our new cash cow.

What happened to bringing in the fans by winning? Is that no longer considered a viable strategy?

15. max

max All-Star

When we start losing?

AI is a 4th quarter player and thats always exciting. Thing is the Pistons are in direct competition with the Red Wings who just won the Stanley Cup last year. So thats part of why 6 straight ECF's fail to excite the fan base. I think fans do appreciate a team trying to do something to get better.

16. roscoe36

You mean, if, not when, right?

17. Menace

Menace Bench Warmer

Where do i state saying he is a liar. See this is about the interpretation of things. You suspect i am calling him a liar because my posts are somehow misread or clearly i am not able to get the msg through that i want to. McCosky could be right or could be wrong, Rip might have said it, he might have not.
    I don't really care about Rip or McCosky.

I just don't understand why ppl go off on Rip based on a story by a reporter. Like reporters are the most honest ppl in the world and never add some just for the flavour of things. Ppl judge so soon based on something they were never part of.

18. roscoe36

I don't understand why people blame the reporter and accuse him of being a liar, when they don't like what Rip is quoted as saying.

19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I wouldn't expect Rip or AI to accept a bench role without some hurt pride. That is why MC has been in such a tough situation and why he went with an un-ideal solution in SB. And also, we've been debating this exact dilemma all year.

Tay, Sheed, AI... they'd all hate going to the bench. And it wouldn't all be for selfish reasons. These guys would honestly believe that the coach was making a mistake and that the team would have a better chance with them getting the bulk of the minutes. These guys aren't just jocks, they're uber jocks with more self confidence than any of us could ever imagine.

20. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

going to the palace all season, honestly AI hasn't really drawn more fans...with the down economy they are still practically giving away tickets.

it wasn't for the past few years even though we won a lot of games. heck, even i got bored of the regular season and tried to sell a lot of tickets to the games on my plan because i knew exactly what i was getting every single time. last year my buddy and i actually forgot to go to a game.