Rip Hamilton to come off the bench

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Smoooth, Jan 20, 2009.

1. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

I still don't think this will work. Rip and/or AI are going to have to take a big minutes hit in order to get the other guys on the floor that win us ball games (Afflalo, Amir, Kwame, Max). Not to mention I really believe against a decent team, Rip is going to struggle mightily off the bench. When he goes into force mode it gets way uglier than AI in force mode.

I guess we'll be better the first few minutes of each half.
  2. adonis

adonis First Round Draft Pick

Manu Ginobli was not demoted to the bench. He still is one important part of SA

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Personally, I'd rather see SB at the start of a game than at the end. If MC takes 1/100th as long to make a decision mid game as it took him to make this decision, then they'll both be on the floor in crunch time.
  4. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

umm, we've seen this in action already...

is Will effing Bynum going to be his PG?
  5. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

on the espn trade machine it has kobe listed as having one. says 8 years of service and 4 with his current team to be able to get it in his contract, i can't find any other player with one though.
  6. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Rip will never be another Ginobili. Manu attacks the basket, Rip does not, however Rip and Dyess might be a nice offensive combo off the bench.
  7. AI IS GOD

AI IS GOD Second Round Draft Pick

That aint happening got huge slap today, nice. AI to the bench is crime for basketball viewers, AI entertains Millions around the world.

Thankfully the right thing happened. I say limit his minutes for now, and trade him this month . Amir Jhonson as starter and RIP on the bench is a waste. Get a big men.
  8. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

why dont rasheed and rip come off the bench??
  9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

This news, even though expected, made my day.

Hopefully, this move will reduce both Rip's minutes, and AI's. Even Stuckey's.

The guys who win us games, our energy players, Afflalo, Amir, and JMAX, collectively should get more minutes.

I expect the ship will soon be righted, and cruising along full speed. Even Kwame will end up getting more minutes, as we often find ourselves well ahead in 4th quarters.

Yes, it is still possible for Curry to mess things up. Forgetting to use JMAX in games where Amir is not fouling. Pairing Sheed and Dyess too much. But I doubt this kind of thing will happen as much. I believe Currry will end up bringing in JMAX whenever Amir does get into foul trouble early, keeping Dyess ready to start the 2nd and 4th quarters. It should all work out. And Afflalo will end up being Tay's sub. If things go well with the 2nd unit, hopefully Curry will leave Afflalo in for at least most of the 2nd quarter. Basically, yes, I only see positives from this move.

The one issue though I still think needs addressing is a taller backup at small forward. I hope to either see Amir play some small forward minutes, or see Sharpe get some playing time.
  10. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

So much for Rip not being able to be about the "team". Amir better be put back in the SL.

Not wanting it to happen and it ain't happening are two different things. I don't think AI to the bench is crime. It really isn't that serious jeez.

Besides this likely will not work anyway.
  11. AI IS GOD

I hope AI is resigned in summer now. He wants a ring , not money as he has plenty of it.
    AI for little contract + Pistons can add as many superstars as they want around him.

Boston has the big three, they are so strong.. To win NBA title you need alot of luck and sacrifices.. AI sacrificing money, playing for underrated contract... Joe D can add whoever he wants in the team
  12. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Doesn't this decision sorta freeze out AA and now make it so Bynum will get consistent minutes ? :frusty:. Curry doesn't like AI at PG.
  13. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Maybe AA could play out of position and get some minutes at SF. Otherwise he will be down to nothing.
  14. AI IS GOD

AI will not play PG..

I think AI will play 30, Tay 30 and RIP 30..

In the minutes AI and RIP will be together, RIP will be SF , AI at SG and Tay on bench..

Stuckey plays 35- 38.. 10 minutes of Bynum I guess.
  15. theprince22

theprince22 First Round Draft Pick

Rip to the second unit.
    I hope he isnt going to be complaining. If he treats this the way he said he would in the interview at halftime during yesterdays game, this team will really benifit.
    he said something like
    "If i need to move to the second unit so be it. AI and I both know that this is best for teh team, and if we want to win a championship this is what it will take."
  16. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I posted this in the other thread, but figured it would get more response here.

First of all a team meeting? Really Curry? And second good job team. LOL
  17. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

We better hope it works....

It’s not an experiment. “This is for the rest of the season,” Curry said.

What's wrong with experimenting anyway? Maybe all of then would value their playing time more if they knew they had to earn it.
  18. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Maybe Curry means abandoning SB is permanent ? I don't know. I didn't like that quote either.
  19. max

max All-Star

Thing about a players meeting is that Curry has to start thinking about his own job at this point.

Rip will probably get more shots off the bench than in that defunct starting line.
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

WON'T HAPPEN.