Rip Hamilton to come off the bench

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Smoooth, Jan 20, 2009.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

All hail bureaucracy!
  2. detteam

detteam All-Star

3. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Yes. So for the record:

THE TEAM IS NOW GOING TO VOTE TO GET ARRON AFFLALO BACK IN THE ROTATION.

Since it's in a thread it must be true, oh while I'm at it let me add that this statement was made on a Global Website by Roscoe36, so it must be true!!!!!
  4. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

I am not sure that Bynum will be taking all the minutes that Stuckey doesn't play. I think we will see AI take some of the PG minutes which will open up minutes for AA at both the 2 and the three..
  5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The guys on TNT just said there was going to be a meeting. They didn't say who would be involved. They definitely never said there was going to be a team vote. This is all just pure nonsense. :bs::movingon::nopompom:
  6. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Here's the facts:
    AA's MPG w/Rip = 24 mpg
    W/out Rip = 9.8mpg
    Now those 9.8 mpg came with us playing SB, meaning that Tay's PF minutes opened up some run for him. When you add ANY time for Bynum on the court it means: ARRON AFFLALO IS NOW OUT OF THE PLAYING ROTATION. Go do the math, and find him some mins with Will Bynum even getting 5 mpg.

I'm officially on board with The Low now, I'm tired of this smoke and mirrors BS!!!! I love my team, I cheer for my team, but this is some official BS!!!!
  7. discotom

discotom First Round Draft Pick

I might have missed this on the thread, but won't AA end up backing up Tay now? he did at the beginning of the season. he will get minutes. he is too essential on defense not to. I know he hasn't in the past few games...but curry will go back to him.
  8. Pistons Lover

Pistons Lover First Round Draft Pick

Yeah that might happen Discotom. I'm not happy with his decision with Rip, cause Rip will always be my boy, but I'm very happy with him making a decision on who is going to the bench.
  9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

This is a rookie coach who knows very little about coaching, or his team at this point. Do you really trust that Afflalo will get minutes? I will believe it when I see it. I remain hopeful that Curry will get it right, but no way will I make any kind of statement that I have trust in the guy. Just hope, no more. And it will be very fleeting hope if Afflalo does not play tomorrow night.

But anyway, someone said, do the math. First of all, Bynum was announced as the backup point guard back when small ball was announced. (Since both our other point guards, AI and Stuckey, now would be starting - something that has not changed a bit from this latest move.) Since that time, Bynum has been in the rotation, almost exclusively in the first half, in maybe a third of the games. And never more than about 5 minutes. Why would anyone think Curry is going to change that? 5 minutes can be made up by each of 10 players giving up 30 seconds of time. If Bynum plays 10 minutes a game, thats 1 minute per player. Nothing earth shattering. And since so many of our players can play multiple positions, it is certainly not too hard to spread those minutes given up over the whole rotation. I believe the announcement about Bynum was just to say "no change" in the plans to get Bynum involved. But those are just plans so far. If Bynum really does get more time, I will worry about it then.

Now, despite anything anyone says about Rip's minutes going forward, the practical matter is that Rip will get less minutes now. Why? Lets assume things are going pretty darn good in the 1st quarter. You going to mess with that? Probably not. If things go real well in the 1st and 3rd quarter, we may see Rip only get 18 minutes in some games. 12 in the 2nd quarter, and the first 6 minutes of the 4th. In a close game, you go back to what is working, assuming its AI / Stuckey, or its not close, and why play Rip garbage time?

Now, Rip could play more in some games. What if things are not going too well, and the problem is lack of outside shooting because they are killing us with a zone. What if the other team is starting two tall guards, neither of which AI can guard. Could happen. But it could be rare too. A demotion to the bench - for whatever reason, can mean a drastic loss of minutes.

Let me tell you a story. About a man named Jed. Oops. Wrong story. Amir Johnson. When he was demoted earlier in the season, it was said he would still be getting 18 minutes per game. His minutes soon went to DNP. I am sure, since Rip is on the same team, that he knows how the story goes. (Any Twain fans out there.)

Now, lets talk about AI minutes. 12 minutes in the first. As the shooting guard. Rip comes on, at shooting guard, to start the 2nd quarter. Bynum is playing along side him. AI just played 12 minutes so he is resting. Afflalo is playing small forward. Lets say things are going great. Why go to small ball by putting Rip at small forward? After a while, Stuckey is coming back in to play the point. But there is no reason to bring AI back in. We already have a fine shooting guard out there. Leave good enough alone. So, what I am basically saying, if common sense prevails, even though Rip is the one coming off the bench, AI too should lose minutes. Look - they are not starting the game together. They will play less together, and overall, a lot less minutes for the two combined.

And how about Stuckey's minutes? Here is what may very well happen: AI stays over to play point guard to start the 4th, taking what otherwise would be minutes for Bynum. Rip is going to be out there with AI. If things are going well, no reason to bring Stuckey back into the game.

Indeed, if anything, AI will end up playing some point guard minutes in the 2nd quarter instead of Stuckey, sometimes. There will be some competition for point guard minutes. It could well be that Stuckey loses minutes.

In short, all the above should most likely mean no shooting guard minutes for Afflalo, but may not affect his minutes at small forward.

Lets put it another way. After the combined 1st and 3rd quarters - the old method yielded 72 minutes of floor time roughly, combined, for AI, Stuckey, and Rip. The new method yields roughly 48 minutes for the same. There is no reason to assume that this trio of players, in total, will not go down.
  10. roscoe36

If you want to be taken seriously, we will have to vote on whether or not this is nonsense. With over 1,000 members, it could take a long time.
  11. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

it'll be quicker if, while y'all are voting, i just decide

:laugh:
  12. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Settle down. AA will get minutes and more than you think after the deadline...unless he gets traded. He's from the west coast, is he not?
  13. roscoe36

True. Would you like to be anointed King of the forum? A proper monarchy would really speed things up around here. Plus, we already have a bunch of Princesses like Tater, Jammer and the Queen Mum Woody.
  14. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Not convinced about Bynum at point or AA at small forward. We will see. The second unit will need a three ball shooter to spread the floor as Rip will be doing his thing. Someone will have to spot up on the perimeter.

The future is murky. People forget that AI is 33 and Rip is 30. If AI stays and Rip goes after this year the team gets older. This team needs to get YOUNGER projecting out although the real problem is our two aging bigs and the still spotty output of our young bigs. Teams reach the elite level based the the ability of their bigs...Joe will be looking ahead after this season...
  15. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I want to be a duke instead of a princess. Can we vote on that too?
  16. pass99

I don't know if you are having fun...but we all should know there was no team meeting except to discuss who might be traded.

This whole contrived episodic or quixotic meeting event, would only further solidify JDs all ready internalized conception of heads rolling.
  17. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Prof...is that you???
  18. roscoe36

It is rare.
  19. pass99

Hey, don't blame me; I was not named one of the Princesses.
  20. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

with a little more time to think about this. I don't like it.

you benched the wrong guy for the team's sake (bringing Bynum in, taking AA out). but it was already discussed a while back that the Pistons would never bring AI off the bench, and that it's all political.

plus, how cool would it look (as a gesture, real or not) to see AI have complete control off the bench?

bah.