Rip rated the 18th best shooting guard...

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by basketbills, Sep 20, 2005.

1. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

2. iamme

iamme First Round Draft Pick

that's fantasy basketball, remember.

i think Rip's better than more than a few ahead of him, but fantasy-wise, he's not.
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Well,

1. That's a fantasy list.

2. There are a lot of swingmen on there. Rip can swing to the 3, but it's not even remotely a strong position for him.

In fact, if you exclude all of the swingmen on that list from a subsequent SF list, you would have a pretty weak SF fantasy ranking to draft from.

Take it from someone who had Rip in his fantasy pool last year. He's consistent, but definitely not a top 10 producer.
  4. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

looks alirght to me...

Based on last years performance and this years projected performance that list looks pretty accurate to me. How many people in here play fantasy basketball anyway? I would love to get in a league with some of you fellas. I imagine it would be quite competitive. I've never finished less than 3rd in any league I've joined...so I welcome the competition. I am profoundly against playoffs though because I find them to be very lucky in nature.
  5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I've never played fantasy basketball, but I enjoy fantasy football so I was thinking about it. I think Micro is going to have a guy from Dime magazine come in here soon and talk about it.
  6. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

When you start talking Fantasy rankings your value drops or increases depending on what type of scoring is being used. RIP's value decreases due to the share the ball mentality of the Pistons. Also there is an unknown as to what Flips system will do to RIP's production.

I know if I was drafting SG's RIP would be in my top 5 of SG's. He is consistent and has improved every year with the Pistons.
  7. MotownPride

Wow, ahead of:

1. Tracy McGrady
    2. Kobe Bryant
    3. Paul Pierce
    4. Dwyane Wade
    5. Ray Allen
    Brave man.:confused:
  8. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I would say that RIP is at 4 on my list.
    Ray Allen is geting a little long in the tooth and starting to show his age and the injuries along with it. I thought Paul Pierce was more of a SF than a SG.

I would rank my 5 as like this:
    1)Kobe Bryant
    2)Tracy McGrady
    3)Dwanye Wade
    4)RIP Hamilton
    5)Ray Allen
  9. MotownPride

wow.

I think expecting Rip to have a better statistical season than Ray Allen might be reaching a bit. Who else does Seattle have other than Rashard Lewis to share the scoring load? Radmonovic? Allen has been a fantasy studd the past couple of years. If Taye and Sheed's scoring increases it could be at the expense of some of Rip's shots. I don't think I would put any Piston on my fantasy team other than Ben and that's only if I could care less about free throws.
  10. iamme

i know we're all Pistons fans here, but Rip over Ray Allen? come on......

Rip isnt' reliable past 18 feet. Allen is a threat to score once he passes the half court line.
  11. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

motown

i have billups the last 3 years and he has only made my teams that much better him rip tay and dyess were on a team that won one of my leagues
  12. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

That's surprising. They weren't starters were they? It seems like they just wouldn't have the numbers needed to do well in a fantasy league. Kind of like that Pittsbugh quarterback last year (Ben Rothelsberger sp?). Definitely a winner...they won like their last 8 games with him. So in real life he was a winner. But he was on the fantasy waiver wire in our league all year.
  13. MotownPride

If you had that team in my league, you would have got murdered. Rip had a high turnover rate and did not score consistently enough. He also was not a legit 3 category stat player. Billups had a low field goal pct and again was not a 3 category threat as his assists were not that strong. Dyess, I won't even go there. You either played in a really deep league or the rules/points format that you played by were different than what I've ever parcipated in. Pistons players are great to have in real life but they suck as fantasy players. How could they be good when fantasy basketball is based on everything the hard working Piston player is not concerned with...stats?
  14. linwood

linwood All-Star

to he11 with fantasy

In a real team situation, my picks for 2 guard would be:

1. Ray Allen
    2. Paul Pierce
    3. Rip Hamilton
    4. Kobe Bryant
    5. Allen Iverson (if he wasn't playing the point!)

Statistics and fantasy points aside, these are the guys (in order0 that could get the job done and make the team better.
  15. max

max All-Star

Fantasy

Yes but that Fantasy league ratings. Never been in a fantasy league but I do believe they go by total stats. If you notice the high ranked players are pretty much on thin teams or are known to jack up a lot of shots.

In reality anyone would be nuts to rank Catino Mobley or Bonzi Wells, Jamal Crawford, Mike Miller ahead of Rip. Would anyone make that trade?
  16. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

yahoo public

i was in a public league with 13 other people so yea you could say it was pretty deep . Yes rip did almost screw me on turnovers but when he started passing more toward the end of the year he made up for it. billups 3% and regular fg% was enough to help and having tay making 3s didnt hurt either yes my assists were low but hey i won every week with points 3 pointers rebounds fg% and ft% mcdyess realy helped my fg% with him constantly aroud 55% my other pg was starbury so his points and assists were enough to make up for rip not making 3s. its not so much about having the man its about having several guys i dont know we will see how i do this year.
  17. himat

himat Bench Warmer

1. T-MAC
    2. Ray Allen
    3. D. Wade
    4. Kobe Bryant
    5. Rip Hamilton You have to have T-Mac, and Wade in there.
  18. linwood

linwood All-Star

himat

Totally forgot about D Wade, I would have to put him in there. I disagree with you about T-Mac though. He is a very, very talented player, but still doesn't seem to be a team player or "winner". Maybe this season with the Rockets will change my mind, but for now, Tracy is off the list.
  19. iamme

i think "being a winner" is slightly over exaggerated here. Rip's been on winning teams, but if you put Rip in Houston and T-Mac in Detroit, i'm willing to bet that T-Mac would have a ring and Rip wouldn't. Same goes for Kobe. how many rings does he have? i'd say that puts him in the class of "doing what it takes to win" and "making the team better".
  20. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I tend to agree with iamme about the overemphasis on being a winner. Look back to Rip's days in Washington, better yet read this book which gives the behind the scenes story of Rip and MJ and Doug Collins together in Washington.

http://tinyurl.com/8vlsu

Now that was a situation where it was impossible for Rip to succeed in...and I think you might be able to say the same for T-Mac's days in Orlando. No way he could win there.