Rip Ripped? No way...

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by G-man, Jul 25, 2009.

1. G-man

G-man Starter

Since Joe Dumars character has been taking it on the chin in here over the last year I thought I'd stick this article from May 14th, 2009.

It clarifies something that's been talked about in here regarding whether Rip would have signed his extension had he known Billups was being traded. There's a number of folks in here that think Dumars bamboozled Hamilton, got him to sign his deal then traded away his backcourt mate.

Far from it.

Hamilton wanted to be a Piston, even without Billups
    PistonPowered - Dan Feldman - True Hoop - ESPN

"In his Chauney Billups feature, Tom Friend of ESPN wrote:
    He begins packing at the team hotel, when there’s a knock on the door. It’s Hamilton and Prince, the trio together one last time. They embrace, cry, laugh and reminisce. They call Ben Wallace, a Cavalier now, and put him on speaker phone. Wallace tells them, "I told you how they are." Hamilton is the most affected of all. He has just signed an extension, and he tells Chauncey he wants to be traded now, that if he’d known they were going to trade Chauncey, he never would’ve re-upped in Detroit.

Chris McCosky of the Detroit News offers some clarification:
    OK, the truth is, Hamilton hadn’t signed his extension. He’d agreed to it, but the team was on the road. When they got back, Joe Dumars called Hamilton into his office. He held the unsigned contract between his thumbs. He basically told Hamilton, if you are so upset, we can tear this contract up right now. Hamilton signed it.
    These excerpts aren’t necessarily mutually exclusive. In fact, I’d say they’re probably both true. Hamilton likely told Billups he wanted out immediately after the trade. Then once he had more time to think, he decided to sign the extension.

This jives with a column Michael Rosenberg of the Free Press wrote in December. Via Full Court Press (because it’s no longer available on the Free Press’s site):
    And speaking of business: A few weeks ago, Billups said he didn’t think Rip would have signed his three-year contract extension if he had known the trade was coming. Remember, Hamilton signed just days before the deal went down. I asked Hamilton if Billups was right.

"Well, Chaunce … you know what I’m saying, Chaunce …" he said, searching for the right words. "I love the city of Detroit. When I came here from Day 1, this is somewhere that I wanted to retire. When I got the opportunity to play in the playoffs for the first time, got the opportunity to win a championship, I always felt this is where I wanted to be."

PistonPowered » Blog Archive » Hamilton wanted to be a Piston, even without Billups
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Well, it was briefly mentioned somewhere (DetNews?) that Rip had made some bad investments, and was pressing hard to get his contract renewed. His re-signing may have had a lot to do with his first child, his upcoming marriage and his financial situation.
  3. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Dumars gave to Rip a chance to choose so Rip has no reason to be upset or irritated or whatever.

Rip had every reason to be angry because of dysfunctional team but contract was 100% his responsibility( various team issues were not).

OK, I know some forumites surely start speculating how Dumars fooled Rip to "greener plains" but this is not Dumars' style.
  4. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Thanks for putting that baby to bed, G-man!
  5. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    According to everything you hear about Joe, he's a class act. All agents rave about him, players like him and want to come play for his team. I think this trade was difficult on everyone. Chauncey was loved in D-town and this is the only consistent "core" that the players had in their basketball lives. People so get set in their ways that change is often difficult. However, once you have a chance to sleep on it, you make a decision with your head, not your heart.
  6. kcpistonfan

kcpistonfan First Round Draft Pick

If the phone call to Ben Wallace is true, and he stated "I told you how they are." Then he needs to stay away from Detroit and not try to return. This gets me pissed at him all over again.
  7. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Maybe he wants to make amends with the team and the city. You never know what can be said when the emotions run high.
  8. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

But nobody knows what "I told you how they are" means. I think it basically means that "They" (The Palace Sports and Entertainment conglomerate), don't like to pay folks, and the truth is, THEY don't. We are the New England Patriots of the NBA in financial terms, we win, we're contenders, but we're also cheap and would prefer you go and get you BIG payday, elsewhere.
  9. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Folks, do not take it very seriously. Ben's comment was surely told jokingly. Everyone, including Rip, knows in NBA that this is business first and most.
  10. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I really wish he hadn't signed that contract extension. lol
  11. max

max All-Star

I know. But I am sure he is glad he did.

I thought that he had signed after the trade but members back then pointed out that same Billups interview and Rip sure acted like it after the trade. So basically CB was not correct in his assesment of the situation.