1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

RIP, TAY, HOTSHOT and SHEED are they hungry enough to do another run?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by monrams99, Sep 18, 2006.

1. monrams99

monrams99 First Round Draft Pick

I guess loosing BIG BEN is a lost..but having NAZr in a way is not a total lost..We still have tay, rip, Billups, and sheed for me thats not going to be a bad line-up for crunch time.. Remember statistically NAZR is a better scorer compared to Ben..and NAZr is not a bad defender..But then again the intensity that BEN brings to the team is incomparable.

The only question that remains is.. "Is rip, tay, rip, billups, and sheed hungry enough to do another run?" Are they motivated enough to do another run? who will be the source of the energy? I will be a pistons fan for life and i miss the potent DetroitBasketball style..wherein hassle and defense is the main weapon..C'mon stern tell ur refs to stop babysitting this is basketball not ballet!!

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The only problem with Nazr is that statistically he fouls out in 38 minutes. He'll have to do a better job in Detroit of moving his feet and not trying to defend with his hands.

The Pistons will have to play a potent style of defense to be competitive. The more the rules change to favour offense, the more important (any kind of effective) defense becomes.

I question the hunger of these guys. How bad do they want it?

Was winning a title just one of many career goals for them like becoming All-Stars, or do they realize that their immortality is tied to how many trophies they can hoist?

We'll find out who wants to get paid and who wants to play. I hope Joe backs up his tough words and ships out anyone who doesn't have a competitive mentality.

3. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

two rips on the one team! wouldnt that be something??

4. Terry T

Terry T First Round Draft Pick

You have asked the big question. Last years team, post all-star break, did not seem to have the neccesary hunger to make a title run. Chauncey Billups in particular seemed to think that he had established himself as an elite player, and he seemed to be quite satisfied with that. My hope is that they will be motivated by the embarrassing way they crumbled in the playoffs.

5. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You do got to think that the playoff collapse was pretty embarrassing to the players (and coaches). Ben's signing with Chicago - while the players will all say "it's a business", "got to do what's best for your family", etc. - I'd think would have put a thread of anger in them too.

Last year they did come back motivated (remember those stories about Sheed coming into camp in the best shape of his career), but as we've lamented many times, things began to get ugly after the all-star break ending in the collapse. Maybe we'll see not a new level of motivation this year, but a new kind. Not that "we were one quarter" away head-fire, but some good old fashioned belly-fire.

6. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

All eyes on CB this season for me. He witnessed Ben`s payday and I`m sure he wants one too. I am very curious to see how he performs in his contract year.

7. monrams99

monrams99 First Round Draft Pick

Yeah Dlev59 i strongly agree...Billups will be flirting again which is understandable..i know mr hotshot can really step up..but if he takes matter at his hands all the time w/out involving the rest of the gang then thats going to be an issue..i just hope that they can pull things around..and again its all about how bad do they want it...

8. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Roscoe, can you elaborate upon your reasoning here? i think i get what you're saying, but i'm not sure.

9. max

max All-Star

We will see.

Wouldn't you guys think though that somekind of a back deal will be worked out during the season and before the trade deadline?

I know its tampering but there has been a lot of other suspect cases gone unnoticed around the league and if its just between Joe, Billups and his agent?

10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

You know, I wrote close to 200 words (erased most of them) only to conclude that I can't explain it any better although I believe it to be gospel.

You'll have to buy my book when it comes out. ;)

11. FORTHELUVOFSMOOTH

FORTHELUVOFSMOOTH First Round Draft Pick

Unlike you uys I believe that Chaunce will show up. I don't believe he will just play because this is his contract year. I give him more credit than that.

12. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

I don't think he's lazy. I do wonder if he's crossed the line from confident to arrogant, and if that effects his play.

13. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I think he did cross the line, but hopefully he took those steps back to the line after being arguably the worst pg in the nba playoffs in 06.

14. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

Who on the staff will teach Nazr how to defend? Dave Cowens?