Roaring with Discontent

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by roscoe36, Oct 13, 2005.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Full Article

This article is a couple of days old, but this morning they were talking about this on WDFN's "It is what it is" and although I wasn't in a position to call in, thought it might be worth throwing my 2 cents down here.

Roy Williams beaking off in the press is a symptom. It's not the root cause of the problem.

I say that it goes back to Millen and Mooch not being on the same page. When Millen decided to bring back Morningwheg and three weeks later fired him for Mooch, claiming "I got my guy" (without any consideration for minority hiring practices) he set the stage for conflict, because Mooch is indeed "not his guy" IMO.

Never has Mooch come out and endorsed Joey as his QB. And now you see the cancerous effect this has on the squad as the players do not have a pecking order, and have begun to point fingers. It's a locker room in disarray when Williams goes public with comments like this after only 4 games (and in first place in the NFC North).

I read somewhere that Carson Palmer and Chad Johnson drove 4 hours together to watch the Colts in the playoffs to see how Manning and the Colts do what they do. That's commitment. When Joey hooked up with Pollard in the offseason and spent some time developing a relationship, that's a commitment.

I think Roy needs to turn his finger back on himself and ask what extra steps he has taken to develop chemistry and consistency. 3 weeks into the season (bye week) he used that time to go home (Texas) after a bad loss to the Bears. Maybe he should have been in the gym or at Allen Park working on his game.

It's no secret I think Williams is a bust. Maybe a good #2, but totally overrated as a #1 because for all of his God given talent, he is inconsistent and has a questionable work ethic (going back to college).

And Mooch? That guy is a joke. He's a coach who doesn't hold himself accountable (double talk and evasive press conferences), so is it any surprise that his locker room reflects his approach?

The Lions could be decent this year. Only if they figure out how to be a team and get a high standard of effort game in and game out. It's time for GOT MOOCH to get desperate. Anything less than a winning record, and it is time to chase him out of town IMO.

2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

No doubt about it! :nod:

3. congoman

congoman First Round Draft Pick

Williams is not in a position to be ciritical of others. He often loafs on routes. He develops alligator arms when going over the middle. He doesn't run consistantly good routes. He doesn't like contact. He does not appear to be as fast as advertised. He should clean up his own act before shifting blame to others.

4. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Millen just wanted a guy with proven record. He failed to realize that the 9er org. is the success over there. Both Mooch and the coach before him benefitted from Walsh and the upper management.
    Millen totally wrecked the Lions, we know that, so all he can do is start over gathering "his" talent. And he's mostly failed with his picks.
    Shawn Rogers is good but he had a broken foot at draft time. High Risk.
    K. Butler is great for a 6rd.
    Roy W. is a home run threat but we use him wrong.
    The talent has to succeed because the coaching is below average.

5. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Bottom Line

This team will never be any good until the West Coast Offense is canned. None of the players on this offense are fit for the WCO . We have 20 million tied up in WR's that are being paid to run 3 yard routes. It is totally insane.

All we needed was one veteran WR like Kevin Johnson as the #1 and a couple of 3rd or 4th round draft picks to round the group out.

Since when has Roy Williams all of a sudden become the teams spokesman? I could see if this guy was performing like Barry every game but this guy barely shows up and runs like he has nails in his shoes.:frusty:

6. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I don't mind a guy sticking his neck out with constructive criticism. Isn't that what we try dto do here? How about Vanderjack [a kicker] calling out P.Manning last year. He went perfect next year. Strong

7. Darth Tater

It might be different if Williams accepted it when it is directed at him. I think Motown's point was that when Williams messed up he didn't want to hear about it and was mad that his stuff was put out there by K.Jones. Then he has the nerve to turn around and talk about others not doing their jobs? He really has no room to talk.

8. Darth Tater

Correction:

My last post should have stated "Winless Wonder" rather than "Motown"

9. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

damn lions

I've lost a lot of respect for Roy Williams this year.

He has really disappointed me with his lack of all out effort, his finger pointing and lack of taking responsibility.

I hope the Lions can turn it around and get something from all of their offensive "weapons". Their 3 top 10 receivers, their 3rd overall QB, their 1st round RB, their 2 home grown 1st round o lineman (Riaola and Backus) and their $5 million a year coach.

Potential is wonderful. Performance is what wins games.

10. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

What do you mean "take responsibility". This is America someone could sue. Roy knew he messed up so he just pointed the finger at whom everyone else is pointing the finger -----> Joel H. and Mooch. Excellant bob and weave I must say.

11. roscoe36

Yeah, Jammer and I have messed up Canadian sensibilities. Suing for damages here might buy you a coffee and donut at Tim Horton's. :)

12. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Is Canada a sensible country? America is out of control.

13. roscoe36

We like to think so. :D

14. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

15. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Very interesting, clears alot up. Millen wanted Joel. No mention of the Ford wanting Joel. Mooch duped Millen with Tollner. Lovely.