Rodney Stuckey Cornerstone Of The Pistons Future

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, May 19, 2009.

1. RipBillupsRJC

RipBillupsRJC Second Round Draft Pick

2. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Very doubtful about this statement. I want to see more development on his:
    • Basketball IQ
    • Leadership capabilities
    • Pull ups from his drives to the basket
    • 3 pt range
    However, you can't change:
    • His lack of quickness, especially lateral
    • mental toughness
    • Paul Pierce left moves and the resulting jump shot
    • Heavy set and may get slower as he ages
    • Not a great leaper
    • Has much youthful competition at the SG position
    • Needs a very good coach

3. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

LOLLLL.

4. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Had trouble getting WCHB in my neighborhood. Got it clear when I was driving around Ecorse and Henry Ruff Roads though....Good tunes...:)

5. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Seems to me the last one is very easily changeable. :noidea:

I don't really agree about the lack of quickness either. Stuckey has a very explosive 1st step and he is quite fast, finishing with the second best 3/4 court sprint in his draft class (only Brooks was faster). Lateral quickness is a lot more difficult to measure.

Also disagree on mental toughness. That is an aspect that any athlete can improve on. I don't know if you follow tennis, but I'm pretty certain you know who Roger Federer is. Federer always had immense talent and skill, but he didn't start piling up grand slam titles until he became much tougher mentally. He was known as a choker early in his career.

6. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

He's quite predictable at times. I remember several different big men make a beeline to the spot where Stuckey will be as soon as he starts the drive to his right (and successfully block the shot). Towards the end of the season he started mixing it up a little, so there's hope.

He'll be quite a threat if he improves his mid-range and 3pt jumpers. I see him definitely as part of the Pistons' future. If not as a PG, then as the rightful heir to Rip's spot.

7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Stuckey is the best young prospect we've had in recent memory, so I'll force myself to remain optimistic.

And at least he has shown prolonged flashes of brilliance. It faded as the season went on, but we saw him at his best and he looked dangerous. That was only with a limited jumper and a bunch of drives. Like Tony Parker, Rajon Rondo, and others, he may not need to the complete package to get to an all-star type level. He just needs to be great as a couple things.

8. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

I agree with this assessment. Honestly, I don't think we will see his emergence until he believes its his place to be the true court leader. The way things are going around here, that might not be too far away though...

9. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I think a Cornerstone of a franchise almost 90% of the time has to be a big man. Every now and then there is just a great player that comes along and demands attention to the point of becoming a Cornerstone like LeBron or Wade. Time will tell if Stuckey can develop his game and get to that level. So far we have not seen any large improvement from last year only flashes of what could be.

10. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

11. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

TayShawn, I am waiting for some sophisticated statistical analysis from you that conclusively shows whether size (of hands) matters in basketball.

12. RipBillupsRJC

I'll try to dig some stuff up tonight on it.

13. RipBillupsRJC

Players with relatively smallish/average hands: Kenyon Martin, Tyson Chandler, Ben Wallace, Eric Gordon, Kwame Brown, Josh Howard, Elden Campbell, Latrell Sprewell, Charles Barkley, Alex Smith, Eric Dampier, Yao Ming,

Big hands: Zarko Cabarkapas, Rajon Rondo, Jerry West, Michael Jordan, John Stockton, Michael Jordan, Shaquille O'Neal

And sweet mother of God, look at this article:WalterFootball.com: 2009 NFL Draft - Prospects with Small Hand Size

It's football, yes, but the fact that Nate Davis' massive 9.75" mits are considered small by the NFL makes me realize why me and my average mits wouldn't cut it in pro sports. Holy crap. Peyton Manning can probably palm Chauncey's head.