Rodney Stuckey HAS to go!

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by dozero, Oct 5, 2010.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Good points.

I think that we should assign one forum member to specifically defend each player on the Pistons lineup from all unfair attacks. It's really not a bad system. Let me think about it a little more.

2. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

...Still can't QB a team and STILL (I repeat STILL) can't hit a jumper.

This roster DOESN'T HAVE a best player.
    ...and Terrico White is the most consistent player on the team so far.

3. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

No it does have a best player, and his name is Rodney Stuckey. I know you aren't thrilled with him being our best player, but it's the truth.

And yes, I'm also frustrated with his inconsistent playmaking and poor jump shooting. Believe me, I love Rodney, but he still frustrates the heck out of me.

4. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

That's why its my IMO... I can't be wrong that way :P... I could care less about numbers, its about running the team. I feel he's not improving in that OFTEN enough to be a starting PG on a championship quality team... Do I think he's an NBA player heck ya, I'd want him on my team going forward... but its as a combo guard off the bench if he can't knock down his jumper at a better rate.

I think his ceiling isn't what I thought it was 18 months ago.

5. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Rodney is the best hugger on the team....after yesterdays game there were no hugs.

6. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Yes, hugs are his specialty. No one gives out hugs like Rodney.

How do I know this you say?

Well... uh..

7. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Pistons are 3-0 (Charlotte, New Orleans, Boston) this year when Stuckey does not play.

8. copper

copper Bench Warmer

now those are some statistics that dont lie:pound:

9. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I'll take Charlie G, I love that guy!!!

I disagree with this. A guy like Ben Gordon is only as good as the shots he takes. He'll never get those with the new #3 here. Maybe McGrady hit him with a 2 x 4 last night in the 1st Q. This group is a bunch of shooters with no one to get them the shots.

Those teams are mostly cream puffs.

I think Prince has made way more of a difference than Stuckey at winning games. That is subjective, but Stuckey vanishes around the 8-9 minute mark of the 4th (until it is hug-time).

I also think a lot of guys are playing worse because of him. I don't mean that to come off as harsh or that he can't pay at all, but I do think it is true.

10. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

You can trade him to anywhere you desired but you gotta pay him first. A player can only be thrown in to a trade while being paid as humble as he's right now. Assume he'e being overpaid, might be it's good to trade him to NFL, he could be a decent RB. I love this young man in every way.

11. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Stuckey might "vanish" but Prince flat out loses us games in the clutch with his inability to create good looks for himself, but yet he hogs the ball and the shots anyway.

As for the second part, that's a two way street. Do you think Stuckey playing with Hamilton/Prince/Maxiell/Ben most of this year was "playing to his strengths"? No, in fact it was setting him up to fail. Still, Stuckey produced more than anyone else did and by a fair amount.

12. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I would love to hire LB as a player development coach so he can show Stuckey how to be a PG.

Problem is his idol is Dwyane Wade and wants to be just like him. That's fine with me, but we should be playing him as a SG. Miami has always had a distributor alongside Wade (Jason Williams, Carlos Arroyo et al).

Compare Wade's rookie year stats with Stuckey's current stats. The similarity is freaky. But Wade took it to that next level in year 2. Stuckey has not and has been 'stuck' on that level for the past 3 years.

FG% - Wade 46.5 - Stuckey 43.7
    FTA - Wade 5.1 - Stuckey 5.9
    3PM - Wade 0.3 (30%) - Stuckey 0.2 (20%)
    PPG - Wade 16.3 - Stuckey 16.3
    RPG - Wade 4.1 - Stuckey 3.2
    APG - Wade 4.5 - Stuckey 5.3

Stuckey does share some similarities with Wade. Never been known as a 3 pt shooter, or great ball handler or set up guy. But Wade has improved those things, and that's what Stuckey needs to do if we all expect him to become a cornerstone of this franchise.

Wade was called out for his outside shooting earlier in his career. He made a concerted effort to improve his 3 ball. Sure, he still only shoots 30%, but he is making at least 1 per game, and that's enough to keep defenses honest. He upped his assists to between 6.5-7.5 per game. He became a notable defender, recording nice steal and block numbers for a smallish guard. He plays with high intensity. He became a league leader in scoring consistently shooting 49% from the field.

The main thing he improved was the rate he got to the foul line. He is now consistently top 3 in the league in FTA. Wade has learnt how to draw fouls. The way he creates angles and space to ensure he gets contact is a masterclass. Stuckey cannot do this. While he has improved his FTA rate incrementally year on year, he still trucks into people most of the time.

This is something he needs to learn and get better at. I'm sure Stuckey works hard, but maybe its not enough. Maybe he doesn't have the right mentors and coaches. Maybe he doesn't have the ability to learn these things. Maybe his skills are at a peak.

Currently this is what is separating him from the elite in this league and is what is keeping me from endorsing him from receiving a franchise tag.

I'm sure (hope) he knows what he needs to improve, but the rate of his current development is not fast or effective enough.

13. Ernie the Slow Adult

What are Stuckey's strengths? I'm being serious. I'm not sure what kind of players you could surround him with that would allow him to shine.

Getting to the rim is supposed to be his forte, but that is disastrous come the 4th Q. He pushes the ball up court now (after 3 years), but that is for him to score.

I am totally going off the top of my head, but just by thinking of Tay's play at the end of the Knicks game (a loss) I feel like I am coming up with 1 more impact game then I can for Stuckey.

14. Ernie the Slow Adult

I think Wade played PG his rookie year or at least part of it.

There is also a chance that Stuckey's assists would go up if he was moved to the 2. I think we are too often letting the amount of assists he gets dictate if he is learning the position.

It has only been a couple of games, but good Lord what a beat down T-Mac laid on him as a point.

Maybe that shouldn't come as a surprise, T-Mac was, is and probably always will be a better player. That is not a slight towards Rodney, the game is just easier for T-Mac. He is a 1 percenter.

15. webz

Hmm, they had Rafer Alston. And also Lamar Odom who could play with the ball in his hands.

16. Ernie the Slow Adult

Wade is only 6'4 so they weren't sure he could hang as a 2. I'm not saying he did it all year, but I'm fairly certain he played it some.

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That just really made me realize how non-athletic I really am. That dude can fly.

18. webz

You're probably right. I didn't see many Heat games that year... :nerd2: :pound:

But I remember that good series against the Hornets when they were still in the East.

19. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Stuckey's strengths? I'd say, getting to the rim, drawing fouls, free throw shooting and on ball defense are all strengths of his.

I think if you surround Stuckey with good outside shooters, he can be successful. It's not a surprise that Stuckey plays far, far better with Charlie, McGrady, and Gordon on the floor than he does with Hamilton, Prince, Maxiell and Big Ben. In the case of Prince and Hamilton, it's more of them taking control of the ball (and that awful two man game they play) and taking Stuckey out of the plays that hurts him more than their lack of outside shooting.

20. dozero

dozero First Round Draft Pick

you can have the BEST shooters in the world but if your PG can't/won't penetrate and dish, what's the point.

and as far as prince and rip's playing well together and freezing stuckey out: generally it's the two wings players on a fast break and even the SHOOTING GUARD knows what the right play is. it's very rare to see stuckey run a break and look to dish to someone. instead he goes for the "no one can stop the juggernaut" play.