Rodney Stuckey HAS to go!

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by dozero, Oct 5, 2010.

1. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Stuckey drives and dishes when he has shooters on the floor.

Stuckey does look for his shot too much on the break, but hey can you blame him? He's a great scorer in the open floor. At least he hasn't been like Prince, who isn't a great scorer in the open floor (with the ball) and has ran over defensive players instead of dishing the ball off to open teammates.
  2. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Really?
  3. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Maybe it's an exaggeration (like people here don't do that with Stuckey) but one play in that game against the Clippers (in LA) where Prince had the ball on the break, Stuckey and Monroe both running down the floor with him and he decided to take it to the rack himself, running over and knocking the defensive player down in the process (luckily it was called a defensive foul and not a foul on him).
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Tay has been one of our best finishers on the break for years.
  5. Brap

Brap Starter

Yeah, he's great in that regard.
  6. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I co-sign on this one Roscoe.
  7. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Not when he's the one leading the break, though.
  8. Brap

Brap Starter

I agree with that as well. I'm not a Tay fan insofar as the current team goes. I hate him as a primary offensive option - a role he demands at times. I hate it when he tries running the team, a takeover tactic that he sucks at, IMO - he's soooo sloooowwwww in getting any play developing. I hate it when he gets the ball off a clean pass, and then pumps, pumps and then slooowwwssss it wayyyyyyyyyy downnnnnn, wastes the shot clock and usually gets off (or sets up a teammate) a shot at the end of the shotclock that's signficantly worse than the clean shot he passed up. And I hate it that he plays a style of play that is absolutely no good for Stuckey - and that he is blocking our young guys from PT and development time.
  9. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

You have it backwards. A good PG doesn't require the right set of circumstances to be successful. He creates the right set of circumstances for his teammates to be successful.

But, if we all agree that Stuckey isn't a PG, mine is a moot point.
  10. Walter

It seems to me that as time goes by more and more opinions are based more on the endless tug of war between various reiterations of the same assumptions and less on what actually goes on in the games.

Prime example: Rip and Tay aren't shooters.

So far, Prince is our best perimeter shooter (49.2%) and is also our best 3pt shooter (48.1%).

Gordon has slightly better stats than Rip, but Rip's ENTIRE GAME is catch and shoot for Pete's sake.
  11. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Stuckey isn't a point guard, agreed on that, but he is a pretty good player believe it or not.
  12. Walter

I don't dispute that hs is a pretty good player. I like what he brings to the table and I think he can be a great asset for the Pistons going forward. He just isn't the franchise PG that Joe had envisioned. So, it seems like you and I are on the same page.
  13. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I was saying really, as in in you really think there is someone on the Pistons who makes worse decisions then Stuckey when driving the ball?

That's only because Rip and Tay put a hand up when Stuckey is shooting. He'd be the best of it weren't for that.
  14. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

My first question of the day would be...Did they leave him in Motown with a upset stomach??? :)

I would like to see the Tracey-Ben starting backcourt 2nite?
  15. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I don't know. Hard to say when no one else on the team even drives the ball to the basket. I'd say Will Bynum makes worse decisions when driving to the basket than Stuckey does. That dude has been nothing short of a joke this year.
  16. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

:amen::cheerlie-GOAL::p_welldone::amen::amen::amen::amen:
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

But when you go with the combo guard model, then you do need different complementary pieces (which is why it's an unpopular model). For instance, a 2nd combo guard instead of Rip Hamilton might be ideal. That way, there would be someone to share the load at the point and you could keep the defense honest (because their defensive true PG can't then bother our ball handler every time). Since Stuckey's range is limited and he's strong inside, then maybe you load up on shooters a little more that you otherwise would.

Joe has gone half way with this thing. He's committed to a combo guard running the point, but he has the same old cast of characters surrounding him. Rip would be great with any true PG that could get him wide open catch and shoot opps, but he can't dribble and has a hard time getting open with Stuckey.

Also, for a guy like Stuck whose main weapon is the drive, he needs a finishing big man that he can dump off to. What does he have? Ben Wallace could never fill that role and especially not now. Then we have either Charlie V, who is like a roll of wet toilet paper and Maxiell, who is about 5'11".

Jerebko is an OK fit, since he can clean up misses, but he's a tweener as well.

I think that the best lineup that we can currently put out there for Stuck is:

Stuckey
    Gordon (combo guard who can dribble/ stretches the D)
    McGrady (shares play making and has range to stretch the D)
    Monroe (can pass to slashers)
    Wilcox (can finish in the paint)

This isn't the greatest lineup in the World, but it's one that would cater to Stuckey. What this really would be is a great bench unit.
  18. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Which is why you don't build a team around a combo guard who can't shoot.
  19. Brap

Brap Starter

I'd love that lineup if we brought Daye off the bench at SF and SG, and then to start when we trade/lose McGrady.

And, of course, we're looking for a monster to upgrade us at PF.

JJ's going to help a lot when he gets back.

Now - all of this works only if we lose Tay and Rip. With them, the works get gummed up. The toilet is clogged. There's a big traffic jam on the Interstate. Too many people are in the phone booth. (I actually saw a phone booth the other day - they exist). The deer population needs trimming.
  20. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

I'd like to see this lineup.