Rodney Stuckey stays behind as Pistons head West

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Smoooth, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Pistons Lover

Pistons Lover First Round Draft Pick

You know that's why young players in the NBA don't succeed anymore unless they come out and score a [sarcasm]hundred points[/sarcasm]. Rod is in his 2ND SEASON. He didn't get to play that much of his first one due to a hand injury. If we give him up, in about two more years from now we will definitely wanna kick ourselves in asses for that. That would so stupid to trade him. He will be a great guard. He's not undersized especially if he plays the PG most of his life. He's going to be a awesome player and he's going to kick ass. He's not scared of showing what he's got. Granted he has to learn the PG position better to be real successful but that will come in time. How do you think CB, Jay Kidd, Mark Jackson, Joe D, Steve Nash, and Chris Paul got their fame?? Excelling, trust from the organization, and time to develop. You just can't be great overnight.

P.S. Stop watching analysts talk about basketball.....They have no clue what they are talking about sometimes.

2. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yeah! What she said! Darko is awesome, he's the cornerstone of the franchise!!

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I agree that he's not undersized. He's actually oversized like Chauncey for a PG. Isn't he 6'5"? Plus, strong upper body with hops.

But look at his playing time from last year. Despite the games he sat out, he played a ton. Even got a lot of playoff action. Averaged almost 20 minutes per game, which is more than Amir is getting this year in a starting role.

All I'm saying is that he needs to shoot better. They talked about how he's been working on it during the off season, but still doesn't look like the defense respects it yet. We joke alot about Will Blalock's 3-pointer, but Stuckey has only hit 4 in his career. Amir's 3p% is higher than his.

4. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

The way I feel right at this very moment, I think Will Bynum is the best PG on the team right now, yet even he is more of a scoring guard. I was thinking about this last night during the Sac game. Stuckey came in with alot of hype and expectations, the flashes are there, but to say that he's living up to the hype is a lie. On the other hand Will Bynum came in and made his own hype by delivering on the court.

How is it that Bynum gets into the lane quicker than AI & Stuck and he definitely finishes better than Stuck. Now ask me by the end of the season and I very well believe I wil be singing a different tune, but as of today, it would be a supreme injustice to take Will Bynum out of the rotation.

Again I think a shift needs to be made.

5. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I like Stuck.
    He's got up-side fosho.

...I'm just not ready to "annoint" him yet like so many others have done.

6. RipBillupsRJC

RipBillupsRJC Second Round Draft Pick

He's either going to be a huge point guard with a horrid jumper or a stubby, strong 2 with a horrid jumper. His mechanics scare me. Kind of flings it across his right shoulder and shoots with both hands.

7. Mossberg

Mossberg Bench Warmer 3x Fantasy Champion

Wow

I couldn't have said it better myself. I agree 100%

To me, Bynum has been the more effective PG at getting to the hole and breaking down defenses. It seems that his first step acceleration is quicker than AI or Stuck, but he never actually looks quicker than AI or Stuck as weird as that sounds.:D

8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He looks laid back when he's dribbling up the court, but light speed when he drives. Also, he's passing the ball better in the lane.

AI kicks it out when he's up in the air and stopped. Bynum's been seeing big men better... even if it means that Kwame's going to get stuffed on the one-hand dunk attempt.

9. doublead

doublead First Round Draft Pick

since everbody loves bynum so much and thinks hes the best pg on our team then why can't he stay in the league

10. Pistons Lover

Are you serious?? His three point % doesn't count against Rod's. Amir took 3 lucky 3's in that Milwaukee game and made and I think he made 1 against Boston when he scored 20 points on them (that's before KG was there). All 4 of his three balls were shear luck. That jumper may work 12-15 feet away from the basket but those three's were luck.

11. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

People have to remember that Bynum has the element of surprise working for him right now. With Stuckey, even as a rookie, he had some hype, and teams had an idea about his game. With Bynum, no one has a clue right now, so the D is taking an extra second to react. If he continues at this pace, teams will start to shut off that lane, and he will have to show that he has something that resembles a jump shot.

As for Stuckey being bad for team success. It's worth noting that Rodney is 8-0 as a starter in his career (including the playoffs against Orlando).

12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

PL, I really don't want to sound like I'm ragging on this guy. In fact, I'd be perfectly happy if we started him and broke up the duel SG's.

But, I also see a signficant weakness in his game that keeps me from buying into the hype. Stuckey has only made 4 threes in his entire career. That is 1 for every 380 minutes of playing time (not so sure you can call Amir's more lucky since he's shooting 71% on his jump shots this season). Another poor shooting starting PG out there is Rondo and he still shoots about .100 higher on jumpers and also from in the paint.

I mean, between Stuckey and Billups, we're looking at .345 vs. .514 eFG on jump shots. Also, Stuckey got flat out blocked on 17% of his shots in the paint last year. That'll hurt your FG% for sure.

Obviously, this is not something that he's going to fix right away. He's going to need an open lane to operate. Putting him in there with Kwame and Maxiell as the big men is just going to clog the lane and take away Stuckey's only real strength. We need to open the lane for him. I'd like to see him in with either Sheed or Dyess plus Rip.

13. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I've had alot of friends play in the NBA and whether or not you make it is not based solely on talent. Will Bynum came into to college at Az and delivered, he delivered at Georgia Tech, he delivered overseas, he delivered in the D-League, he 's now delivering in Detroit. Will Bynum is doing for us what he has been doing his entire career wherever he's played. Bynum is one of those guys where EVERYBODY knows he can ball, and anybody that's ever played with or against him knows he's had the talent to hoop in the league. Will is one of those players who looks at guys like Jason Hart, Jacque Vaughn, Brevin Knight, Steve Blake, Chris Quinn, etc etc and says to himself, "Cain't none of them scrubs check me!!!" Think of all the And-1 guys who know they have the talent, ie Skip-To-My-Lou, but just need the shot. Seriously, we need to Move Stuckey to the 2 guard spot so Will can get some Mins.

I could see benching Rip for AA, and having a 2nd unit that features Dyess, Rip, Stuckey, & Bynum.

14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Don't forget about Maxiell. That would be a hell of a bench.

One thing though, Rip hasn't officially signed yet, right? Might want to work out a scam with AI where you bench him with the understanding that as soon as Rip signs his contract, it's the old switcharoo.

15. Pistons Lover

TaS, His % is 71 because he really doesn't put alot of shots and the ones he does it probably 3 out of 5 and that gives him a better shot %. I could see if he was putting up shots like Sheed. Rondo been's in the league longer than Rod so he has had time to develop a little more and he's still developing. As I said before, Rod is only in his second season. At least give him some time to get going like he needs to be.

And I'm glad you think he should start. :thumb:

16. doublead

doublead First Round Draft Pick

You nailed it on the head