rodney stuckey

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by doublead, Aug 26, 2007.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

2. doublead

doublead First Round Draft Pick

hes not injury prone that %%%% happens to everyone
  3. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I sure hope you're right.
  4. doublead

tonights game vs mavs

10 points
    1 asists
    1 rebound
    3 steals
  5. mikhail1973

Not a great game, but a decent game by Stuckey. He's still learning when to drive and when not to go inside. He rimmed out a couple of layups, or his stat line would've looked even better.
  6. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

He was a couple tough luck misses away from a very solid game. And personally, I think he should always be in attack mode. We've got enough guys floating on the perimeter. He had maybe 1 shot tonight in the paint that was a low percentage shot, but those are good odds. Sometimes the defender is going to get there. This happens to the best slashers in the league. You gotta keep attacking though because more often than not he's going to make something happen. And sooner or later, he's going to start hitting even more inside.
  7. fwoompf

fwoompf First Round Draft Pick

Maybe it was just the angle of the camera, but I thought his dunk looked awesome, too.
  8. doublead

i also thought he got fouled on a couple of the shots
  9. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i don't mind stuckey missing a couple close layups...the fact that he's getting into the paint and in a position to make layups in the 1st place is encouraging. his drive and dunk...he got into the lane so fast and unexpectedly that not one defender even bothered coming over to try and challenge the shot, and even devin harris was cut looking. he continues to play solid defense as well.
  10. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

I honestly beleive that when Flip looks at his bench; he does not see any NBA talent. He sees a bunch of bodys that can "fill in" for a minute or two for the starters but bring nothing to the table that can benefit him or the team by leaving them out there or experimenting with them.

I don't think he sees Stuckey's ability to get to the bucket. He sees his inability to get a foul called because of his inexperience.

He does not see AA's defensive tenacity and disruption of the opponents game. He sees his lack of offensive contributions.

He does not see the altering of shots and intimidation Max brings to the game. Along with his ability to get the opposition in foul trouble. He sees his lack of height and free throw woes.

He does not see that AJ can rebound and speed up the game to get easy baskets for the team. He sees that; Oh yeah; he forgot AJ was on the team.

Flip is not looking at the bench as peices of the engine that are necessary. He looks at them more like oil; the machine will run without it. Maybe it just isn't running as efficient as it could if he added more oil.
  11. mikhail1973

Sounds good. We don't know what Flip is thinking. Wait a minute, can he even think? Seems like he's head over heels with that famous playbook of his and no matter what happens on the court or what the needs are he can only go by the book. Also, looks like that book is only written for starters. Subs do not apply.
  12. mikhail1973

Pistons' Stuckey is over his injury

So, I wouldn't attribute the dropoff in his production to the injury. I say more people are paying attention, and also his production dropped off against better defensive teams like Boston and San Antonio. Teams are starting to pack the middle when he's in trying to stop him from driving. It will take time for him to learn, but he'll keep getting better with all the playing time he gets.
  13. buddahfan

In my opinion Gerstner's Piston's articles are worthless. From the content of the article it is clear that it was written before he re-injured his hand and even before he tweaked his ankle.

':hoops:
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I agree, the defenses have been ready for him. If he is going to have a Wade type game, then he needs to establish that FT line to college three distance jumper.

We really need Stuckey to play well against the top 5 teams in the league, and they will all be able to take away his drives until he punishes them from mid-range.
  15. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

Afflalo was in the game for that crucial possession at the end of the Bobcat game when Sheed blocked a shot with about a second left and the score tied. Afflalo got the rebound - and chucked a full court shot instead of calling a timeout.

I was a bit surprised that he was in the game - but it demonstrated Flip's recognition of Afflalo's maturity and defensive game.
  16. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

I saw that too. I also saw Flip corner him after the game to let him know what he should have done.

Just wish Flip would play to the bench's strengths instead of using them as filler. If the team isn't moving; bring in Stuck to run. If we can't get a rebound; bring in AJ for some tip back dunks. If we are jacking up too many jumpers; bring in Max and pound the ball to him. If they are cutting through us like swiss cheese; bring in AA to body up. Use them for what they are good at and expand their games from there.
  17. mikhail1973

But that's not in the playbook.
  18. buddahfan

Calling timeouts in that type of situation is highly questionable to say the least.

If the team is in a good flow then forget the timeout.

If the team has struggled in the last half a dozen or so possessions to score then calling a timeout may be the good choice.

Most coaches over use the time out at the end of close game, probably because they don't trust their players.

:hoops:
  19. mikhail1973

In that situation, there was about 1 second left. So, by taking time out and taking ball at the half-court there was a chance for a play. Otherwise, it would've been a full-cour heave since all players were under Pistons basket.
  20. buddahfan

Good point.

Calling a timeout to advance the ball to mid-court is a desperate play when as in this situation you don't have enough time to advance the ball and score. Otherwise it is questionable.

:hoops: