rodney stuckey

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by doublead, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

He did force one or two of those shots, but he got other guys involved and generally did a nice job. I definitely don't think it was as bad as Flip Jr. in those garbage time games (to be fair to Jr., he didn't over-chuck it too badly this season back when he was getting "real" minutes). And actually most of Stuckey's minutes in the 4th quarter last night were more or less "real": Lil' Lawrence Frank didn't take his Big 3 out for good until only about 2 minutes were left.

2. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I just emailed Need4Sheed and asked them if they knew if Sheed has come up with a nickname for Stuckey.

If he has I will use whatever nickname Sheed has chosen.

:hoops:

3. doublead

doublead First Round Draft Pick

stuckey did look good last night he forced one jumper the rest was good shots just didn't fall. he is already better then murray in his first few games but to give murray credit i rather see him play then hunter

4. doublead

tonight's game vs pacers

18 minutes
    10 points
    3 assists
    3 rebounds
    3 steals
    3 to's

5. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I'm impressed with his ability to get the rim (and somehow always get his own miss), but his PG skills are unimpressive so far. It's only the 2nd (or 3rd) game so we'll see.

6. buddahfan

Don't expect a lot from him regarding his point guard skills for maybe 2 years or more.

He wasn't a point guard at EW.
    Also, it is the hardest position to learn in the NBA, especially for a combo guard who is trying to play the point.
    Hunter never really mastered it his whole career.

7. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

All I got to say is, Deron Williams was aSG at Illinois and he's working out ok. Give him time. He'll get it together.

8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He's making things happen. The to's were typical rookie pg mistakes. He'll iron it out.

9. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

OK, so we got our first taste of "real" minutes for Stuckey in a game that was close all the way tonight in Indy. 9 points on 3-8 from the floor, 2 assists to 1 turnover, 3 boards and 1 steal in 17 minutes. His biggest impact was when he came in for Rip near the end of the third quarter and immediately sparked a run by driving to the hole, hitting a couple of Js, and getting to the line on the last play of the quarter. A game that had been within 1 or 2 points for a long time pushed out to a 6 point Piston lead at the end of the quarter thanks to his scoring.

Naturally he's still making some rookie mistakes; two drives straight into O'Neal's face resulted in two unsurprising rejections. Also one bad turnover and a couple of mistakes on D. But he also took a charge in transition and made some other things happen on D as well. The common trend with most of his mistakes seems to be that he's too aggressive, which is precisely what I always want from rookies. Much better to try too hard and gradually learn how to dial it back then to have to pick up the intensity or aggressiveness.

I think we're already seeing a great impact from him. He gets to the hole super-quick whenever he sees an opportunity, which is exactly what we need from the first guard off the bench. When he's out there with CB, you have two guards who both have MAD handles, which is nice because the drop in shooting touch with Rip out is partly made up for by the increased ball-handling ability. The next thing I hope to see from him is a good rhythm with Rip, since most of Stuckey's minutes look to be at the point with Rip at the 2.

We've got ourselves a winner, folks! All hail Joe! :hail:

10. fwoompf

fwoompf First Round Draft Pick

I don't know if there's a stat that tracks "effective assists" but there were maybe 3 times where he passed to a man who was fouled and went to the line. Or do assists count those anyway?

Anyway that was a fun one to watch, I love seeing him out there. :)

11. buddahfan

Sorry but Rick Mahorn disagrees with you on this.

He says that it is great that Stuckey is being aggressive and he should definitely stay as aggressive as he is and that the officials will adjust to his game. He said that on last night broadcast.

12. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

That's not too far from what I'm saying. If the refs meet him halfway, great. Figuring out how far he can get with them will be part of the process of ironing out the mistakes. He's a smart player, and I don't think it'll take him long to figure out how far he can push it in most situations.

13. buddahfan

Makes sense to me.

14. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

No, I don't think that gets recorded as an assist. I'm not enough of a stat-head to know about the latest thinking on this, but it seems like there are a lot of things about being a good or effective passer (e.g. getting the ball to someone who can drive the lane, or feeding the post properly) that are hard to track statistically.

15. doublead

tonights game vs pacers
    17 minutes
    9 points
    3 rebounds
    2 assists
    1 steal
    1 to

16. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Yeah, and its not just the pass itself. Its the guy moving with the ball to mess up their defense. Sometimes the guy with the assist credit simply passed the ball to someone. The real hero is the guy who drove in, drew defenders, and kicked out. The hero gets no assist when there is a 2nd pass to an even more open, more set shooter.

What to do about it? One, anytime the post is fed, even if the post player makes a move from there, it should be an assist. If a guy gets to the line as a result of a pass, it should be one half an assist per free throw made. It would be a start. Everyone just let everyone else know that is what you want. Who knows, someone might listen.

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

In my opinion, they should give .5 assists to the passer for every free throw the scoring player makes on plays like that (not to exceed 1.0 assists per play in the event of a 3-point, or and 1).

18. buddahfan

I have often wondered why they don't do that. It makes perfect sense to me.

Of course if you pass the ball where someone catches it resulting in an immediate charge because the receiver of the ball had no time and room to avoid the charge, then maybe the passer should be charged with the turnover.

19. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

only problem is with it is.... it wouldn't show a true stat still because if your team has horible ft shooters you look worse then if your team has good ft shooters.

its a flawed system we all agree, but no system will ever be perfect.... the only true stat that matters at the end of the day.... 23-7.

20. buddahfan

MLive.com: Everything Michigan