Rodney

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by G-man, Mar 25, 2011.

1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Hopefully only 10 more games for this madman, who should be the first coach canned at the end of the season to get the search started early, new owner or not...
  2. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

I'd vote for AA because of defense, and his growing potential...
    Also liked his insight on why the Nuggets are playing better...
  3. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

If we were in a position to put this plan into place next year ...100%....I would be one happy person.

It would mean that many of this years conundrums were disposed of.
    Stuckey at the 2 full time.......

I'm going to rest now, and hopefully dream of this day.
  4. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Pretty had to compare Spellcheck and Collider.
    Up until recently, I think that Stuck has done more because he's had more chances to do more. His numbers SHOULD look much better than Afflalo's. Rodney has been handed the keys to the team that he plays for and as a PG, he has a lot more opportunities to fill up a stat sheet if he wants to.

On the other hand...

Until recently (very recently) Afflalo has quietly worked his way up from the ranks of being a "bench roll player" to being a "starting roll player" to now being an important part of his team. With Melo and Chauncey out of the way, AA is now being asked to do more and he's delivering.

Afflalo played 3rd fiddle in Detroit and 2nd fiddle in Denver. He shut his mouth, played excellent defense, often against the oppositions toughest cover and held his own quite nicely. He's improved his offense every year and I predict that he'll make an even bigger jump in progression next season with a whole year under his belt of not having to watch Melo chuck 20 shots per game.

Some things that Spellcheck does that don't show up in a box score that absolutely CAN'T be overlooked when comparing him to Rodney for this discussion are:
    - He's his teams best defender and can lock down the opposition's best player.
    - He has a VERY high B-Ball IQ and makes VERY few mistakes.
    - He's a great teammate, solid citizen and always plays "the right way".

In my opinion, Aaron Afflalo is more valuable and a harder to find commodity in the NBA than Rodney Stuckey.
  5. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Afflalo doesn't make many mistakes, in large part, because he's not been put in a position to make a lot of mistakes. I'm not trying to downgrade how he's played with Denver, but if he was one of the main options on his team, like Stuckey is on this team, he wouldn't be anywhere near as efficient shooting the ball.
  6. pass99

pass99 Team Captain Forum Donor

Sometimes one get those fair shakes and you ride it out. I do think that JD will sign him and he will play the point and some time at the 2 position. This all depends on the development of White and perhaps another pickup at point. If the Pistons decide to try the first pick at the guard position, then they might as well try out the ultra smooth Alec Burks, who is much better at the 2 position than Stuckey. Regarding the latter, I had hoped to see some different options displayed with quick stops from his drives and the resulting pop. He is showing more of this kind of diversity over the last few games, but his shot is still too flat. If he gets his contract from JD, I would like to see him hire someone to work on his flat shot. From the point position, he must have it. Think the reverse of CB, who had that beautiful high archer, but felt uncomfortable driving to the basket. The book on Stuckey is give him (defensively) an extra 2-3 foot deferential, be prepared to shove him left and do not worry about a quick pop.

Of course this is obviously all a moot point. The Pistons will not be drafting a guard in the first round. Knock, knock...please come in Mr. Vesley. And your friend is...ah yes, Mr. Motiejunas.
  7. Maverick

Maverick First Round Draft Pick

I don't know if its because ive been drinking or not, but that whole post made sense to me..
  8. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Pistons to offer Rodney a multi-year deal

Pistons re-signing Stuckey long-term? - Scoop Du Jour - NBA Blog - Yahoo! Sports

Here's the article on MLive:
    http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.ssf/2011/05/pistons_challenge_getting_rodn.html

It's stuff like this that drives me crazy. Stuckey just needs to shut up and play. The more we treat him like he's Kobe, the more his ego will bloat, leaving Stuckey the player completely in the shadows.
  9. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Re: Pistons to offer Rodney a multi-year deal

C'mon Walt, you may dislike Stuckey but you have to admit this guy is one of the top 200 players in the L. You've got to make these guys comfortable.

Kobe Bryant also doesn't have a size advantage over nearly everyone he plays against and he dribbles with his head up.
  10. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

As I'm watching the playoffs I'm having a hard time thinking of a team that would throw big money at Rodney next year.
  11. Nemo

anything more than 9 million over 3 years is too much...
  12. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

The problem with that, Nemo, is you don't want Rodney to feel unappreciated.
  13. Nemo

and that is different than his current mindset because......I didn't think so.

I just don't see him getting any more on the open market.

Maybe it's just best for the team if we say good-bye...
  14. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm thinking of a team that wears red, white, and blue, and an anagram for its name is St. Periodontist.
  15. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Also don't forget that Kobe is really injury-prone and is always hurt during playoffs.
  16. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I'm not worried about losing Rodney to a team that wants to pay him more than 3 mil per year.
  17. Ernie the Slow Adult

Tune into the Draft Lottery and you'll see the teams that want to offer Franchise big $$.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dumars was wearing a Stuckey jersey during the selection.
  18. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Normally new owners show up for the lottery. so hopefully we get mr head tilt showing up and when we get the number 2 pick, he pulls out the checkbook and buys the number 1 pick.... then says sorry stuckey.... 2 million a year is all were willing to pay. Take it or leave it....

Ok a guy can dream can't he :P.
  19. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Amazing. Integral to hire a coach that fits Rodney Stuckey?!? That's when you know a team is in deep trouble. I'd certainly consider to pony up something like $5M a year for Turkey Collider but building the coaching staff around him is a pretty ridiculous statement.
  20. Ernie the Slow Adult

If this really is the plan then Mr. Popcorn should come downstairs and coach the team.