Rodney

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by G-man, Mar 25, 2011.

1. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

Exactly. Besides the obvious locker-room and "diva" issues, when just comparing him to other starting PGs in the league he just doens't add up. Here is an unofficial blog about PG rankings:

NBA Power Rankings: 2010-2011Starting Point Guards, Who Is Number One? | Bleacher Report

Does he have value? Sure, but I hope that Joe D doesn't sign him for a huge amount to justify his age and draft position. Looking at the guys he is around, I figure a shorter contract is in order (3 years?) -at around the MLE.

2. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

That is the reason behind all the frustration and negativity surrounding Stuckey.

3. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Actually, he's now entering his 5th season. That rating was done at the beginning of last year...

4. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Names like Barea and Dragic are available for likely what would be less money than the Collider will want.

Does a guy like Kemba Walker have a higher ceiling than Rodney Stuckey?

5. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Everything with Ernie is extreme hyperbole. I thought we all knew this? I mean, look at the following post. Now, "Stuckey carries himself like MJ, never worked on his game (seems like a really facetious claim to make unless you actually KNOW him personally), is the same player today he was when he came into the league (false)", etc.

6. Walter

Hold on there Batman. This is Stuckey's progress since he's been in the league:

[​IMG]

Other than the ppg, everything is just pretty much a flat line. And really, if you discount his first year (during which Billups was still here and he was averaging far fewer minutes), he was able to bump his scoring average from 14ppg to 16ppg in 3 years. A whopping 2ppg.

I think that there is an illusion of progress because the team around him has sucked more every year than the year before for the past 3 years. He looks like he's rising, but in reality he's just staying put while everybody else is sinking into oblivion.

So, I don't know which is worse; that he's been working on his game all this time with no noticeable improvement, or that he just has not been doing anything.

I do like Stuckey as a player, but I gave up on the hope of him improving his game. Either he's working with all the wrong trainers, or he was about 98% of the way to his ceiling when he entered the league.

7. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I hardly evaluate player's performance with just the standard stats, as those are dependent on a lot of things. I look at the advanced metrics stats.... which all improved significantly this year for Stuckey.

And yes, I do think it's facetious to claim that Stuckey hasn't even put the work in. You can say you don't think he's improved and the work hasn't paid off, but saying that he hasn't worked on his game at all implies that he is lazy and hasn't tried to improve... and I don't see how there's anyway you can say that without knowing him.

8. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I would say Rodney's Diva attitude is the reason we might assume he is not the hardest worker in the off season. He did lose weight apparently during the past summer but the results didn't show on the court.

Please post the "advanced metric stats" for all to see and maybe that will prove Rodney does indeed work hard and has improved over the long years he has been here.

I will admit his hugs per game stats have risen steadily as the Pistons team success has sunk steadily.

9. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I would also like to see the advanced metric stats, along with any offers he's recieved for his services over the last few weeks...Just wondering how the bidding for his services is going...

10. BallDon'tLie

Four separate incidents of insubordination where Rodney had run-ins with his Head Coach; is that an advanced metric?

11. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

It is if you count it per 100 possessions. Otherwise the stat is biased towards uptempo teams.

12. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree. Perhaps you need a stat like Insubordinations With Head Coach Per 48 Minutes (IWHCP48M).

13. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

That's not fair, take it back! Everyone knows that Rip, Tay and Sheed made him do that.

14. Walter

The so called "advanced metrics stats" can make any player look good. If you don't put stock in standard stats, you should run away from the "advanced" stats.

I was giving Stuckey the benefit of the doubt. If he's actually working really hard to improve his play, but with virtually no results, then that proves my point that he has already reached his potential. Either that or he is insane, as in doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results.

15. G-man

G-man Starter

or headless coach..

16. BallDon'tLie

I'd feel a lot better if it came out in the paper that Rodney has been spending his off-seasons smoking weed, playing Xbox and watching re-runs of BJ & The Bear.

At least then we'd have hope that he could come back after [STRIKE]the lock-out[/STRIKE] this Summer with a little range on his jumper.

17. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

When did they take BJ & The Bear off the air?

18. linwood

linwood All-Star

I've always thought of Mike Abdenour as the Sheriff Lobo of the Pistons.

19. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Okay...

Win shares

2011: 5.0
    Career: 3.4

Offensive Rating

2011: 112
    Career: 105

Player Efficiency Rating

2011: 18.5
    Career: 15.8

True Shooting %

2011: .544
    Career: .505

Assist Percentage

2011: .275
    Career: .258

Better numbers across the board.

20. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

You have to look at them within the context of other data and you cannot really fairly compare per minute averages of a starting player, with a guy that comes off the bench and plays the majority of his minutes against the other team's bench players.

But then again, I think it's incredibly simplistic to just look at the regular numbers, when Stuckey's role and minutes both changed this year (playing 3 less minutes per game) from last year. Stuckey averaged more than a full point more per game last year than he did this year, but Stuckey was a significantly better player this year, as he was far more efficient shooting the basketball, got the line a lot more, finished better at the rim and was a better passer.