Role in first Memphis game upsets Iverson

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Mossberg, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Mossberg

Mossberg Bench Warmer 3x Fantasy Champion

1 game in, and he is already %%%%%ing about playing time and coming off the bench. Good luck Memphis! :stirthepot::pound:

Role in first Memphis game upsets Iverson | freep.com | Detroit Free Press

2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

There is no "I" in Iverson.....I mean there is no "ME" in Team.....never mind....

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

You know what else there is in Allen Iverson?
    A Snivel Loner

4. illadelph dynamite

illadelph dynamite First Round Draft Pick

Its one game, you've been injured, i'd have said speak with your play, then open your mouth.

Can't see him as a sixth man for Memphis but that not the point.

5. Mossberg

Didn't he JUST say that he was going to be OK with a dimished role off of the bench?....................and now this. :pound:

6. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Poor guy. I'll betcha by the end of the week his back hurts too.

What an A-Hole. (Sorry Aurora...no offense).

7. illadelph dynamite

TBF, no he didn't.

8. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

Yes, he did. From Zach Harper's ESPN.com article:

"When A.I. signed with Memphis, it brought about confusion amongst all fans. He was resigning to the things he said he would never do. He would be a role player coming off the bench for a team whose playoff hopes were already grounded before the season started. Five years ago, if you told me this was how his twilight years would go, I would have fought you. Now, it's just a fact of life and NBA economy."

Daily Dime: CP3 is frustrated - NBA - ESPN

9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

AI did have a pretty sweet rep for a long while. It has to be tough to adjust your mindset just because some coaches tell you that you aren't the same stud. He always played a certain way and still feels like he can do it. I totally understand his frustration... but the bottom line is that the market is speaking to him and he's not listening.

10. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Maybe they should call in coach Curry to give him a pep talk about his role? Iverson always seemed to respect him.

11. Mossberg

AI is like that old guy in the 20 something night club that's in denial that he is actually old and feels he can still hang with the youngsters. :D

12. illadelph dynamite

Give me quotes, not what people assumed. In his press conference when he signed and all the rest of the time, before and after he signed, he has said he wouldn't be happy playing off the bench.

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He knows he can still score on a nightly basis... if only the bouncer would let him in the club. He can do his old moves, which work about 40% of the time. If he hits on 15-20 women a night...

14. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Now you guys this is a guy who has fought with every single coach he ever had over playing time. This guy has argued and whined over playing time when his minutes were reduced from say 48 to say 44. This guy wants to be on the floor for every single possession of every single game. Not saying it's right or it's in the best interest of his team, but he thinks that it's in the team's best interest to have him out there all the time.Maybe it's from all those years in Philly where it really was the best option to have him play every minute every game all year.

But I can't think anyone is surprised that he wants more playing time. AI wanting more playing time? Does the sun come up in the morning? He also wants to play for six more years. How realistic is that? Does the sun come up in the morning? Look for better or worse this is who the guy is. He is who he says he is until his agent makes him say a bunch of junk that he isn't who he says he is. Everyone knows who he is, Memphis knew who they got and everyone should stop acting all shocked and surprised like a 15 year old schoolgirl on a first date with a guy getting too fresh.

Geez Louise, some of you guys really need to find a new punching bag. Or as Michael said so beautifully...for the ones who seem to have so much fun piling on with the vitriole "Take a look at the man in the mirror and make that change." Allen Iverson talking to the press about playing time is SO NOT NEW NEWS. I should have written that news flash before I went to bed last night after my review of the game. :rolleyes: As I was watching I was wondering "I wonder how long it will take Allen to do battle with Lionel Hollins to up his minutes?" Not long. Not saying it's right, and it's possibly rough, but let's not all act like deflowered virgins here.

Every once in a while your thin veil of carefully cultivated objectivity about Allen Iverson falls away and we get a little gem like this one TaShawn. Nice.

You don't have to apologize to me Darth. Just cause I'm the only "out" AI fan on this forum doesn't mean I'm not tough enough to take it or I'm his pr agent or his lawyer. Besides I know you don't really care anyway and you just take shots for the fun of it.

This kind of is true I think, Moss. I think the NBA lifespan is equal to dog years. 7-15 depending on position, injury, minutes played etc. Allen Iverson has alot of miles on him, a ton of injuries he has played through majestically. Watching one's favorites in decline is painful. I'm so thrilled with watching Big Ben so far this season because I see that glimmer of Big Ben in his prime, I see the magic again of his incredible career. When I go see AI now I am looking for those glimmers, those moments, and I don't expect to see the whole package anymore and that makes me feel sad. But it's still way worth it to me. Basketball is such a beautiful game and the prime of these athletes is so fleeting. The thing is to be able to appreciate them when they are in their primes, and not pile on them like a lot of vultures when they are on the downside of their careers but still playing. Some pretty ugly stuff has been written about Big Ben in this forum the past several years, of course now it's all golden again. Of course if he becomes less than immortal again.......

15. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Grizzlies, Iverson off to rocky start - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

... and so it begins.

16. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Wait a minute I use to resemble that comment..:)..and now sometimes I feel that way jabbing with you young whipper snappers...

17. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Dre, you're not old. You're gold. :)

18. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

I guess It's hard for a coach to tell Mayo to sit after a 40 point game @Denver.

I Mean, the Nuggets doesn't have one of the best defense in the game, but they were In the Western Conference Finals last year with barely the same team.

And A.I. is always problematic.. I remember how pissed was I when I first read the Billups <-> Iverson trade..

So now I'm sooooo happy that he is not here anymore.. and I'm even more happy that A.I. is doing bad in his new team..

:D

19. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

I don't hink he's as a cancer as much at he is delusional.

Ask Oscar De La Hoya. He aged horribly between Mayweather and the Pacquiao fights. There are only a few freaks of nature (Brett Favre, etc.) and Allen hasn't been as fortunate when it comes to wear and tear. And I think Allen is more of a relic, if anything; a throwback to the turn of the century. He refuses to see past that. I'd like to see him go up against Brandon Roy, or hell, even Brandon Jennings. He's older than he thinks.

He just got off a freaking injury. Maybe they were actually trying to ease him into playing shape...

20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Why would the coach put a guy in the game who's having a butt problem?

It's just an anagram. Of the 10,000 possibilities, this was the most flattering one I could find.

Other combos included...
    Niner Overalls
    Evil Renal Son
    Veal Inn Loser

Just a bunch of gibberish.