Role in first Memphis game upsets Iverson

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Mossberg, Nov 3, 2009.

1. illadelph dynamite

illadelph dynamite First Round Draft Pick

lol, COLD!

2. illadelph dynamite

Yeah, wasn't saying it was you, meant the article quoted out of context. He believes they are TRYING to win games and would be better served doing that with him starting. Don't agree with the way he's gone about it, but don't think he's wrong.

Don't see how AI makes Memphis worse. Excluding last year, Denver won quite a few games with AI.

3. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

I don't think there is any great mystery in all of this. Allen wants as much playing time as he can get, 48 minutes if possible, as he always has wanted. He wants to win, as he always has wanted. He wants to be a starter as he always has wanted. No one at Memphis can be surprised about this, none of us should be surprised about this. Anyone may disagree with his methods of trying to accomplish his goals: playing hard when he is on the court, lobbying hard for himself with his coach, the press and probably his teammates as well when he is off the court. What will it all add up to? Stay tuned.

It's clear that his ambition had an effect on his free agency desirability and that any contender would not pick him up as a sixth man, as he refuses to be one. As ever, Iverson insists on calling his own plays about his career and we clearly see he is not operating from a position of power anymore and probably never has been. Let this be a lesson to all NBA players. Don't get old, don't be brash, don't be like A.I. Know your place, be a good "team(read: organization/owner owned)" player, go gently into that good night.

GO A.I.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I love me a rebel, even if he's dyfunctional as hell!

P.S. What kills me is how shocked, shocked some of you guys are about all this!
    Outraged. Besides yourselves. Pitying. Contemptful. Geez. A.I. has way more than two Achilles heels, such an easy target for all y'all. Give it a rest. He's not even a Piston and he didn't even ruin our horrifyingly rotten team last year ANYWAY. My Lord. Can't you just leave the guy alone to "drown his career" as Roscoe so succinctly put it? Of course not.

Anyway in the interest of my emotional health I'm not reading or posting to this thread anymore so no one has to bother to say "Sorry Aurora" before they say cute and mean things about AI anymore (which was kind of sweet and considerate actually). I had to leave off posting all summer over the AI posting vitriole and I don't want it to happen again. I just love the forum and I really like you guys but AI is my guy and I can't seem to leave him undefended and let the cute cheap shots just slide by. So just post away, I just won't read this particular thread and it won't escalate into...well...you all know how it could...right?:)

I just want to say I hope he gets his starting spot. I hope if he doesn't get his starting spot that he retires. I don't want to see him on these lousy teams benches. And someday I want people to acknowledge what a remarkably different and exciting and compelling player he was and still is to watch.

You're not going to see another Allen Iverson.

Buzz.....Game over.

4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It's sort of like the same reason employers are hesitant to hire overqualified job applicants. They know that a person capable of doing bigger and better things won't be happy in a limited role.

But AI's only come off the bench for a few games. If he keeps playing well and Memphis isn't experiencing the success that they are hoping for, then maybe they will shake up their formula like the Pistons tried to do last year.

Ben Wallace wasn't the favorite to be a starter when he came back this season, but he showed the coaches that he was their best option. That is the best way to get coaches to do what you want. If you confront them, then they feel the need to assert their authority to set an example. If they back down, then it's like letting someone mess up your desk and not saying anything.

5. illadelph dynamite

...but you can't get the roles doing bigger and better things because there are no vacancies :frusty:

6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Right. So you take what you can get, like AI did. But on your first day of work, you show them how good you are instead of tell them.

7. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't think anyone is particularly shocked or outraged by this. In fact, most people could probably care less. But it is newsworthy, and people obviously want to discuss it.

I have no problem chiding the man for his behaviour towards his teammates and organisation if I believe his actions are out of line. And I'm not going to stop chiding him because it hurts some of his loyal fans. I am a Piston fan, not a 'player X' fan. That's just the way it is.

If some comments in this thread don't sit well with you, thats fine. Ignore the thread, ignore me. I will understand. As long as nobody is personally attacking a poster it's all in the good.

8. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I don't have many "favorite players" or guys that I'd take a bullet for when they're called-out.

I like Sheed and I've read a lot of negative comments and cynicism about the dude since '05. While I like Sheed, I also realize that he does and says a whole lot of boneheaded things that rub people the wrong way. I think it's kinda funny (in a tragic way).

Same deal goes for Iverson. I guess that if I was a fan of his (which I'm not really), I'd have to accept the fact that he does and says some pretty stupid stuff and I wouldn't blame people for having strong opinions about him. He was (is) a great scorer and one of the guttiest little men that the game has ever seen.

...But lately, yo HAVE to admit that he's kinda acting like a jackass.

Following the NBA becomes a lot easier when you root for the jerseys rather than the guys wearing them.

...oh, and sorry Aurora :)

9. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

It is turning into a sad spectacle now. Wow. He sounds so delusional. He could not have thought that the Grizzles were a contender. Very sad for his career to have taken this turn.

10. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

-
    Anybody know how much I is making?
    -
    Could this Hollins cat be as stupid as Curry?
    Like putting I in is a big science.
    I have to see if this group of 25 game winners from last year can beat out I.
    Geez play the meal ticket.

11. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

We need a new survey question..."Was Memphis rebuilding this season?"

we can let AI and his team vote...

:stooges: :stooges: :loser: :loser: :eyebrows: :eyebrows:

12. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Per ESPN, Iverson has been granted a leave from the Grizzles for personal reasons. Its it probably over for AI. Too bad.

13. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

I bet its it.

14. Buckeyes#1

I bet he is having lower back problems again.

15. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

even the most dedicated AI supporters can't blame team or coach or management now....

Nobody forced AI to sign...

16. Buckeyes#1

He should call it quits. He has had a great career. Nothing to be ashamed of. If he can't come off the bench, I can see some honor in that. He's respecting the game if he chooses not to play when he is no longer the best. Nothing wrong with that. My first thought of Kareem when I think of him is a mental picture of him coming off the bench. That ought not to be. He had too amazing of a career for me to have that visual. Just sayin.

17. detteam

detteam All-Star

18. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Darn shame, AI was avg 12ppg 3asts and shooting over 50% from the field in 22mins, that is fantastic production that most teams would KILL for - to have coming off the bench, too bad he doesn't see it that way.

19. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Wanna bet?

20. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

I Hope you are Right.. I'm tired of the A.I. "Religion of Followers" or "Adepts" justifying everything that he does.

When this things start to happend.. maybe the best choice is Retirement..

Come on.. he can always join the "AND1" crew or the Harlem GlobbeTrotters and be around the world showing his Skills..

:pound: