Rotations - Part Deux

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Mogilny, Oct 14, 2012.

1. copper

copper Bench Warmer

The only thing that lineup needs is a defensive scheme, because there is going to be a point bonanza against them. This team is loaded with offensive potential but the defence is going to drive people nutz. Hopefully Frank, known for being defensive minded/ orientated, has this under control and is working with his guys on how to shade an opponent in a direction that you want him to go. This will allow Drum to learn how to better play helpside and limit the ammount of useless chasing he is doing every night to help cover and ending up out of position with noone covering his man. These are all rotations and covers and they are all very teachable, this will be very important if this team has any chance moving forward
  2. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

With Tay and Daye gone the Frank can finally give Stuck a shot at SF. Max better watch out because if this fails Stuckey might get som burn at PF.

Frank hates Jonas: Jerebko about to fall out of the rotation again? - Detroit Bad Boys
    linwood likes this.
  3. copper

copper Bench Warmer

the forcing of minutes for Stuckey is begginning to hit "epic" proportions. Why are we trying to keep Stuck on the floor? Playing him out of position now just to keep him in rotation is more than absurd.
  4. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Let's not make Stuckey an escapegoat now. He did have a 40 point game once.
    linwood and copper like this.
  5. copper

copper Bench Warmer

and just like Tays block he has been living off that since.
    Nemo likes this.
  6. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

To be fair, he did say use Stuckey at the 3 when it was a decent matchup.... Now lets hope he lives up to that part of the quote about playing time at the 3. I'd rather see JJ as the backup 3 but if the last 2 games are any glimpse of how he's going to play the rest of the year he's working himself right out of playing at all.

I still would love to see Stuckey showcased and then gone before the trade deadline.
  7. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

Singler really impressed me last night. Seemed much more aggressive and comfortable at the SF spot. There may be a reevaluation on his talent from average glue guy to a main contributing piece to later success. Honestly, I see a lot of the same pedigree with Prince, NCAA Championship leaders on big time college teams, cerebral, decent size for the position, and shooting. It was mentioned on the forum once, but Prince was underutilized as a pure shooter. I love that you-tube video of him cracking 7-8 threes to start the game against Duke a decade back or so. The future is looking alright finally. Oh yea, he is a PERFECT complement to Drummond. That said, we still need a big time wing scorer.
  8. copper

copper Bench Warmer

I dont want to see JJ at the 3. I understand we are a little thing there now but His ability is too limited. His shot seems to have left him, and his energy and hustle are apparently with his shot. at this point I would rather see more of Middleton getting 10 minutes a game because at least his shot is still there.
  9. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

I have yet to see Middleton play, is he big enough to defend the 3 spot? We have gone from to many SF's to really only one SF on the team that has earned any mins at that spot this year. I'd almost be interested in seeing CV play the 3 in a Big Lineup.

If your right about Middleton then I'd love to see him get the backup mins, I really want Joe to have a good idea about all the kids when the season is over so we spend our cap space smartly.

Oh and to be clear.... I'd love to see Stuckey only get garbage time mins.... :D
  10. copper

copper Bench Warmer

hes a little light but that shouldnt make a difference when comparing him to Stuck playing out of position, or even singler against bigger sfs
    Khris Middleton to Pistons: Scouting Report, Video Highlights and Analysis | Bleacher Report

Khris Middleton | NBADraft.net

as these mention a ankle injury did limit his production but the tools are there to at least get a glimpse of the kid in games.
  11. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Seriously. And the defense will be an epic fail, because while Stuck and Brandon are capable of being decent defenders, both will be undersized at the 2 and 3, and Jose's defense is pretty much BoT bad, though not for lack of trying. I wonder how much quicker Andre will get tired when trying to play defense with guys who are 6'3 (or a generous 6 with Will), 6'3 and 6'5 at the 1, 2, and 3 with BoT at the 4...:help2:
    brofmfa likes this.
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

PG: Bynum
    SG: Bynum
    SF: Villanueva
    PF: Drummond
    C: Drummond

Would that win a Championship if it existed? How would one even hope to contain it?
  13. copper

copper Bench Warmer

foul em and put em on the line...Bynums the only 1 that has a decent chance of makin 1
    brofmfa likes this.
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

A team doesn't have that many fouls to give. The 2nd half would be a rout as the air show would commence.

Also, I firmly believe that Drummond would get so frustrated after 20 misses or so that he would just start alley oop bricking FT's off the rim to himself.
    copper likes this.
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

IMO, he needs to go to a bank shot. His direction is good, but his touch is off. It is like me trying to shoot a bb into a thimble from 5 feet away. With the bank, he'll be able to put a little more force into it and should be more consistent.

Just a theory. The other benefit to it is that the misses will generally tend to come back toward him with topspin if he misses a little left or right, making it more likely that our team would get the rebound.

Some adjustment may as well be tried, b/c 0% isn't that much worse than what we're witnessing.

With Charlie, I'd recommend the bank shot as well. The backspin can make up for the flat trajectory by steepening the angle into the bucket. Also, he's used to longer range shots, so it minimizes the power differential between his bread and butter shot and his infrequent FTs.
  16. copper

copper Bench Warmer

Drum just needs repetition...which he'll get as long as hes so terrible. his shot is getting worse instead of better( form wise) his stroke looked smooth when he first started this year...maybe the coaching he is recieveing is not the right coaching? or maybe they are breaking it down to build it up.
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

In pop-a-shot people aren't ashamed to use the backboard. I wonder why it is so rare in the league. Physically, I understand that it takes more power and an x% dispersion will produce a greater spray at that further distance, but the ability to shoot flatter (and use spin to create optimal basket entry angle) should make up for part of that. As far as I remember, Dre has never airballed short. His misses are all off the heel.

I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of experiment with a shooting machine that compares them. In golf, there was a machine test done by Dave Peltz that compared chip in rates with the flag left in the hole vs taken out. I could see something similar done for FT shooting.

* the golf study determined leaving the pin in was beneficial btw (it acted more like a backboard to accept harder hit shots and that outweighed the times when it deflected a shot that would have otherwise gone in.
  18. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

He'd have to call "bank" every time, and that could get distracting.

In reality, it's rare because nobody does it; it's not cool. Study any advertising or social psychology text and they'll tell you that the number one reason that people do anything is because everyone else does it. Image is important, and banking a shot in is looked at as cheap.
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It is pretty rare to shoot 37.5% from the line too. So, he's already away from the pack in the results category. He has banked at least one in this year and it looked intentional... but definitely wasn't. That is what put the idea in my head in the first place. Another option would be for him to back up a bit in order to be able to use a little more thrust.

Charlie's 32% is crazy though for a man known for his shooting. Too much time in the sauna has fried his brain. The only other option for him would be to catch and shoot immediately after getting the feed from the ref. Maybe one of our guys in the lane could wave an arm in his face too.
  20. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I once shot (and made) a Granny shot free-throw in HS and got yelled at for it.
    When my coach asked me why I did it, I answered in true teenage slacker fashion: "Um, ...(shoulder shrug)."
    (The truth was that some friends dared me to do it and told me they'd give me $10 each to unleash the grannie in a game.)

...I was basically the 'Charlie Villanueva' of my high school team.
    If twitter would have been around back then, I would have sent a halftime tweet each and every game.
    Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.