Rotations, part... Joe D: Jennings isn't guaranteed a starter job

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Aug 7, 2013.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The burden of proof is on you, for asserting that Hammond had a larger role than Dumars.

Also, that quote satisfies your query, since I am simply restating your point of view in response to your own post.
    linwood and round like this.
  2. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

I really thought all the praise that Hammond got around here would start to slow down after the fact he hasn't done much of anything in his position of GM where he was the man. I suppose he's just sandbagging waiting to draft the next MJ. I also assume that Hammond has been sending Joe notes on draft nights the last few years helping us get quality young players each of the last 3 (hope this year makes it 4).
  3. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Those were all obvious picks.
  4. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Don't sleep on Hammond.
    Dude drafted the Greek kid.

Opa bitches!
  5. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I never said that. I just said "John Hammonds." Nothing more. I am pointing out that you do not know who put that championship team together. But I sure know who has made nothing but cap moves since '04. Joe Dumars. Finally, this year, a quality free agent signed. One good move does not a good GM make. I will say this, under Joe Dumars, we have continued to draft a lot of good quality players - only due to total mismanagement, they go to waste as we give them away to the league for squat. This trend though is lessening, it seems, as Monroe is a fine pick, got played, and is still with us. Ditto for Drummond so far. Things may be turning around. Maybe. Still good draft picks getting given away for nothing all too rapidly.
  6. linwood

linwood All-Star

Oh, come on now, Lee!
  7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

How many gears does that bike have when you pedal in reverse?
    coynejeremy and BallDon'tLie like this.
  8. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

A rotation.

Camp started today. No news from it, so I guess nobody got injured. Anyway, here is a rotation that uses a starter and a backup for each position. Probably been written before.

Start: Jennings, Pope, Smith, Monroe, Drummond

2nd unit: Siva, Billups, Datome, Mitchell, Harrellson.

left out: Bynum, Stuckey, Singler, JJ, CV
  9. McQuack

McQuack Bench Warmer

Change out Siva for Stuckey and I think you have our rotation this season. Siva, Bynum, Singler and JJ might get some playing time aswell.
  10. BallDon'tLie

I always liked it when Cloudwalker would counter lee with his own rotations that were unrealistic in their granularity and featured rosters of made-up players that nobody had ever heard of.
    ...that was some funny stuff man.
  11. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

I always find it interesting that cloudwalker shows up when people start talking about him.
    He really drops off for long periods of time. Then Kaboom................
  12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

A rotation:

Siva, Pope, Smith, Monroe, Drummond

bench: Jennings, Billups, Datome, Mitchell, Harrelson

Well, coach said Jennings is not guaranteed the starting spot. What if its Siva who can get the ball where the ball needs to go, like he did in college. Defensively, the combo of Siva and Pope beats out the combo of Jennings and Billups by miles. Why not start with a really good defensive unit. Guys like Jennings and Billups could come in early if the offense is stalling out. (But why should it stall out if Pope can nail threes, while Siva is getting it toward the basket where Smith, Monroe, and Drummond are waiting to catch a pass and dunk?)
    linwood likes this.
  13. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

That's unreal Lee.. You'll have no 3pt shooting with Siva and Pope. Well, YES, Pope is suppoused to be "the best shooter of the draft" but so far he didn't back that up with his performances in the Summer league. (Don't get me wrong, I've faith in Pope! A lot! But i'm watching the few facts. We still don't know if he would be able to adapt his shooting skills to the NBA)

And Smith can't shoot the 3 with the consistency that modern NBA is demanding.

I want to see how Smith at the 3 will work. I don't know if it'll work as we expect.
    In the back on my mind, I have this thought about Joe D. signing Smith just in case Monroe doesn't pan out this year and If he is demanding a big contract (Like we all know he will be in a few weeks comparing what Cousins just got) being able to trade Monroe and have smith at the 4 with Drummond at the 5.

I'd love to see Smith, Monroe and Drummond in the court working out well. But just because I'd love to, doesn't mean that it will.

So, I'll be open minded to the idea of having Smith at the 4 and Monroe at the 5. and Smith at the 4 and Drummond at the 5 and when Smith is tired or with foul trobules, Monroe at 4 and Drummond at 5.

Either way, I'd start the game with Smith - Monroe - Drummond, and the first to get 2 personal fouls gets subbed for Singler or Datome:

Starting:

Jennings, Billups, Smith, Monroe, Drummond

After 2 personal fouls of anyone of the frontcourt:

Jennings, Billups, Singler/Datome, Smith/Monroe, Monroe/Drummond

When Billups gets tired, Stuckey will end up stepping the floor over KCP, we ALL know that.

Anyway, there are so many possibilities, Billups could start if the opponent point guard is also a veteran. (Nash, for example) having something like this:

Billups, Stuckey, Smith, Monroe, Drummond

Knowing that when nash gets tired and (Who is the backup PG for the lakers? Blake) the subs gets in you have Jennings and KCP FULL of ENERGY to beat them up...

Anyway, I'm a little concern about Monroe. If he proves he can play the 4, he will get a big extension. But what if he doesn't ????
    linwood likes this.
  14. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If CB is healthy, this may be a real nice starting lineup.
  15. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Hi SJ. I read your comments. I will try to respond to what you said. First, if you look at the stats alone from the SL, well, it does not tell the story. Because Pope had a terrible first game shooting the ball. After that, he was nailing 3's with confidence. Of course, nobody knows if Pope is 1)Consistent 2 ) Prone to have a good game or two then a bad one or two shooting, or 3) Is just a bad NBA shooter - until we actually see him play for several months. Even then, guys joining the NBA sometimes start out great and then go into a massive shooting slump they can't shake. Who knows. All I can say, he looked pretty darn good shooting the ball for four straight games after a miserable first game. I will choose to be optimistic, and put his bad performance in the first game down to nerves.

Next. Billups staying healthy, at 37 years old, seems more of a stretch than Pope shooting well this year. I say play Pope for his defense if nothing else, and play Billups sparingly, enjoying any production we get from him. And Billups seems to have indicated that he really wants to be a point guard for this team, not a shooting guard. (Remember, I post an endless number of rotations, don't put too much thought into any particular one.)

On Stuckey playing any shooting guard, just a disaster waiting to happen for this team. If Dumars has not figured out yet that that will never work, I say send him packing along with any coach, even the new one, who goes along with even considering it.
  16. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Just wanted to correct something I said earlier. Apparently, first day of camp is tomorrow, Tuesday, Oct, 1. Also as far as I can see we just have two games on the television, the Wiz on the 22nd and Minny the 24th. I could not tell if any preseason games would be on league pass as free previews - though what I saw would lead me to believe there are none. And while NBA TV will carry some preseason games, they are not carrying any Piston preseason games. The first chance to see the Pistons is the open practice being held this weekend at the Palace, Saturday Oct 5, with entry at 10. I will see if I can get a ride down there with some friends. Generally, if you go to that open practice, you end up getting free tickets to some of the preseason games, the first of which is at the Palace on Oct 8. Its my goal to get down to see some games this season, starting in the preseason. I have not attended a Pistons game since I got laid off from work back in 08. Food on the table is slightly a higher priority. I got a bit of money budgeted now though to get to games. I work now, don't make much, but can afford to at least get to a few games.

Don't recall where I read this, but somebody has the Pistons frontcourt (small forward, power forward, and center) ranked as 2nd best in the NBA. They consider the following 4 guys when giving us this rank: Smith, Monroe, Drummond, and Harrellson. Now, I just rewatched a Summer League game, mostly rewatching all the film on Mitchell. In my so very humble opinion, nobody will be leaving out Mitchell in discussing the Pistons front court for very long.

Another rotation. Again, going back to the idea of using Billups as the backup point guard.

Jennings, Datome, Smith, Monroe, Drummond start.

2nd unit: Billups, Pope, Mitchell, Harrellson, (Smith, Monroe, or Drummond playing with the 2nd unit.)

I will explain my reasoning on a couple of things. One, Pope is quick enough so that switching him to guarding the point guard on defense is plausible - so Billups can guard the slower shooting guards. Putting guys like Datome there, or JJ, or Singler just won't allow that. And playing Stuckey at shooting guard is the last thing I would wish on my worst enemy.

Next, starting Datome. Why not. We are already going big. Why not go big in spades. Why not just flat out out muscle the other teams on offense. Out rebound them. Datome can hit the 3, so he will help spread the floor out as well as anybody. Now Jennings can guard the point guard, go for those steals, and know there is a whole lot of length on the floor behind him to help clean up his missed steals.

PS. I don't really like the roster we got, as I think we lack defensive speed to some extent. But with what we got, the above is pretty much my favorite rotation at this point.
  17. BallDon'tLie

coynejeremy likes this.
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Luckily, all he has to do it pass it off the rim.
  19. McQuack

McQuack Bench Warmer

Seriously. There's no way we gonna miss the playoffs if the Bucks made it last season with that roster.
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

No matter what our record ends up being, it is just more fun being intimidating on D than on O.

We now have the opposite of Flip Saunders basketball.
    linwood likes this.