Rotations, part... Joe D: Jennings isn't guaranteed a starter job

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Aug 7, 2013.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Without rose, and with bad grandpa starting, the bulls still made the post season? That's some accomplishment.
  2. McQuack

McQuack Bench Warmer

That's what you get with good team defense. Actually, when you think about it, last years Bulls and this years Pistons roster are quite similar.

A PG who takes ill-advised jump shots (Robinson/Jennings), Scoring PF (Boozer/Monroe), Defensive center (Noah/Drummond) and an athletic defensive SF (Deng/Smith).
  3. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Ugh, when you put it that way it looks like the Rose-less Bulls tie or beat us at every position except PG. Didn't Heinrich start btw?
  4. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I may be experiencing some fuzzy memory issues, but didn't Rip sustain his first substantial injury when Tablecloth played him at SF? IIRC, Rip at SF and Tay at PF was the dawn of small ball era.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

We don't have spare minutes at the 3 because once Datome is back, we need to see what he is all about.
  6. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Just watch his YouTube clips if you want to see what he's all about.
  7. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Dude is automatic.
    The Panda likes this.
  8. McQuack

McQuack Bench Warmer

Yes, I believe Hinrich started and Nate The Great was the one of the leading bench players with Taj Gibson.

To be honest, they're very good even without DRose. You have to remember how much older the Bulls are though. Hinrich is 32, Noah 28, Deng 28, Boozer 31 etc.
  9. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

I though Robinson went to Denver?
  10. McQuack

McQuack Bench Warmer

Yeah, but I was talking about last season.
  11. The Panda

Sorry I must have missed a part of the conversation
  12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Discussion about adding a player can hurt us. Yes, I am talking about Bynum. Going forward, we will have several options, as far as who and how we play at the guard position.

First, one possible scenario:

We start Jennings, Pope, Smith, Monroe, Drummond.

Not many people seem to have anything against this particular starting unit. Some may be skeptical of a rookie such as Pope getting into the starting mix right off, but the more they see him rebound, and play sound D, I think the few that have reservations along those lines will lose them.

2nd unit: Billups, (Datome or Singler, whoever wins out), JJ, Mitchell, Harrellson.

(With all of Drummond, Monroe, and Smith getting time with the 2nd unit to some extent - and Mitchell sliding over to small forward often to lessen the minutes we depend on JJ. In all, while both JJ and Harrellson's roles probably will be important to this team, I don't see either playing a whole lot as compared to Mitchell.)

Now, lets take the same scenario pretty much, and see what happens when we try to insert Bynum into the mix:

Bynum comes in as backup point, moving Billups to shooting guard, where he really does not want to play, and where really, we don't need him. His floor leadership as the point is what we need.

So Singler moves to small forward, where he is very ineffective, gets no height advantage anymore over his opposing player - he just becomes a defensive liability for us with no plus side to compensate for it. Then JJ goes to power forward, where he is a joke of a defender. Now Mitchell is getting his minutes cut into there at power forward. And forget Harrellson playing any at all with us trying to squeeze an extra guy into our front court in Singler.

So, to get minutes for Bynum, yeah, we lose a whole lot.

To counter all this, there is a real problem with my proposed solution - we really do not have enough speed in with a Billups / Datome (or Singler) backcourt - and you couple that with having the slower JJ, and maybe Harrellson in at the same time, and this might not work out at all.

However, on to the next possibility:

Start Jennings, Billups, Smith, Monroe, Drummond.

Here, hey, Billups being the only slow of foot guy out there, the rest of the unit can cover for him.

2nd unit: Siva, Pope, JJ, Mitchell, Monroe.

Monroe comes out early, and then is featured on the 2nd unit. Smith becomes our primary post up guy when Monroe sits early. (for Mitchell)

So we have an intermediate unit of: Jennings, Billups, Mitchell, Smith, Drummond.

Mitchell, Drummond,and Smith pose a triple threat of getting a lob dunk, with Jennings being an excellent pick and roll guy - while Billups is the perfect spot up and shoot guy.

This is basically a 9 man rotation, with Siva, Pope, and Mitchell being the main 3 off the bench, with JJ still playing a somewhat important role. (With Datome and Singler trying to take his minutes.)
  13. Walter

They're not that old. Hinrich is a role player, Rose is still quite young, Noah and Deng are in their prime. Boozer is the only old fart, but he's got a sweet mid-range jumper and he is an opportunistic rebounder so he should be good to go for at least another 2 years.
  14. McQuack

McQuack Bench Warmer

I think they're kinda old when you compare them to our roster. Mogilny said they're better at every position, and I just said you should remember the age difference. How good will Drummond/Monroe be when they're in their prime like Noah/Deng etc?
  15. Walter

Aah yes. In about 2-3 years, if we keep this core, we should be at or near the top of the EC.
  16. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

A rotation.

Jennings, Pope, Smith, Monroe, Drummond start.

2nd unit: Stuckey, Middleton, Daye, Mitchell, Harrellson.
  17. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Billups playing in his 3rd game in 5 nights. Don't think so. Coach said when Jennings was back, he would be put right back into the mix. So, for Sunday's game:

Start Jennings, Pope, Smith, Monroe, Drummond

2nd unit: Stuckey, Datome (with Pope playing a lot with the 2nd unit), JJ (with Smith playing some with the 2nd unit), Mitchell, (Monroe or Drummond taking turns playing center with the 2nd unit.)

For minutes, something like this.

Just 10 for JJ and Datome.

20 for Mitchell.

18 for Stuckey

30 for Jennings.

40 for Pope

35 for Smith, Drummond, and Monroe.

Math check, 240 minutes needed, 233 listed. Close enough. So each player plays a minute more about than listed.

Some possible units we could see early 2nd:

Stuckey, Pope, Smith, Mitchell, Monroe

Stuckey, Datome, JJ, Mitchell, Drummond

Stuckey, Pope, Mitchell, Smith, Drummond
  18. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Jennings isnt a very good basketball player. He shoots a lot even though he's a poor shooter, so far he's shooting 39% this year. People thought it was shot selection but it isn't, he's a poor finisher and he's a poor shooter when he's open. He's nothing more than a spark off the bench who gets his numbers by jacking up shots. Look at his career %, looking at him game after game it's easy to see why Milwaukee (and no one else for that matter) wanted him. Bench him and give Chauncy a shot as the starting PG.
  19. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

You start: Billups, KCP, Smith, Moose, Dre
    First sub: Stuckey for one of the bigs. Next Sub: Gigi (or Singler) for one of the guards.
    The 2nd qtr unit: Jennings, Stuckey, (Singleror GiGi) any two of the bigs.

This pattern is designed to limit the amount of time the Smith aye SF AND limit the amount of time our backup SF spends on the floor.
  20. The Panda

Respectfully disagree. Jennings starts shooting when other people start missing. He tries to shoulder the load but he isn't good enough. Have a look how Monta "have it all" Ellis is going in Dallas for an example of what could happen.