Rotations, part... Joe D: Jennings isn't guaranteed a starter job

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Aug 7, 2013.

1. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Point Guard Possibilities | THE OFFICIAL SITE OF THE DETROIT PISTONS
    Some disturbing tendencies here:
    How about a backcourt parining of Jennings and Bynum? Anyone like???
  2. mikhail1973

PistonPowered: Detroit Pistons actually have some tough rotation decisions to make this season | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
    This one sounds better:
  3. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

I think we could be seeing quite a bit of Charlie V at the 4. Playing the 3 on offense, 4 on d
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Sounds like Singler is the odd man out. Oh Kyle, it seems so long ago that we watched your trick shot video...
  5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Early in the season, we start

Jennings
    Stuckey
    Smith
    Monroe
    Drummond

Subs are

Billups
    Bynum
    Singler
    Villanueva

Late in the season, we start

Bynum
    Jennings
    Datome
    Smith
    Monroe

Subs are

Drummond
    Billups
    Stuckey
    Mitchell
  6. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You forgot English and Mejia.
  7. linwood

linwood All-Star

I think if we face a team that is starting a Ford Focus at small forward, Kyle will see big minutes.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Laimbrane and Walter like this.
  8. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It's just pre-season motivation spiel. I don't like the idea of Jennings coming off the bench and I see no way it happens. You're just asking him to play the same role he did in Milwaukee with the 2nd unit - ie. option 1, 2 and 3. I see Roscoe's starting unit playing out with Stuckey at the 2 seeing as Billups has made it clear he wants to play PG. I think Bynum is the odd man out to begin the season which is unfortunate. If they can find a way to give him 10 minutes a game, only when Dre is also on the court I'd be happy.

I'm really interested to see what Pope and Datome can bring to the table.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  9. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Jennings and Drummond are going to nice on the pick and roll.

Sent from Joe's Blackberry using Tapatalk 2.
  10. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Indeed.
    ...much more interested in seeing these two than Stuckey and Singler (and I like Singler as an occasional glue guy).

We've seen enough of Stuckey.
    We know what he brings.
    It hasn't changed in 6 years.
  11. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

If the starting front court is Smith-Moose-Drummond and Cheeks starts Stuckey at the 2, he should be fired on the spot. Your starting 2 has to be someone who can hit that long shot reliably. I wouldn't be surprised if Singler started at the 2. At least until Pope wins it from him.

The way I see the rotations shaking out:

BEGINNING OF THE SEASON
    Start: Jennings-Singler-Smith-Moose-Drummond
    Subs: Billups-Stuckey-Pope-Datome-CV

LATER ON
    Start: Jennings-Pope-Smith-Moose-Drummond
    Subs: Bynum-Stuckey-Singler-Datome-CV (because Billups will be hurt)
    Laimbrane likes this.
  12. mikhail1973

You left Mejia out. :welcome:
    BallDon'tLie likes this.
  13. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Not that Singler necessarily hits the shot reliably, but you're right about the shooting guard needing to be able to... well, shoot. Stickey and Bynum rely on driving the lane, not shooting 3's. You don't want opponents packing the lane all the time, no matter how good your bigs are at passing the ball.

I'd rather see a starting lineup of Jennings/Stuckey/CV/Smith/Monroe than one of Jennings/Stuckey/Smith/Monroe/Drummond. Not that that's an ideal lineup, but oftentimes unit balance is more important than individual talent. To give an extreme example, you would never start a lineup of Garnett/Bosh/Howard/M.Gasol/Hibbert, even if it would be the most talented lineup in the NBA.

If Pope isn't ready, my preference would be Jennings/Billups/Smith/Monroe/Drummond. Billups is still strong, and while not ideally suited to be a shooting guard, can still give the team the long-range threat that it needs to stretch the floor.

Actually, I would be okay with a Jennings/Bynum/Smith/Monroe/Drummond lineup... none of the other four can shoot the three, but they could run pick-and-roll clear-outs that had Drummond and Smith setting screens for each other and crashing the basket on the weak side of the play.
    The Panda likes this.
  14. Ernie the Slow Adult

I think Billups will start if Pope can't.

15. mikhail1973

After the Buzzer - Starting Spot for Brandon Jennings Not Guaranteed?
    roscoe36 likes this.
  16. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think the most interesting piece of the rotation puzzle will be Drummond. If he does start and come out of the game after 6 minutes as Joe insinuated, it could mean he will still get minutes with the 2nd unit, and more importantly with Bynum should he remain in the rotation.

I think to start the season anyway, playing Drummond in 6 minute spurts could be beneficial. 6 mins to start the 1st and 3rd Q against the other teams starters, then 6 mins to start the 2nd and 4th Q against the other teams 2nd unit. That's 24. Depending how he is playing, give him a few extra minutes here and there to boost it up to 27-30. I think that's realistic.

Playing him this way will help keep his energy up and his effectiveness high. Plus you maintain some strength defensively for our 2nd unit which looks weak in that regard considering it will likely have Bynum, Datome, CV, etc. And obviously maintaining the chemistry Bynum and Dre had is a nice thing.

I'm still very keen to see how the chemistry between Jennings and Drummond can be established. I'm guessing with the starters Dre will have no plays run for him. But when the play breaks down and Jennings is forced to create off the dribble and Drummond sets that high pick, he will be involved.
  17. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I think the chemistry thing between Bynum and Drummond is a myth. The fact is, we did not start Drummond, and so our starting point guard, Knight, did not get much chance to ever lob passes to Andre for dunks. We also saw plenty of dunks from Drummond with various people passing him the ball. Drummond got plenty of dunks in the summer league recently, and I assure you, Bynum was not in the game.

As I posted in another thread, this team can be pretty darn awful, on D to be specific (and to a great extent O too if Bynum is left in too much to disorganize the team) if players such as CV etc. are allowed to play on the 2nd team. I am going to post a rotation. Might be the same old. Maybe something will change. Here goes.

Start Jennings, Pope, Smith, Monroe, Drummond.

At 6 minutes, Mitchell comes in at small forward, moving Smith to power forward, and Monroe to center as Drummond gets his first rest.

So in the first quarter, Smith splits his time between power forward and small forward, 50/50.

Start of the 2nd quarter, four more subs in, and Drummond returns to play 6 minutes with the subs.

Billups, Datome at shooting guard, JJ at small forward, Mitchell at power forward, Drummond at center.

Here, the theory is simple, who cares about keeping the perimeter guys from driving in if you have Mitchell and Drummond to greet them. Let them drive. Send out gold plated invitations. With door prizes. Please, come on in.

This unit has lots of size, so on offense, they should be difficult to stop. Billups and Datome provide the outside fireworks, and can you think of anyone else better than Billups to find a way to feed Mitchell and Drummond for dunks? JJ kind of becomes the glue guy for the unit, rebounding, hustling for loose balls. If his shot is on, hey just the better.

Now Smith and the rest of the starters come back in. Drummond sits. So you need one guy to stay out there. Mitchell has already played 12 minutes at this point, so its by default, Datome who finishes the 2nd half out with most of the starters

Thats)

Jennings, Pope, Datome, Smith, Monroe.

Again, Smith is at his best spot, power forward.

Now the 2nd half gets a simple adjustment - Drummond only plays the first 3 minutes of the 4th quarter so he can come in and play the last 6 minutes of the game. (Giving Drums 27 minutes total for the game.)

Smith only gets 3 minutes rest total in the 2nd half, as he comes in for Drummond 3 minutes into the 4th quarter and stays in the rest of the game. For that 3 minutes, you have this unit)

Billups, Datome, Mitchell, Smith, Monroe.

Again, Smith is in his best spot, power foward. In total, he plays 39 minutes, 12 of them at small forward, and 27 of them at power forward. Note though, I seriously doubt that with this setup that Smith would average more than 35 minutes per game, because I would suspect that we would blow the other team out often enough that Smith will seldom see much time at the end of the 4th quarter.

Note, since Drummond was sitting, Monroe plays those 3 extra minutes to shore up the defense more than JJ would. For Monroe, he also plays 39 minutes - or less depending on the preponderance of GT.

I guess I'll add the minutes for the other players)

Jennings 36, Billups 12, Pope 36, Datome 18, Smith 39, JJ 9, Monroe 39, Mitchell 24, Drummond 27

I'd say this is a pretty solid 9 man rotation. Worst outside shooter in the game at guard is Jennings. We often give up shooting at small forward but gain other things like rebounding and inside scoring. (And for 12 minutes with Smith, and another 15 minutes with Mitchell, defense.) No real slouches at the bigs positions on D. Just Smith, Monroe, Drummond, and Mitchell play those two positions. At the point, you got two true point guards, so the team should always stay well organized. The 2nd group of guards are not going to be much on D, except both are tall and should be able to at least disrupt outside shooting. They are slow, but when they are in we should have enough front line help such that other guards getting past them should not be too great a problem.

And just to be complete, even in garbage time, you want to continue building on organization. Siva is the perfect guy for the time being for that. Plus if we are well ahead, and just need to make sure our D is real solid, no reason Siva can't play some early 4th quarter minutes.
    The Panda likes this.
  18. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Let's hope Drummond fixes his FT shooting. By "fixing," I believe he needs to be at 60% in order to stay in the game at crunch time.

Last year, he shot 59 for 159 (37.1%).

In his one season at UConn, he shot 26 for 88 (29.5%).

On the plus side, he did improve some....
    linwood likes this.
  19. Ernie the Slow Adult

Drummond is going to be tired shooting all those FT's if teams start fouling him on purpose.

I think they should only play him once every 3-4 games to be safe. 6 minutes to start each half or until he attempts 3 FT's, whichever comes first.

20. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

As you may have noticed it mentioned previously, Drummond's form at the FT line looked vastly improved at the summer league. I would not be surprised if his % goes to 70.