Rotations, part... Joe D: Jennings isn't guaranteed a starter job

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Aug 7, 2013.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He's 6'0", so that is plenty tall enough. You must be thinking of Will Bynum, who is only 6'0".

2. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

Yea. I agree. Siva's game has holes and he is small. However, his on the ball defense was Lindsey Hunteresque. He was right up there bodying up the ball handler and slowing down their offense. He was super passive in the offense side, but I think as someone else stated he was in self preservation mode and not wanting to turn the ball over. He had that travel violation, but if he didn't hesitate that is either a layup or free throws. Stuckey or Bynum need to be traded. Siva is a great 4th guard option. Those other guys are both 3rd guards and too redundant. KCP is awesome at perimeter defense. His ability to stay with his guy through a pick is uncanny.

3. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Will is a short six feet.

4. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Siva has a longer neck.

5. max

max All-Star

With shoes on and rounded up. He is really like a tall 5'9" or short 6'

roscoe36 likes this.
  6. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I thought Will Bynum was too short to defend NBA PGs.

7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I'd say there is a 4" difference in heights between Will and Peyton, regardless of the listings.

Anyway, I still do not believe the Pistons have begun to put their best product on the floor. And I still believe they are a few players short have having a really solid roster.

Point: No problem there. Jennings starts, Stuckey subs. Siva also dresses in case we have an end of game situation where due to foul trouble or injury, we need an emergency point guard. Especially if we have a narrow lead to defend.

Shooting guard: Pope. After that, we just have bad choices. We need to trade for a backup shooting guard for Pope.

Small forward: Smith. After that, not really any good choices. Last game, Milwaukee, saw us use Pope there extensively. Pope is not the worst choice in the league at small forward, but it puts us undersized at that position. We need another small forward to back up Smith.

Power forward: No real problem, put Mitchell in the backup slot as the sub for Monroe.

Center. Yes, you could put Monroe there as Drummond's backup, but it would be better to pick up a decent center in trade. One that can post up a bit, defend a bit. Nothing spectacular, just someone who can hold the fort for maybe 6 minutes per half. No slow of foot candidates need apply.

Who I left out: Bynum. Does not keep the offense organized, plays no D. Trade him or cut him.

Singler. Does not play all that well despite all the hustle. He fails inside in terms of size, and fails on the perimeter in terms of quickness. Trade him or cut him.

JJ. Might be worth keeping as a depth player at small forward.

Datome. Not enough data on him really. He seems kind of slow. But he may be an improvement over Singler as a backup front line player. So far, his involvement has been continually sabotaged by having to play along side Singler, giving us a way too slow front line.

Harrellson. For now, we got to keep him, just to have an emergency center. Like Datome, he has not really played enough so that we know what we got. I do note that despite just sporadic playing time so far, he has managed to knock down a couple of 3's. I imagine, since he has in a few different places already, that he can hit over 30% on threes, maybe as high as 37%. Of note, he is still in his infancy as far as being a basketball player. Nothing at all in his short career shows any leveling off of his rather dramatic increase in talents. Work on getting quicker though is probably the number one thing he needs.

Billups. He still has it in terms of smart point guard play, being a general on the floor. Unfortunately, we have a coach bound and determined to put Bynum in as the backup point, regardless of any logic in the situation. Nothing wrong with keeping Billups around - but any diminishing of Pope's minutes at shooting guard is a direct detriment to this team.

CV. Sure he just had a good game. But CV in the past has had lots of good games vs. the poorer defensive teams in the league. I am not at all convinced he belongs on the team. But he is young enough to turn it around yet. You never know. My suggestion, cut our losses now. Trade him or cut him.

Other: We saw some success at using Billups as a hybrid shooting guard / floor general, with Bynum being used as his "feet" to run the play after Billups gets everyone in position for the play. While this could work as far as offensive substitution, it is a poor way to go on defense. Billups is too slow these days, and Bynum too short. It would leave too many poorly contested shots on the perimeter.

So, in all, I propose trading the following people away: Bynum, Singler, CV, along with any of: Billups, JJ, Datome, Harrellson, and get backups at: shooting guard, small forward, and center.

Our roster would look like this:

Point: Jennings, Stuckey, Siva

Shooting guard: Pope, new guy

Small forward: Smith, new guy

Power forward: Monroe, Mitchell

Center: Drummond, new guy.

That is 11 players. Still room for 4 other players, and while guys like Datome, Harrellson, JJ, and Billups are possibilities to keep around, I'd just clean house on that, and have 4 new young guys on the roster for our depth - keeping maybe two of these at a time in the D league. Billups we could keep around as a coach.

8. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I think if we trade our worst players for good backup players from other teams, we will be better.

J-Train likes this.
  9. linwood

linwood All-Star

I spent the last 27 minutes thinking about this, and I can't find a problem with this logic. Well done, basketbills. If only Joe would figure this out.

10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I like how Harrelson, Bynum, Singler etc are fan favorites and Lee wants to get rid of them for "basically anyone else".

Ernie the Slow Adult and kpaav like this.
  11. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Trade the entire roster for Middleton.
    ...actually, gotta keep Siva to in-bound the ball.

linwood likes this.
  12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

No, you don't quite understand. I doubt anybody will give us anything for them. Its CV's expiring contract more than anything that we could actually get anything for. Now, I know I am just being picky on word selection - on purpose. Just want to restate there is no reason these guys should be on our team, and I highly doubt any other team would find a home for them.

13. basketbills

Now that Siva is 6'4, I'm guessing there will be a lot of teams wanting to trade for him.

linwood and Walter like this.
  14. roscoe36

Remember when Darko got taller every season?

15. roscoe36

I never said you wanted to trade them. I said you wanted to get rid of them.

16. BallDon'tLie

Yeah.
    4" looks about right.

[​IMG]

17. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Hmm, if the guy in the left picture moved back about maybe, oh, another 80 feet, it would give about the right perspective.

18. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Well, technically, you just did not say it clearly enough. Good to see though that we are on the same page now.

19. BallDon'tLie

Indeed lee.
    It's all about having the right perspective.

20. basketbills

And the right camera angles.