Rotations, part... Joe D: Jennings isn't guaranteed a starter job

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Aug 7, 2013.

1. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

When Moose gets the ball on the pick and pop in that area he's usually WIDE OPEN and he just freezes up and gets this confused look on his face. He HAS to start taking and making that shot, it would change a lot!

Also I' notice on that pic above that he's only taken 17 shots in 23 games from the FT line area......again he's usually WIDE OPEN in that area!
  2. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Yeah, if Moose can hit those wide-open shots and makes enough of them that the defense has to react, it'll create passing opportunities.

I still have faith in the big guy.
    linwood likes this.
  3. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Even though many of us are starting to see that the starting frontline isn't going to work, it's not like we have a SF on this team who should be or could start! Unfortunately On THIS team Singler is our best SF. If we had a guy like Jeff Green we could definitely move Smith to the bench.
  4. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Unfortunately, I don't think Josh Smith is mentally strong enough to be reduced to a bench role, even if he gets 32 mpg. It would be another Rip situation, and turn toxic.
  5. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Which makes him easier to trade. Adding Smith AND Jennings just wasn't a good move. We have 3 starters who struggle to shoot 40% from the field and the other 2 can't make a shot from more than 6 feet away from the basket!
  6. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

When we added Jennings, you loved the move. Why did your opinion change?
  7. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Whoa Nelly! I NEVER liked Jennings, I just hated him less than Brandon Knight; but once a guy is a Piston I cheer for them and try to stay optimistic until they show otherwise. Individually each is OK but it's hard to win when you have 2 marquee signings who shoot that poorly.
  8. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You know this was coming. Quotes from you:

The Panda likes this.
  9. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

This is a second like of that post
  10. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I said I try to stay optimistic until proven wrong. ALL of that stuff is true, but he hasn't improved his game on a consistent basis.
    brofmfa and basketbills like this.
  11. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

After an absolutely horrific start, I believe that Jennings has shown some improvement. He's genuinely looking for his teammates. I've seen so many of his dimes be off the mark by just a hair, and I think that some of that has to due with the fact that he's still learning his teammates and vice versa.

After some pretty nasty chucking early, he's starting to take better shots. His FG% will never be great. A lot of that has to do with the fact that he's taking so many of his shots when the offense has stalled or the shot clock is under 3 or 4 seconds. I'll take 37-38% on long twos and threes and the end of the clock.

He still needs to work on his P&R game. He still needs to improve his defense. Having said that, he's looking like a 17 and 8 guy right now. If he can improve that over the course of the year, then I'll be happy.
  12. The Panda

He has a really good knack for making sweet passes. With so much power inside as our offense gets better (read: setting good screens for interior cuts) I see no reason why he can't average 10 assists a game. If he gave us 13-15/10 and average defense, I'll be happy.
  13. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I think part of the problem with Jenmings is he only can make the home run pass.

That probably goes for his shooting also.

With both he and Smith, I think it is the shots and where they take them from that matters more than their %.

Someone mentioned that Smith took a lot of shots last night on his way to his 30 points, but that doesn't matter to me. He was aggressive from good spots and the Pacers weren't off and running from his misses.

Jennings was similarly "controlled" vs. Indy. I feel like he took about 18 shots and it seems like they were all pretty solid.

That's the best you can hope for with these guys. Cheecks did it with Stuckey..........

Sent from the new and improved Tapatalk 2.
  14. The Panda

If Cheeks can get Smith to be a eFG%50 30/5/5 guy we really need to give him an extension. If he gets Jennings to 'controlled' 15/10, he may as well coach every team in the league.
  15. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

My biggest issue with Jennings is that he hasn't made any improvements to his game since coming into the league, he essentially the same player now that he was4 years ago. Rather than fix his weaknesses he's opted to play around them. Also, there's a reason why he has the Ball late in the clock.....it's because he fails to get us into our offense! He over dribbles, gets us into a set late in the clock so we don't get to our second option, so it turns into a late shot clock chuck.
    J-Train likes this.
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

In looking at his year by year stats (per 36 minute), it is amazing how static they are.

year: Pts/ Reb/ Ast/Tov/ Stl/ Blk/ PER
    2010: 17.1/ 3.8/ 6.3/ 2.7/ 1.4/ 0.2/ 14.5
    2011: 16.9/ 3.9/ 5.1/ 2.4/ 1.6/ 0.3/ 15.6
    2012: 19.5/ 3.5/ 5.6/ 2.3/ 1.6/ 0.3/ 18.4
    2013: 17.4/ 3.1/ 6.5/ 2.5/ 1.6/ 0.1/ 16.1
    2014: 16.5/ 3.4/ 7.5/ 3.3/ 1.6/ 0.1/ 16.3

The steals are really consistent. He's having his 2nd best year PER wise. He's upped his previous best by a full assist per 36 and his turnovers increased a little disproportionately. Overall though, I'd say that we got the guy that we paid for. No surprises.

Just out of pure curiosity, I checked out Mo Cheeks' career per 36 averages against Jennings' career. I was basically wondering what type of things Cheeks would take from his own success and try to convey to Jennings.

Stat: MC/ BJ
    Pts: 12.6/ 17.6
    FGA: 9.7/ 16.0
    TS%: .572/ .497
    3P%: .255/ .354
    Ast: 7.6/ 6.1
    Tov: 2.3/ 2.6
    Reb: 3.2/ 3.5
    Stl: 2.4/ 1.5

BJ shoots way more and is very inefficient compared to Mo... but MC was bad from deep. Assists are about the same considering the paces are probably different. I think of BJ as a steals guy, but Cheeks was way better.

17. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

@TaS, Cheecks was #1 all time in steals at the time he retired, I think. He's might be 3rd still.

Sent from the new and improved Tapatalk 2.
  18. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Well here we are at 14-19, after blowout losses @Orl and @Wash, and 4th qtr meltdowns at home against Wash and Charlotte. This team has talent, but we we must shorten our rotation. This whole bench brigade thing is killing us and I find it useless. The politics of the NBA won't allow for one of the Big-3 to go to the bench but I do think we can start rotating players for the sake of rest.

Starters: Jennings / Pope / Smith / Monroe / Drummond. The goal should be to have Smith play a minimal amount of time at SF and have Monroe play most of his minutes at C against the oppositions 2nd unit.

Backups
    PG: Bynum, SG: Stuckey, SF: Singler, PF: Smith, C: Monroe

This is an 8 man rotation and we can use Jorts against bigger teams or when guys get into foul trouble.

The Closers
    Jennings, Stuckey, Singler-or-Pope, Smith and Monroe.

Here's what I've learned so far.......Drummond is a terrible defender and until he fixes it, go with the offensive production of Monroe.
    Walter likes this.
  19. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

First of all, we really do not have good enough players at the moment to really make a whole rotation. But here is what I think is best. Same starters as you list. But:

Pope plays continuously until he fouls out, since we do not have anyone to properly back him up.

Stuckey or Jennings always at point.

I say always use Jorts. Everytime we have done that, we have won. Singler should not even be on the team, in my opinion.

As raw as he is, I still say Mitchell should be playing, to provide defensive energy off the bench.

So, same starters, and Stuckey, Mitchell, and Jorts off the bench. Just an 8 man rotation. Stuckey is the emergency shooting guard, when Pope can't cover all the minutes.

The only other two players I can see any place for, Siva, as a defensive sub / emergency point guard. And JJ, who can give us some minutes at backup small forward.

No place for: Singler, Bynum, CV, Datome, Billups.
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Drummond's rebounding is a huge part of our offense though. He's by far out most valuable player (I.e. in an auction for a one year contract, he'd command the most on the team). Any breakup of the 3 bigs would be a valuable experiment to see if it would help.