Rotations, part... Joe D: Jennings isn't guaranteed a starter job

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Aug 7, 2013.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

2. linwood

linwood All-Star

I would be very surprised if he hits 70% of his freethrows. I would also be ecstatic.
  3. linwood

linwood All-Star

4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

You can never tell for sure until the actual improvement takes place in the stats. But I have never seen anyone with form as good as he has now shoot much under 70%.
  5. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

What the myth fails to mention is the fact that the other team comes down and buries a three while Bynum looks up at the play. Next play, the alley oop goes awry, the other team fast breaks. They miss, but Bynum is there to look up at the play while the other team rebounds the ball and puts it back in. One great dunk by Drummond. Another 3 points down for the team.
  6. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Ben Wallace had good FT shooting form. He still shot under 35% in his 15th and 16th seasons in the league. He could make 20 free throws in a row in practice. For some players, it is all mental when it comes down to knocking down free throws. It basically comes down to 3 things: (1) Technique, (2) Repetitions, (3) Confidence.
    The Panda likes this.
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

In spot up situations on defense, the man that Bynum was guarding went 29-86 (.276) from 3-point range. So, they drained a 3-pointer on him about once every 3 games at a very bad percentage. That's 57 long rebounds and fast break opportunities for us.

On offense, about 50% of Will Bynum's shots came in the P&R, where he shot exactly 50% (123-246). Drummond shot 67% on all shots that were the result of cuts and P&R catches. Bynum had 95 assists in the paint last year with 26 resulting in dunks.

The dude just breeds bunnies.
    The Panda, coynejeremy, raw36 and 4 others like this.
  8. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

Lee posted a 529 word rotation description that went into great detail.
    It was amazing for me cause not once did he mention the word Stuckey............
  9. linwood

linwood All-Star

The myth grows.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    webz and roscoe36 like this.
  10. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Because just mentioning this mane is a sin here.
  11. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

No, Ben Wallace had occasional good form. Good form means both of correct form and consistency. Ben Wallace would consistently air ball a free throw about a much as anything. Drummond, in the summer league, showed good form, and that good form was seen on every shot, with free throws that missed just barely missing. Again, until we actually see Drummond's improved form equate into good free throw shooting percentage in the season, its speculative. I am just pointing out that there is hope that hack a Drummond is old and soon to be forgotten news.
  12. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Drummond shot some of the worst airballs I've seen during this summer league. His FT shooting was worse than it was during last season.
  13. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I missed the first two. Perhaps they got better in the last 3, which I did watch> Did you watch the last 3? How many airballs in those games?
  14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

You like stats? How about these to tell you just how bad Bynum can make his fellow players look.

PS, post not directly about Dumars, yet the following is why I think he just needs to move on to somebody else's organization.

Daye, our only plus guy last year. Yes, plus 79 for the season. Nobody was even close to even that played any significant amount of minutes. But lets break that down to what is important, getting more points than the other team from the time you enter the game until the time you sit.

Daye, overall, saw his team gain ground 37 times when he played a stretch of minutes. And we lost ground 28 times when he played a stretch of minutes. Ok, so you might not think that is all that impressive, maybe just a fluke in the data.

But look at what happens when you separate Daye's win / loss's according to whether Bynum was on the floor with him.

With Bynum, Daye lost more than he won, 19 wins, to 24 losses.

But without Bynum, Daye had 18 wins, and just 4 losses.

Bynum, absolutely, is a nightmare for a fellow teammate to be on the floor with. Good luck in defending him on that.
  15. Mogilny

I watched all games except the last one against the Heat (the second time they played them). The first games was the worst but except for one game where Dre shot about 50 percent (or slightly over) when the opponent used the Hack-A-Dre he was terrible. That game really boosted his FT percentage and I think he ended up shooting 33% or something so he was probably around 20% in the rest of the games. Don't remember when every airball was shot but there were plenty of them. His FT shooting was a standing joke among the announcers during the whole tournament.
  16. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

And so there is doubt in your mind about when the air balls were. Meanwhile, you are trying to tell me you did not notice the better form, even though the announcers mentioned it often?
  17. Mogilny

Probably because the form was as bad as usual.
    linwood likes this.
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The 2 most frequently used 5-man units with Bynum and Daye were +31 last year (WB/RS/AD/CV/Drum and WB/KS/AD/CV/Drum). Bynum's results suffered when they paired him with scrubs like English, TRG, and Maggette.

On the season, both Calderon and Stuckey had worst +/-'s than WB. Stuckey's was nearly twice as bad.

W-L %'s were as follows (i.e. percentage of time the team outscored the opposition with each player on the court):

BK: .414
    WB: .393
    RS: .316
    JC: .296

Overall, PG was our 2nd best position last year behind C (in terms of PER differential).

Will Bynum sets up teammates more than anyone on the Pistons « PistonPowered

Drummond seems to love him as a teammate, and he's the only untouchable player on the roster.
    brofmfa likes this.
  19. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Actually, you are confusing form with results.

Good form means that your feet are spaced about shoulder-width apart and pointing towards the hoop. Your knees are bent. Your elbow stays in close to the side of your body. You have a good, high follow-through with the fingers of your shooting hand "reaching into the cookie jar." The ball comes off your fingers with backspin. You can judge if a person has good form without even looking at where the ball ends up.
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Ben's wrist popped out of its socket randomly according to him. Not sure I believe him, but that's a pretty good explanation for his alternating swishes and air balls.