Rotations, part... Joe D: Jennings isn't guaranteed a starter job

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Lets sign Mejia and Macklin, and Rip Hamilton and Antawn Jamison. Dump Bynum, Singler, JJ, and CV.

This gives us three point guards: Jennings, Billups, Stuckey, and Siva. Several shooting guards and small forwards: Pope, Hamilton, Mejia, Datome, Smith. Plenty of power forwards: Smith, Monroe, Jamison, Mitchell. And 3 centers: Drummond, Macklin, and Harrellson.

One possible rotation with all the above: Start Jennings, Pope, Smith, Monroe, Drummond.

2nd unit is Billups, Hamilton, Datome, Jamison, Macklin

The extended bench (and GT unit: Siva, Mejia, Stuckey, Mitchell, Harrellson.
    linwood likes this.
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You lost me at this point.... :)
    linwood likes this.
  3. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It was actually very clever. He didn't include Stuckey as either a PG, SG or SF.
    Nemo likes this.
  4. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

It was actually very clever. He dreams of Stuckey not being on the roster......:)
  5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Actually, Lee is one of the few posters that is still somewhat high on Stuckey.
  6. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

[​IMG]
    linwood likes this.
  7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

In regards to Stuckey, he was simply not why we lost so many games since he got here. Rather, it was who played the other positions around him that was the problem. Knight was never an upgrade and it was a mistake to draft him to replace Stuckey when we had so many other glaring needs. Here is my opinion on how many more wins we will get due to Jennings being our starting point guard instead of Stuckey. Not a single game.
  8. linwood

linwood All-Star

[​IMG]
    coynejeremy and webz like this.
  9. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

The mere fact that Brandon Jennings can dribble a basketball without having to watch himself do it is good for a few more wins all by itself.
    Rodney Stuckey is nothing more than a situational player to bring in for short stretches if your team needs some dribble penetration and to draw some fouls. - After 6 spoon-fed years, that's ALL he is!
    del and coynejeremy like this.
  10. J-Train

J-Train Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Agreed. Although, we might need to go to him at the 2 if Pope struggles, which is bad.
  11. BallDon'tLie

My sincere hope is that Stuckey is traded before the season so we don't even have to be having this discussion.
    ...If not, Chauncey, Singler or simply suffering through some rookie mistakes with KCP are all MUCH better options than giving any significant minutes to Stuckey at SG.

...any proposed rotation that features Stuckey or BoT should be reserved for the "Mostly Joking" thread.
  12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I have watched plenty of head to head matches between Stuckey and Jennings. Stuckey holds his own just fine, plus actually adds to our interior D. When it comes to winning games, I say take Stuckey.
    BallDon'tLie likes this.
  13. BallDon'tLie

lee, I KNOW you don't believe this.
    You're way too intelligent to believe this.
    You watch too much frame-by-frame Piston basketball to believe this.
    It's almost Labor Day. Things are boring in "NBA Land" with very little to discuss. You seem to be looking for a healthy debate.

...The problem is that there is absolutely NO 'bizzaro-world' situation that can be given as to why the 2013/14 Pistons need to place a premium on getting "interior D" help from Rodney freaking Stuckey when they have the likes of Drummond, Smith, Monroe and Mitchell basically putting up a force field around the rim!

For the first time in a very long time, we will be going into a season with some guards who can actually dribble, pass AND shoot!
    THOSE are the three things that we will really need our PG & SG to do. The last thing we need to see is Rod Stuckey, head down; crashing through the lane and risking injury to our own bigs. We need shooters who can spread the floor. Rodney can't spread peanut butter!
    Interior defense is waaaaaay down the list of important attributes that the Detroit Pistons need from their guards.
    ...In fact, it's somewhere between 'Planking' and 'Banjo Playing' as far as top guard priorities go.
    del, raw36, coynejeremy and 4 others like this.
  14. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Right, because Stuckey has won a lot of games and Jennings has only taken his team (with arguably less talent) to the playoffs.
    raw36 and The Panda like this.
  15. The Panda

I worry when the best thing you could say about Stuckey, a guard, was that he adds to our interior D.
    del, BallDon'tLie and linwood like this.
  16. linwood

linwood All-Star

Good thing Joe didn't trade Stuckey. I would hate for our new point guard to have to face the Jennings Stopper. Nice move, Joe.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    raw36 likes this.
  17. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

as

I agree that any time Stuckey is at shooting guard is a horrible situation. However, his stats show that he is far more effective as a point guard. Most of my rotations these days do not include him as the powers that be have chosen Jennings as our point guard now. And brought on Billups to be the backup. Well, here is a rotation with Stuckey as backup point, with Billups the backup shooting guard.

Start Jennings, Pope, Smith, Monroe, Drummond

2nd unit: Stuckey, Billups, Datome, Mitchell, Harrellson.

Left out: Siva, Bynum, Singler, JJ, and CV
  18. The Panda

I don't think the question is which position he is most effective at, it is whether he is effective at all!

I'd rather have Billups back the point, than Stuckey. All day. Give the rest of the minutes to Siva. Stuckey can go play in the sandpit.
    coynejeremy likes this.
  19. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

This Zack Lowe quote made me think of Stuckey when I read it. Doesn't this critique match Stuckey's? He really is the perpetual rookie.
    The Portland Trail Blazers' refurbished roster - Grantland

Intriguing Monroe for Aldridge deal in there as well.
  20. BallDon'tLie

Cool! We are absolutely on the same page here!

Can you share these stats? As far as the "eyeball test" goes, it's hard to determine which backcourt position Stuckey is actually playing when he is in there. ...therefore, I'm a bit skeptical that his stats are much different, irregardless of whether he's playing SG or PG.

When I watch him in frame-by-frame-slow-motion, all I see is a dude that dribbles with his head down and misses TONS of opportunities to set-up teamates for easy baskets in favor of bulldozing his way into the teeth of the defense so that he can take a contested shot.
    (...of course this is all in between fits of whining to his coach that he isn't being used correctly or outright refusing to even go into the game in the first place.)

After 6 years of watching this dude, my belief is that he is nothing more than a situational guy that you can put in for a few minutes whenever you need to slow the game down and draw a few fouls.

I'd much rather see Siva, Singler or Bynum get any available minutes that Rodney would otherwise get in the Piston backcourt.