Rotations - Part Trois

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Mogilny, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

A rotation, based on using what is the concensus starting unit - seemingly anyway, and then trying to scrape up a decent 2nd unit with the remaining players.

Start Jennings, Pope, Smith, Monroe, Drummond.

2nd unit: Billups, Singler, Datome, Mitchell.

With of course, Monroe and Drummond taking turns playing with the 2nd unit. However, if we pick up a decent center who can play a few minutes, it would be nice.

We could play the two units about a 34 / 14 split. Whoever the extra center is though, would probably have to play more like 20 minutes until Drummond gets into better shape.

2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Defense is definitely more difficult to measure. My personal opinion is that Bynum is a weak defender, but does have certain defensive qualities that could make him effective if he has enough help behind him (i.e. he's quick, strong, and pesky). If he can harass his man, you'd think that he could get some steals. He's obviously toast in the post... but that doesn't happen that often. He doesn't have length to bother shooters. He does have very fast feet and could potentially stay in front of PG's better than average.

Going on stats alone, I'd look at:

- Synergy (breakouts of how he performed in various situations)
    - on court team defense per x minutes vs what the team allowed with him on the bench
    - Drating (just because it's there) vs other guards on our team
    - Defensive win shares per minute vs other guards on our team
    - box score: steals per minute (weak correlation to D, but some there)

Don't have time to research right now, but I would think that those data points would show that he's a worse defender than average.

3. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Bynum is a horrible defender. Jennings is a horrible defender. Billups is old and slow.

Siva is the only quality defender we have at the 1 spot.