Rotations

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Lee356, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

A rotation need not be made up by the best players available on the team, but rather by the skill sets needed.

Someone has to play defense. Someone has to shoot from the outside. Someone needs to gather in the rebounds. Someone has to bring the ball up the floor. Someone needs to control the play, holding the ball until the appropriate moment and hitting someone with a pass to trigger the play. This same person is probably needed to direct his teammates as to what they should be doing. Someone has to be an inside threat, preferrably drawing the attention of as many defenders as possible.

Within the subject of defense, someone has to play really good interior defense, while someone has to play really good perimeter defense. Somebody has to be capable of stopping dribble penetration by the opposing point.

You need a couple of guys really good at moving without the ball. You need guys who can set picks. You need guys that no how to block out in rebounding situations. Someone needs to be able to assist the point guard in feeding the post, as often a 2nd angle is needed as the other team blocks the first angle.

A quarterback for the defense is quite helpful. A guy who can penetrate to the basket and draw fouls is great to have. Fast players who can fast break are great. Guards who know how to run the fast break of course are needed too. So are quick defenders who can get back quickly to defend the fast break.

Finally, a lot of this stuff is related. The better your interior defenders, the less a problem dribble penetration is by the opposing point guard. If your defensive rebounding is really solid, letting the other team shoot a lot of outside shots might not be such a bad idea. If you have a really quick team out there, then you can probably get back on transition defense pretty well so it does not matter quite so much if your offense is perfectly organized by a good point guard. Just jack the ball up knowing you can get back just fine in the case of long rebounds.

With all the above in mind, here is a rotation the Pistons could possibly end up using, starting unit followed by sub unit:

Billups, Rip, Tay, Ben, Sheed.

Arroyo, Acker, Delfino, Dyess, Darko.

As our starters now are about pretty much the undisputed best starters in the league, I guess I will skip explaining them.

Now, the 2nd unit. Arroyo is the guy who sets up the plays. Delfino and Arroyo can take turns bringing the ball up, although us fans will soon see its Delfino who will entertain us the most by bringing the ball up the floor with a mission in mind. These two will manage to feed the post, along with Acker.

Rebounding will be in pretty good hands when you add in Acker getting plenty of rebounds from the guard position. Picks is Darko and Dyess. Quick players with some size. Interior defense not bad at all. Delfino adds his 230 pound body to that cause. Outside shooting is Arroyo and Delfino. Not bad. Arroyo will mostly shoot inside the arc. And Acker has range and Dyess can hit the midranger quite well. Darko might get his shot down with some playing time, and if so he can hit with good range. Driving to the basket and drawing fouls will be Delfino and Acker.

Running the fast break will be a strength of this unit. Delfino can really bring it up and Arroyo is quite the passer. Acker has speed too as does Darko for a center. Dyess is not slow either.

For defending fast breaks, you got Darko who is going to beat their bigs down there, and Acker.

Inside threat is covered pretty well with Dyess and Darko.

Moving without the ball. Could be a problem with a lot of inexperienced players. However, with a couple of very good ball handlers in Arroyo and Delfino, when someone does move well without the ball they will probably get rewarded with a nifty pass for an easy score. In the long run, should not be a problem with this group.

Blocking out. Again, some inexperience. Will have to see how that goes.

stopping opposing guard from dribble penetration. I have not watched Acker enough to know how good he will be at doing this. He is quick and tall but that does not alway do the trick. He is also a very slight build type of player. Interior defense should not be too bad though for a second wave of defense if the perimeter defense fails.
  2. LA Sam

LA Sam Second Round Draft Pick

Lineup

Lee, I like that lineup, but it probably won't work well early in the season. Acker & Darko are two large question marks until they get a lot more PT.

But I like the speed in that lineup, and I'm willing to bet that the bench guys will be dying to get into the lineup with Arroyo in it. Even though Delfino is no slouch dishing the rock either.
  3. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

Lineups

Nobody is gonna dispute that starting five lee.....It's pretty much set barring some, God-forbid, injury.....

The 2nd five is still subject though. Yes, Acker and Darko are question marks at best. Acker's preseason showing may not be as strong when he rolls with the big guys. But I'm hoping it is just as good.

I'm expecting him to challenge Arroyo at point while Hunter could be insurance should we need a defensive presence there. So Arroyo, Acker, Hunter. Delfino, in my opinion, should be at shooting guard spelling Rip while Evans gets his chance at SF.

So it could be Arroyo, Delfino, Evans, Dyess, Darko.:eyebrows:
  4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

hi

Bricalz, your 2nd unit is almost identical to mine if you rewrite your unit like this:

Arroyo, Evans, Delfino, Dyess, Darko

Here the only difference is one 6-5 guy vs. another. Both Evans and Acker are 6-5. Both are athletic. The difference is the weight. Evans is 35 pounds heavier.

But Evans is still 10 pounds lighter than Delfino, so I see him chasing shooting guards around before Delfino. On offense, the roles would reverse, with Delfino being a guard and Evans becoming a small forward.

Why do I suggest Acker, an unproven player, be part of our rotation over Evans who at least has one year under his belt? Acker has the speed and quickness to guard point guards. This makes, in my opinion, the Arroyo and Acker backcourt more capable defensively.

In any case, I love defense. And I really love defense from players who can go down the other end and contribute to the offense as well. Both Evans and Acker I believe fit this description, so I am hoping that both become part of the rotation.

So, regardless of which one is our backup shooting guard (or backup small forward maybe for Evans) the other could be our 11th man. And the 12th would be Dale Davis.

The drawback here is leaving Amir Johnson and Jason Maxiell out of the equation. What I don't know, and I don't think anyone else knows either at the moment, is what the status of the 13th and 14th guys is going to be. Will they go to the NBDL? Will they be on the active roster?

One scenario I have heard is that you can carry 14 guys on your active roster but that you can only designate 12 of them as eligible for any particular game. This would be great. If we play Indiana we have Jason Maxiell to guard him. If the coach wants to give Amir Johnson a taste of playing time then he simply leaves Dale Davis ineligible for a game here and there.

But maybe the NBDL thing will not happen this year, and maybe nothing will change from last season. Even then, you can rotate people off the IL to give them some playing time.

Probably the best option (but maybe not) is to have the extra two guys be playing in the NBDL for us gaining experience there. Now, when this is in place, you can carry 14 guys, but two of them would be in the NBDL. So in effect, you have a 12 man roster.

But the rules allow you to send down a player to the NBDL 3 times over the course of his first two years in the league (regardless of age). So you still can do some rotating of players up to the big time for some real NBA experience. Just on a limited basis though. This season, Delfino, along with our three rookies, would be eligible to go down to the NBDL.

Or maybe we could have a 13 man roster with 1 rookie at a time going down to the NBDL. And each night 12 are eligible to play.

This about exhausts the possibly ways this season will go. Anyone that knows a different possibility please let me know.

For now, I will just look at 12 man rotations, as I am guessing that regardless of what happens in the regular season, we go down to 12 guys for a playoff roster no different from last year.
  5. puertoricanballer

puertoricanballer First Round Draft Pick

Lee 356

Hi pal. I like your rotations as well. I also noticed a change on your position of playing Acker as PG over Arroyo. Good for you. I think, however, that even when Delfino starts the fastbreak, the ball should go to Arroyo. He's the one of the most creative and accurate PG on the open floor.
  6. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

hi

PR Baller, you got to remember that I post hundreds of rotations over the offseason. Not one of them is really meant as a suggestion. They are only to discuss the strengths and weaknesses of each one. Arroyo might be out of the next one I write. It means nothing. I do hope that Arroyo is our backup point guard this upcoming season, but I will continue to explore all possibilities. Its a long offseason.
  7. max

max All-Star

What we know

We know Dyess and Arroyo will play. Thats 7. Thats a 3rd guard and a 3rd front court guy.

We know Prince will have a backup with either Evans or Delfino and that player will also backup Rip sometimes. Thats 8.

We know Darko will be given the opportunity to be the 4th big thats 9.

Whats the role for DAvis? Insurance policy for Darko or will he play in a deeper bench scheme stretched out to 10? If thats the case where do you find mins for all?

So many questions with the bench this season. Looks like Dumars is not taking any chances by doubling up at every position.

One thing I am sure of Acker and Johnson will ride the pine.
  8. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

some thoughts

I think Johnson will be in the NBDL this season. Acker will be given a chance to make the club, but having Johnson, who is straight out of high school riding the bench all season will do nothing for his development.

Although I'm sure he would get some benefit from practicing with guys like Wallace x2, Dice and Davis, I think that he would be better served playing big minutes in the NBDL.

Maxiel would be better suited, in my opinion, to learn from the bigs this year. With Darko still inexperienced, I just think thats too many bigs to develop in one year. Similar to down sizing the classrooms to provide more individual attention for the students.
  9. JustinSane

JustinSane Second Round Draft Pick

I apologize in advance for the length of this!

I believe that an effective line-up requires the following three things:
    1. Interior defense (including rebounding)
    2. A set up man to initiate the offense
    3. At least two viable scorers

You can get away with one good scorer if none of the players on the court are offensive liabilities. I think that there are 4 more things a line-up should have to be truly balanced, but are less important than the big three.

4. Perimeter defense
    5. Post offense (this is not just for the scoring. A post scorer does great things for everyone else and loosens up defenses)
    6. Three point shooting
    7. At least one good passer in addition to the set-up man

Ok, so how to come up with line-ups based on that criteria? I think the best way is to break down which roles each player on the team can fill.

Billups 2,3,4,6
    Hamilton 3,4,7 and maybe 6
    Prince 1,3,4,5,6,7
    R. Wallace 1,3,5,6,7
    B. Wallace 1 (but man is he good at it!)
    The starters are wonderfully balanced and guaranteed to play heavy minutes.

McDyess 1,3,5
    Arroyo 2
    These are probably going to be the primary reserves. I'd guess they will each get about twice as much time as any of the other reserves.

Evans 4
    Milicic 1,7 and hopefully 3 and 5
    Davis 1
    Delfino 6,7 and hopefully 3
    Hunter 4

I'm guessing this will be the playoff roster. Delfino could be replaced by Acker or Dupree if he continues to pout and potentially Acker might bump Hunter. If Maxiell is too good to leave off, they may overload the front court and drop Delfino or Hunter to make room for it.

So a good line up should have at least two post defenders (1's), one set up man (2's), and two scorers (3's). Ideally it would also have most or all of the following: 2 perimeter defenders (4's), at least 1 post-up offensive player (5's), at least one three point shooter (6's) and at least one addition good passer (7's). Obviously, not all of the players are equally good at filling the jobs they can do. McDyess plays post defense and Ben plays post defense, but McDyess is no Ben Wallace. Which players fill the needed roles will depend largely on whether a 7,8,9 or 10 man rotation is being used. I'll suggest a line-up for each:

7 man rotation
    1. Arroyo (2)
    2. Billups or Hamilton (3,4,6,7)
    3. Prince or Hamilton (3,4,6,7)
    4. McDyess (1,3,5)
    5. either Wallace (1, possibly 3, 5 and 7 if R. Wallace)

8 man rotation
    1. Arroyo (2)
    3. Evans or Delfino either (4) for Evans or (6,7) for Delfino
    4. McDyess (1,3,5)
    5. either Wallace (1, possibly 3, 5 and 7 if R. Wallace)

9 man rotation (and my personal favorite)
    1. Arroyo (2)
    3. Evans or Delfino (4) for Evans, (6,7) for Delfino
    4. McDyess (1,3,5)
    5. Milicic (1,7 hopefully 3 and 5)
    This rotation would have excellent passing, good scorers and good defense. It also gets playing time for Darko in an enviroment where he would be able to concentrate on his strengths (defense, passing) and take what comes his way on offense rather than having to look for his shot, which could ease him into the flow of regular NBA play.

10 man rotation

1. Arroyo (2)
    2. Evans (4)
    3. Delfino (6,7)
    4. McDyess (1,3,5)
    5. Milicic (1,7 hopefully 3 and 5)
    Note that this 10 man rotation bench line-up is weak on perimeter defense. It should have excellent passing however. The advantage here is that it uses both Delfino and Evans rather than choosing only one of them to get playing time. If Acker is as good as some think he could be (personally I don't know enough to know, but I don't think counting on a second round draft choice is a good idea without more evidence than we have) he could replace Delfino or perhaps Evans.
  10. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

hi

jammertime, a rotation can simply have built into it time for developing players. You can have your starters play the whole first and third quarters along with the last 6 minutes of the game, your 2nd unit play the first 6 minutes of the 3rd and 4th quarters, and then still have the 2nd half of the 2nd quarter to do a lot of development stuff.

Now, for the Pistons, Darko might both be in the rotation as the backup center and also get development time all at once. But this is not for sure. Dale Davis might get 12 minutes every game as the chief backup center while Darko just gets that 6 minute shift at the end of the 2nd quarter.

Lets look at Darko's minutes so far. About 400 in two years. If he plays 6 minutes per game this year, thats 492 minues. Not much. To that you add in about 150 minutes of garbage time and thats 642 minutes, about three times the rate he accumulated minutes during his first two seasons. Probably still not quite enough though. So, occasionally, about every 4th game, you let Dale Davis sit it out. We have 20 back to backs so there you have it; just don't play Dale Davis on both ends of a back to back to help keep him fresh for the playoffs. No way he is going to get rusty missing a game when he plays just the night before (or after) anyway.

Ok, so thats 20 times 12 or 240 more minutes for Darko added to the 642 above. Now thats 882 minutes. Add to this the occasional injury and assume Darko will get an additional 200 minutes from playing for Ben, Dyess, Sheed, Davis, when they sit for whatever injuries they might have. Now you are up to 1082 minutes, or about 5 times the rate he was accumulating minutes during his first two season.

So thats one player getting developed. And you still have 82 x 4 x 6 = 1968 player minutes available over the course of a season from the other 4 slots along with Darko in the last half of the 2nd quarter.

But of course you have to have these guys on the roster for them to play. Lets assume we really can carry 14 guys on the roster. But you can still only have 12 eligible for any one night. Its simply impossible to have five players all together in that 2nd half of the 2nd quarter all getting development time. Not with 10 guys already in as part of the starting and 2nd units. You could only have 2. I am guessing Darko and Maxiell maybe as those two guys who always are on the eligible list every night.

We covered Darko, now how about Maxiell. Lets say he just plays the 6 minutes per game plus some garbage time. 642 minutes. Ok, now you whoever is your backup small forward, say Mo Evans, and your backup shooting guard, say Delfino, you have each of these guys sit on the ineligble list 10 times. Now Maxiell plays about 882 minutes in the season. As far as injuries, other people cover those, so we just leave Maxiell at 882 minutes.

Just to set where we are so far. Starters are CB, Rip, Tay, Ben, Sheed, each getting 30 minutes of playing time combined from the 1st, 3rd, and last half of the 4th quarter. None of the development time is affecting their minutes.

The 2nd unit, Arroyo, Delfino, Evans, Dyess, and Davis each are getting 12 minutes per game combined with 6 minutes in each of the 2nd and 4th quarters. In the 2nd half of the 2nd quarter, there are only two players, Darko and Maxiell, designated as players being developed that are playing. So there are 3 x 6 x 82 minutes left to divide up yet. How about Arroyo, Delfino and Dyess getting all those minutes, so each gets 18 minutes per game. Delfino would play 72 games, while Arroyo and Dyess would play all 82.

Acker and Amir Johnson hopefully are in the development league. Maxiell and Darko are getting valuable NBA experience.

There would be three basic units. Starters, 2nd unit already covered. And then a unit of Arroyo, Delfino, Maxiell, Dyess, and Darko playing the 2nd half of the 2nd quarter.

Also, in ten games with Mo Evans sitting out, there would be a 2nd unit of Arroyo, Delfino, Maxiell, Dyess, Davis.

Also, in the ten games with Delfino sitting out, there would be a 2nd unit of Arroyo, Mo Evans, Maxiell, Dyess, Davis.

And finally, in the 20 games Davis sits out, you would have a 2nd unit of either Arroyo, Mo Evans, Maxiell, Dyess, Darko or Arroyo, Delfino, Maxiell, Dyess, Darko or Arroyo, Delfino, Mo Evans, Dyess, Darko.

Any time Amir Johnson or Acker got from this point would either cut into the playing time of the starters, the 2nd unit, or the development time for Darko. But you could still give each player 400 minutes during the season in meaningful minutes by simply cutting out 10 minutes total from the other players each game. Which is just one minute per player on average. Those times Davis, Delfino or Evans are left inactive, one of these other two rookies are activated for that night. Thats 40 player games, or the opportunity to activate Acker and Amir Johnson for 20 games each during the regular season.

But that is not enough, as you would have to play each of these guys 20 minutes each time they played to give them 400 minutes. Too much. Now, you have 10 players who play every night. If a rash of injuries occur, you have more time to play the rookies. But what if everyone is healthy. So what, no excuse. Keep each of the 10 guys out of 5 games per season, five of the back to backs. And add in 2 games at the end of the season that end up being meaningless. Now you are up to about about 90 player games, plus a couple of games where Acker and Amir can play some serious minutes.

Now, the two rooks would just have play for about 8 minutes each time they are activated to get 400 minutes per season. As both Acker and Amir Johnson are very versatile players, and they don't overlap in the positions they can play, its just a matter of a whole lot of players losing a shift here and a shift there to these guys. Acker could take some minutes from each of the following: CB, Arroyo, Rip, Delfino, Mo Evans. So about 80 minutes from each for the season. Which amounts like I said to just a minute per game from them.

Amir Johnson could likewise take 80 minutes each for the season from Ben, Dale Davis, Dyess, Sheed, Darko. About a minute each from each player per game on average.

Getting down to the details. For Amir Johnson to take 80 minutes from Ben, first, those two meaningless games at the end of the season. Right there, Ben sits those and Amir Johnson plays the whole 60 minutes Ben would have played. Then Amir plays some minutes, about 4 each time, in the 5 games Ben sits out thruout the season on back to back sets. Done.

The 80 minutes Amir Johnson gets from Dyess are primarily during the five games Dyess sits on back to backs. Same with Sheed. For Dale Davis, he loses a minute or two to Amir Johnson all season long and it just adds up.

Ok, this post is long enough. Basically, a rotation can have built into it a lot of development time. Planning is the key. We have room to give two young guys around a thousand minutes each and two others 400 minutes each without depriving anyone of the minutes they need to stay sharp over the course of the season.

I believe it does not take that many minutes for a rookie to get the experience he needs to make his practice between games more productive. Playing the games keeps the focus on exactly what the player needs to learn. Just 400 minutes a season, mostly in a bunch of 6 to 8 minute shifts, in about half the games, is substantial. I am not talking about garbage time minutes here. 400 meaningful minutes. Garbage time, you keep your 2nd unit out there to increase their conditioning level.
  11. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

you forgot the chauncey is our best post up player. he absolutely destroys pretty much all pg's except baron davis in the post.

also i don't think every lineup has to be great at everything or balanced one way or the other. this year our second unit will be very powerful offensively. this can work for us some nights and other nights we will have to have some starters play with the second unit to provide that balance. good post though well thought out rotations.
  12. bricalz

Lineups

Yeah lee, that's why I never really countered your lineup coz my lineup is almost like yours and that's how I see the Pistons' state right now.

Anyway, I chose Evans coz I want him to keep developing his game from last year with the spark he showed in Sacto. He could blow up this year and if he does, watch out for sixth man of the year. That might be a stretch but hoping though.

Arroyo will definitely get to play but I believe Acker will get all the opportunity to fight for a spot on the roster and for playing time. I don't really know where Jmax fits in. He'd probably be slotted in for minutes at the 3 coz it looks like the front court is stacked. Sometimes the lineup on the floor could be Arroyo, Delfino, Jmax, Darko, Dyess. Or maybe Arroyo, Evans at 1-2. :eyebrows:
  13. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

hi

bballjay, our rotations have to both work in general and work against the playoff teams we encounter. So whats best is never the same from year to year. You got to look at what your team has, how all those skills can fit together, and which ones are most important for getting past the teams you are likely to encounter in the playoffs.

bricalz, you know I will be rooting for Mo Evans big time. A guy who can defend is priceless but you add in some ability on the offensive end and its just that much more sweet. Now, I will be cheering on Delfino and Acker too. I want to see a fair fight for the minutes and in the end what maximized our chances to win some championships. Each of these players potentially has skill sets that can make us win. First and foremost, I want to see the Pistons win. Going to fun to watch how all this sorts itself out.

To both of you, as the season goes on, its these skill sets I will be watching for. Can Evans guard point guards at all. Can Evans handle the ball, move without the ball. Can Delfino defend better now with hopefully a healthy knee. Will Arroyo's defense improve. How good a shot is Arroyo going to be with a bit more ops to shoot. Just how dangerous is Delfino going inside. I'll be looking at all these things and adjust my rotations postings from there.
  14. max

max All-Star

lineup

Only problem with Evans is his height at 6'5". May have problems at the 3. Looking at his career stats it looks like he was used mainly as a backup SG.

What about Evans being used mainly as a 4th guard and some backup SF ( depending on the matchups ) and going big at backup SF with Sheed, Dyess and Darko playing there?

That way we can integrate both Darko and Davis with a big front line. Remember Sheed played some SF at Portland.

backups ( in order of mins ). Arroyo, Dyess, Darko, Evans, Davis.

Thats going 10-deep which is very liberal for coaches these days.

I would guess Delfino can be given a shot at Evans spot in the pre-season.
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Development of Johnson

I agree that he is a little too raw, despite his showing in the SL. He's the odd man out this season.

He needs more than natural talent to compete against NBA vets.
  16. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Amir Johnson

This seems logical. However, its simply not true. Amir Johnson is more ready than Darko to play in the NBA. And I believe Darko is quite ready. That Amir Johnson is ready to contribute to the Pistons is not just my opinion. The announcer for the summer league games worked Amir Johnson for a few weeks around draft time. This is his opinion. I just agree.

I watched a couple of summer league games, about 8 times mind you, and one time thru I just isolated everything Amir Johnson did. What I found is a player who never for a moment is at a loss for what to do next. You just would never guess for a moment that Amir Johnson was fresh from highschool. Just no sign of it at all.

On rebounding situations, he is not a rookie that wonders where to be, he has shot around the defense and gotten to the board and collected the rebound. Did I say collect it? Not exactly. What he did with the rebound is slam it back in.

You give him the ball. Does he hold it wondering what to do. Nope. He either puts a move on and scores or sees he is checked and smartly passes off. His 8-9 game was from just this kind of quick decision making. He just does not take bad shots.

So maybe you figure he can't handle the ball? For his size, he moves with that ball pretty darn good. Amir Johnson only shoots from the foul line in. If you give him the ball outside that area, he will smartly dribble to withing the foul line, throw a fake or two if needed to shake the defenders, and swish a shot. Nothing but smooth.

And "right out of highschool" leads one to believe Amir Johnson is a slight of build guy easily pushed around. Well, as a power forward this may be true. And if you believe the 6-9, 210 listing from ove a year ago, you might wonder how a highschool kid could do at small forward even. But Amir was last measured at 6-10, 220 and is continuing to grow. As a small forward, he has all the size needed easily.

Further, rather than having a body type like Tay, not prone to get big, Amir Johnson is projected to play center someday. He has a big wide frame, that while not yet filled out, is getting closer day by day.

Now, to give you a few more things about what Amir Johnson can add to a rotation as far as skill. 1)Rebounding. With his quickness and height, combined with being the most athletic player taken in this years draft (again, other people's opinion, not mine.) and what appears to be flawless timing, he has the potential to equal or even surpass Dennis Rodman as a rebounder.

Next, scoring. Amir Johnson can jump out of the gym. And he can nail every shot he takes inside the free throw line. He can fake you out of your shorts too to get that shot off. His post up moves are raw but very effective just do to his quicks and ups. He can score.

On defense, despite all the above, Amir Johnson's main rep is as a shot blocker.

So why would I want to see Amir Johnson end up as our starting small forward? Just use your imagination. CB, Tay, Amir Johnson, Ben, Sheed. We get all, every one, no exceptions, every rebound in site. Last I checked, if the other team can't get the ball, they can't score.
  17. bricalz

Amir

Yes, Pistons always come first man.........

Anyway, yeah Amir, as I saw it has tremendous potential and like Lee said is just as NBA ready as Darko or if not even more ready. The times I've seen Darko play, it just wasn't all out, so I wouldn't know what Darko really has except the flashes of quickness, agility and an outside shot.

So mostly, I'd also like Amir to succeed and maybe throw it back in the NBA's face that he was taken so late in the draft. Another guy with a chip on the shoulder for our team. :eyebrows:
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Amir

I hope you're right. It is obvious that he has the ability. I just have a feeling that they are not going to find the time for him. How many new players can a team possibly develop at the same time and still win the division? I would say 2.5 (Darko, Maxiell, and Ack...).
  19. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

hi

How many players you can develop at one time and still win to a large extent depends on how good those players are.

Other than that, there is also the fact that at the end of the season your team must know how to play together, and each guy who is going to be on the playoff roster needs to have had enough playing time to be ready to play close to possible to their best.

Guys signed to long term contracts probably don't care about padding their stats, so if the rookies are really good, they might end up playing a whole lot.

Meanwhile, there is this thing called competition. Maxiell could just simply beat out Mo Evans for playing time. Or Acker could as far as his shooting guard minutes. Or Amir Johnson at small forward.

Dale Davis has signed on to win a championship, knowing that he is not to complain about a reduced role. If Darko plays well enough, you might see precious little of Dale Davis until toward the playoffs.

Right now, we do not know how all this is going to go. But again, it sure is going to fun to find out.
  20. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Tay at point

Inspired by a post from a different thread.

Ok, lets say Maxiell is so good, he just ends up taking the starting job at small forward. Farfetched. Maybe. Maybe not. But lets say Maxiell is so good at scoring at small forward against the other much tinier small forwards of the league, while his defense turns out to be perfectly adequate with all that reach he has, that it just makes sense to start the guy. Yes, sounds far fetched, but so did Ben Wallace becoming a dominant starting player back when he played for Orlando. Way to short. No offense. Well, Maxiell is way too short, but has an offense that will astound a lot of people shortly.

So, starters are CB, Rip, Maxiell, Ben, Sheed.

2nd unit is Prince, Delfino, Amir Johnson, Dyess, Darko.

Prince also backs up Rip and Maxiell up to an extent and gets about 26 mintues a game. CB plays 30 minutes at point, while Prince gets the other 18, plus 4 minutes each at small forward and shooting guard.

This covers Point guard thru small forward. Mo Evans and Carlos Arroyo, as well as Alex Acker are left out. Lot to leave out. Mo Evans and Acker though would be kept around as defensive specialist, while we package Dale Davis and Carlos Arrroyo and either Ben or Sheed together to get Garnett. Got to do something with the extra players.