Rotations

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Lee356, Sep 10, 2005.

1. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Rip off the bench man. He can sub in at all 3 perimeter position depending on who is struggling.

Starters:
    PG: Stuckey
    SG: AI
    SF: Tayshaun
    PF: Amir
    C: Sheed

Rotation 1: (If Stuckey is struggling)
    PG: AI/Bynum (depends if AI needs a rest)
    SG: Rip
    SF: Tay/Herman (depends if Tay needs a rest)
    PF: Amir/J Max/Dice (depends if Amir needs a rest. also depends on if the Pistons need more energy or more poise)
    C: Sheed/Kwame/Dice (depends if Sheed needs a rest. also depends on if Pistons need more size or more skills.

Rotation 2: (if AI is struggling)
    Same as Rotation 1 except Stuckey is at Point Guard

Rotation 3: (if Tay is struggling)
    Same as original starters except Rip/Herman subs in. If we need more scoring/leadership we go to Rip. If we need a mix up or more size we go to Herman at SF.
  2. max

max All-Star

Another good one from Himat.

Seems like if Stucky is to start ( which I think is a great idea ) then one of the 3 - AI, Tay or Rip is going to have to come off the bench. Someone has been red-hot the past 2 games to start which has been giving a false sense of success with the small ball but when they go back to it later in the game its not working anymore. Its also not lineup that you want out there in crunch time most games.
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If we're really hell bent on playing small ball, then why not do it with the 2nd unit? Then we can play Afflalo at the 3. He can for sure guard the other team's backup SF.

AI, Tay, and Rip can play 40+ minutes if they are rolling.

The Symetric System

Start:
    Stuck
    AI
    Tay
    Amir
    Sheed

Backup with:
    Bynum
    Rip
    Afflalo
    Maxiell
    Dyess

Both units have PG's that like to penetrate. Both have volume shooting 2 guards. Both have great defenders at the 3. Both have young, athletic board crashers and opportunistic scorers at the 4. Both have experienced centers who can box out and stretch the other team's defense.

Kwame can be the center in either unit if we are going against certain teams. If so, then slide Sheed or Dyess to the 4. If Kwame starts, then slide Amir to the bench unit and sit out Maxiell. If Kwame joins the backups, then sit out Maxiell.

If AI is rolling and you don't want to take him out, then let him play the point with the 2nd unit and sit out Bynum.

No real small ball, just AA at the 3. All problems would be solved... except that Rip's feelings would be hurt most probably.
  4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I think this would work about as good as anything would. I would more evenly split Dyess' and Kwame's time though, keeping them both involved. And AI, no more than 34 minutes per game, at least until after the regular season. PS, I like his comment tonight about not wanting to rock the boat about playing time. Good attitude.
  5. max

max All-Star

Starters: Bynum at PG, AI at SG, Stucky is a point forward, AA at PF and Prince at Center.
  6. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

No, Prince is too tall to play center. I think we should put Rip there, with AI, Bynum, and Stuckey as the guards. Afflalo for the power forward. Now, if you can, please move this to the mostly joking thread. Thanks.
  7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Now that is funny.
  8. raxrets

raxrets Starter

Kwame Brown has shown (TWICE!) that he can put ball on the floor and penetrate. Therefore he can play PG in small lineup and so compensate its smallness.
  9. max

max All-Star

You madd scientist. Curry may be giving you a call.
  10. himat

himat Bench Warmer

People are questioning Stuckey's ability to overtake the PG spot after Chauncey's success here. There is no way Bynum is ready to overtake that spot. He can be a solid contributor off the bench.

We have 12 guys that would play significant minutes if they were on different teams. We have to make use of that. Unless its a big game and its close all the way through out no one should be playing 40+ minutes anymore.

PG: Stuckey, Bynum
    SG: AI, Rip, Afflalo
    SF: Tayshaun, Herman
    PF: Dice, Amir, Maxiel
    C: Sheed, Kwame

All those guys can contribute.
  11. Bustamove

Bustamove Second Round Draft Pick

Start:

PG - Stuckey
    SG - RIP
    SF - Tay
    PF - Sheed
    C - Kwame

Subs:

PG - Bynum
    SG - AI
    SF - Afflalo
    PF - Max/Amir
    C - Dice

IMO, Kwame should start with limited minutes. Do we really need a scoring C? I think he does the little things pretty well. He likes to set screens, play good D and bang with the opposing centers, which keeps Sheed fresh for the fourth. With Stuckey, RIP, Sheed and Tay, we have enough scoring options. You keep him on the pine, and he will not mesh with the unit when needed. This way, it will give the starting line-up some continuity, and keep him active for the playoffs. Small ball will not cut it in the playoffs. Plus, I thought we brought him in to bang with Perkins, Z, and Howard? If we are rebuilding, then we should play Amir and Max, period.

AI as the sixth man is only right at this point. We don't need a volume shooter in the starting line-up, and he is a liability on defense. With the second unit, he can put up points without affecting RIP, Sheed and Tay. Also, the second unit tends to be more up-tempo, which fits in better with AI. Plus, he is not part of the future for this team. We all know that AI is/was a great player, but his style of play has not yielded a championship for whatever reason.

I like this team overall. I think, we are deep and can make some noise in the playoffs. We need continuity, and for everyone to understand their role. Will AI or RIP accept coming off the bench? Perhaps, not. However, Manu did it for the Spurs without any problems. Jason Terry did it for the Mavs. Lamar finally resigned to be a sixth man, and I am sure there are others... Can MC pull it off? Or is he just resigned to play small ball with the stars?
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Any rotation similar to this seems to make sense.

But the main problem with it is that it would force MC to either bench Rip or AI. I still think this small ball junk only exists because he is afraid to deal with the consequences of a decision like that.
  13. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

You want Kwame to start? Let him start:

Stuckey, AI, Afflalo, Amir, Kwame.

2nd unit is:

Bynum, Rip, Tay, JMAX, Sheed.

Dyess is the 11th man, stepping in for foul trouble, or if we are facing a team with some big power forwards or centers.

What I like about the starting unit: You got a post up center in the game, willing to post up, a power forward who likes to post up, and 3 guys out there who can actually get the ball in the post.

If Kwame is not trying to score from the post, you got AI and Stuckey driving the ball to the rack, and you got Amir cleaning up the offensive glass.

And you got a glue guy like Afflalo, who can do a bit of everything.

The 2nd unit, for the most part has played together and should do great. Especially against other team's 2nd unit.
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Here's a creative way for MC to figure out who the best players are while also benching either AI or Rip.

At practice, set up a scrimmage. AI and Rip are captains. Let them choose their own teams. Play 1 quarter of real NBA basketball for the right to start. Hire refs to officiate the scrimmage.

You'll be left with 2 semi equal units, so there shouldn't be a big drop off when the bench comes in.

At the next practice, AI and Rip will know what went wrong the last time and they'll vary their picks accordingly. Whoever doesn't get picked will probably deserve it.

At the end of the day, either Rip or AI will come off the bench and they won't be able to blame anyone but themselves. If you don't show up to practice, then you can bet that you weren't on the winning team.
  15. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

If it's all about the starters' ego and MC has no guts messing with them, then start them but sub after the 8 min mark. AI, 1st to the bench. When Rip and Stuck sits after the 1st quarter ends, AI and Affallo comes in to start the 2nd. Let AI play the entire 2nd quarter and Stuck/ Rip comes back in with 4 min left at the half. Bynum, situational player. That's the backcourt.

When AI goes to the bench in the 1st quarter, Amir comes in. Or KB comes in when playing against bigger centers. Sheed should take some rest after 8 minutes in the 1st. Comes back in with 6 min left at the half. Dice subs in for Sheed and Max/ Affallo/ Amir for Tay. Hermann, situational player.

AI has to finish the game if there is no GT. This is the time where players like him get 'superstar' calls and other opponents starts to get tired. Need to keep AI fresh before this though. He should be the 'Philly AI' during the last 2 minutes of such games.

Just my thoughts.
  16. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

It is a good observation that we can get many different logical units by subbing a big into our starting rotation for one of our guards.

However, it makes more sense to never, ever, start a game with no power forward. Curry keeps talking about how well this unit will do on offense, but it hurts our defense. It will never work in a playoff series.
  17. max

max All-Star

I have been very impressed with Amir the past 2 games. So I think we should stick with him in the starting line and see if someones ego can handle comming off the bench.

Starter: Stucky, AI, Tay, Sheed, Amir.
    Subs: Rip, Dyess, Maxiel, Afflalo, Kwame.

Thats about as deep as I would go with Kwame getting mins every game just to stay fresh and playing more when needed. I don't think you can ice him for several games in a row and expect him to play on demand when a big lineup comes to town so I would like to see him get a couple of mins every game.

Rip is the most logical choice to come off the bench and he can still play over 30 MPG off the bench. But if he does have a problem with it then I am sure Tay would be fine with it and it would only mean that we would start off being more offensivly focused rather than defensive.
  18. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Rip can spell Tay at SF as well in an effort to prevent him from becoming leg dead.
  19. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You're just stirring the pot for Anti-Small Ball Movement (ASBM).:stirthepot:
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

But can he spell Alfflallo?