Rotations

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Lee356, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

I just don't see why Rip is the "logical" choice to come off the bench?? He is the one that relies the most on his teammates to be effective??? Why would you put him with the younger players?
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't usually like to do this, but I have to admit, that was a good post. :eyebrows:
  3. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Now you are coming around my territory. Either bench Tay or trade him. I prefer the latter.
  4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Speaking of Afflalo. Very few ever attempt spelling his first name, Arron.

Anyway, I see Curry still has not managed to stumble on our best front line, Amir, JMAX, Sheed.

So here is a rotation, designed just to give Tay a break from playing so many minutes, right now.

Start: AI, Stuck, Amir, JMAX, Sheed.

Bring Tay in for AI, and Kwame in for Sheed, at the 5 minute Mark of the first quarter.

That gives a unit of) Stuck, Tay, Amir, JMAX, Kwame.

Now, with Tay recovering some leg strength, he can be the one to open up the middle with outside shooting for this unit. And if they do cover him, he takes his man, a lowly shooting guard way shorter than him, right to the hoop.

To open the 2nd) AI, Afflalo, Tay, JMAX, Sheed.

Dyess subs in for Sheed for the last five minutes of the 2nd, unless of course Kwame is more appropriate - like if the guy Dyess would be guarding is just too tall and big for him to guard. Amir plays the end of the 2nd, sitting Tay. Remember, this is all about resting Tay. Stuckey comes in for JMAX.

The unit to end the half) Stuckey, AI, Afflalo, Amir, Dyess

Note. JMAX plays one very long stretch here. By design. He gets better as he warms up.

Repeat in the 2nd half. Except, of course, you bring in Sheed for the last few minutes of the game (for Dyess), and Tay, (for either of Afflalo, AI, or Stuckey.)

For minutes, this is:

AI 38

Stuckey 34

Afflalo 21 (assumes Tay subs in for Arron for the last 3 minutes of the game.)

Tay 27

Amir 34

JMAX 38

Sheed 31

Kwame 10

Dyess 7

Note, in this rotation, Dyess, Sheed, and Kwame share the center position, and none of them ever plays power forward. Sheed could play some power forward, if Amir of JMAX gets in foul trouble. (or of course, if we are playing a team that plays two centers at the same time, like the Lakers.)

Also, JMAX would be worn out playing this many minutes on a regular basis. I only suggest it as a temporary solution to get Tay rested. Once Tay is rested, we can back off on Amir playing small forward minutes, and back off on JMAX's minutes.
  5. BillLaimbeer

Lee, won't Rip be back soon?
  6. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Maybe, maybe not. A torn groin muscle is a tricky thing. Could heal. Could not. At best, he will be back in a week, worst, months. That still gives us maybe at least a couple of games where we can play a somewhat normal rotation.
  7. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Start Stuck, Rip, Tay, Amir and Sheed. Use AI as the sub for Stuck and Rip. Use AA as the sub for Rip and Tay.

Trading Rip is not going to make us better then we could be if we make the adjustment to eliminate small ball and find more time for Arron at the 3 spot so Tay can stay strong all season.
  8. max

max All-Star

Difference of opinion. Rip does not necessarily need a PG to feed him anymore than Tay does. I think its one of those things where if people say it enough times then it becomes fact. Rip did quit well when CB was injured last year from what I recall. I think he was just slumping earlier this year.

Either Rip or Tay off the bench is fine. Main thing is getting away from Tay starting at PF. But no way would I trade him.
  9. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Younger players?? Dyess is old as dirt, Max might be in his 4th year, but remember he played 4 years in Cinci, he's about 26 now. Our younger players (Stuck & Amir) are starting now.

Rip is logical because Stuckey HAS to start, he's really grasped the PG position.
    Tay has to start because of his versatility and he's Curry's "coach" guy; one of those players that coaches feel super comfortable with because they are essentially extensions of the coach onto the floor. Essentially Tay is Curry's security blanket.
    AI ain't going to the bench....period, it's not even an option; no way would you bring Magic, Bird, Dr.J, Zeke, Jordan etc etc off the bench, and as far as Joe is concerned AI is in that category. Remember how dumb coach Don Chaney looked benching Zeke in favor of developing Lindsey Hunter.
    Face it, Rip is about to compete for 6th man of the year, and it's for the better of the team. Manu comes off the pine and nobody thinks he's any less of a stud.
  10. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Start: AI, Afflalo, Tay, Amir, Sheed.

2nd unit: Stuckey, Rip, Mejia, JMAX, Kwame.

Dyess does play too, just not as a primary person in the rotation.

At the same time, Bynum and Sharpe should be getting at least a few minutes per game on a rotating basis.

We should arrive to the playoffs with 11 guys pretty much fully ready to go, and two extras just in case of injury.

PS)Mejia is healthy these days and playing in Greece.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

12. BillLaimbeer

Yea, and those 26 were against Aris. Putting up 26 on Aris is like scoring 30 on Panellinois.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

:nod: You know it.

I thought I was the only Panny fan here.
  14. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

You're a Panny Fanny.
  15. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

[​IMG]

Starting five...
  16. BillLaimbeer

17. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

All owners and GM's: and still all having the first pick in the lottery. The question might be: who can now afford the tickets?
  18. max

max All-Star

Start: Stucky, AI, Prince, Amir, Kwame.
    Bench: Rip, Sheed, AA, Dyess, Maxiel.

Stucky, AI and Prince play around 32 mins. That leaves about 48 mins.
    Rip gets 30 of those and AA gets 18.

Power spots: Kwame and Amir play around 20. Dyess gets about 20 off the bench and Sheed gets around 24. That leaves 12 mins for Maxiel or someone who may be hot.

Bynum and Acker only play in blowouts and Herman is asked to leave town and never return.
  19. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I don't know if I can buy the above. Maybe if you can make that "The Country"?
  20. Menace

Menace Bench Warmer

I am starting to like this guy, lol

Chris McCosky:
    It's about Curry and the staff setting a rotation and sticking to it long enough to gain continuity and consistency. It's about finding a couple reliable bread-and-butter plays everybody is comfortable with.
    Mostly, it's about somebody stepping up late in games and saying, "OK, I got this."
    There is no question there have been mitigating circumstances. With the DNA-altering trade and the injuries, certainly some instability was expected.
    But teams with legitimate title aspirations should not be dealing with this many issues and giving away this many games, especially four games shy of the midpoint of the season.

Pistons must find finisher, and continuity | detnews.com | The Detroit News