Rotations

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Lee356, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

I would prefer to see JJ start in Max's place. That still gives you a rebounder on the second unit and a player who will not take shooting ops away from Gordon, Daye or CV.

I am O.K. with Rips minutes againt GS. He is going to have to play himself back into shape. Hopefully he will play a little less next game after giving it a good test.

I would like to see the coach be able to limit all players minutes to a maximum of 30 but I am not sure that will be possible. I do not think it was Rip's ego that was responsible for his start. We need what he brings (mid-range j) to be successful and if he waas able to go; run him.
  2. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Me too, but I think the politics ($5M contract) will keep Max starting and playing over JJ, plus we actually need Max to show the league something so we can move him and his contract.
  3. Delfino Delivers

I am afraid that Max will not be able to show the rest of the league enough for us to move him and that JJ's pt will decrease. That would be a double whammy.
  4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Start: Stuckey, Daye, Summers, JMAX, Wilcox.

Bench: Bynum, (Stuckey spelling Daye), JJ, Ben Wallace, (JMAX or Wilcox. And Summers can play more allowing JJ to play some power forward.)

This is just an 8 man rotation, but its workable. If Bynum can play 28 minutes, then Stuckey and Daye can each get 14 minutes rest. (and play 34 minutes each.)

For now, if we are in foul trouble, Atkins has to play. But we would be better served getting just about anyone else instead on a 10 day contract.

CV needs to just sit for several weeks and let the foot heal. The quicker he does that, the better for the team.

Guys like Gordon, Tay, Rip. Just get healthy. Somewhere near 100%. Then play again.
  5. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Lee I agree with the starting unit you have (Stuckey, Summers, Daye, and Wilcox) except I would have JJ in for Maxiel. Start 3 rookies. Yes, CV sit until healthy.
  6. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I am trying to minimize the pairing up of Ben Wallace and JMAX. If neither start, both would come off the bench together.

I noted in the preseason that Wilcox and JMAX played quite well together. I still want to see this given a chance in the regular season.

Since I would have JJ playing both backup small forward, and some backup power forward, he would still be playing a lot.
  7. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

JMax=showcase.
  8. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Lee, are you suggesting over-playing people? Holy cow!
  9. Delfino Delivers

It may not produce too many wins but I think we can start to prepare for the future. The rookies have seen some playing time but it seems apparent after watching the game last nite against Charlotte that they are playing like placeholders. JJ was off to a good start but seems to get tentative when the team is on a losing streak. Daye has seen some time but I think this needs to be expanded. Here is the way I see it even though it may not be very popular.

Sarting Line up
    Stuckey - PG
    Daye - SG
    JJ - SF
    Wilcox - PF
    BEN - C

Stuckey needs to know that his resposibility is to get his teammates shots; even if it is sacrificing his own. These guys have got to know we are counting on them to win games; not just hold down the fort until we get healthy. I think all the talk of ben and Tay coming back soon has gotten to these guys. It is almost like they are not preparing to play because they expect the wounded to be back any day and take their spots. Hopefully that will happen sooner then later but these guys need to prepare like the position is theirs to lose based upon their play.

Subs
    Atkins in for Stuck
    Bynum in for Daye
    Summers in for JJ
    Max in for Wilcox
    Kwame in for BEN

This will allow for Chucky to facilitate the offense and for Bynum to try and do what he wants to do anyways which is score. Summers may have a better chance of scoring the ball against the oppositions second string. I want to see what this kid has. He was our most productive summer league player and has not gotten the time to build on that. Maybe there is something we don't see but let us see it. Max will need to be a scorer out of the post or off of put backs. He needs to earn his paycheck. Kwame just needs to try and be solid on defense and try and control the boards. If he has a chance to score in the post; that is a bonus.

These line ups may not produce many wins but it will give the players the responsibility of producing and will also give us a chance to see what we have. Stuckey going 1 on 3 or 4 each game isn't producing wins and is not giving the other players an opportunity to use their skills. Let's see what this roster can do when working as a team instead of as a bunch of one-on-one players.

The reason I thought of this is because the group that closed out the game last nite was showing progress and I think the main reason they did was because they knew it was on them to finish. They weren't looking over their shoulders to see who was coming in. They felt the "resposibility" of finishing the game strong.

Let's see what happens when we give Daye the resposibility of scoring the ball, Stuck the responsibility of making his teammates better, JJ the resposibility of locking up the opposing 3 while making him work on defense, and Wilcox and BEN controlling the paint defensively and on the glass.
  10. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

The more we showcase him, the quieter Joe's Blackberry gets concerning him.

I actually like this lineup. I've had enough of Max. I'd love to see more of the rookies together with Stuckey and Wilcox, that's a lineup that is big, young and fast and not offensively inept. Althgough I'm not sure I'd start Daye, as Merc pointed out, he's diminishing returns the more time you give him. Right now Austin pays off big time when he plays in 6 minute spurts, 12-15mpg for the rook seems like his comfort zone right now. I want to see what Summers looks like when he comfortable and confident.
  11. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Not hardly. An eight man rotation where all 8 guys play about the same minutes is not overplaying anyone. 240 / 8 = 30.

Now, I already mentioned 34 minutes each for Stuckey and Daye, and 28 minutes for Bynum.

For the front line, you have 5 guys splitting 144 game minutes. 144 / 5 = 29

No problem, just let me know when you need more help with math. Always glad to help.
  12. BillLaimbeer

Math is very difficult for me, plus my calculator batteries are dead. Thanks for the tips.
  13. Delfino Delivers

How do you do the multi-quote? I see the option but don't know how to do it.
  14. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Click the button next to the "quote" button, when you click "new reply" all the posts that you clicked will appear.
  15. BillLaimbeer

If the goal is to get the #1 pick in the 2010 draft, then you have an excellent strategy. This lineup with those minute distributions would get destroyed nearly every game.
  16. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

And how does that vary from what is happening right now?
  17. BillLaimbeer

It doesn't. The 8 guys that you want in the rotation were the 8 worst in plus/minus tonight:

Bynum -26
    Wilcox -21
    Jerebko -20
    Summers -18
    Maxiel -15
    Stuckey -15
    Wallace -9
    Daye -9
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    others that played:
    Brown -8
    Villenueva -7
    Atkins -2
  18. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Stuckey, Rip, Tay, JMAX, Wilcox start.

Gordon, Daye, JJ, CV, Ben Wallace for 2nd unit.

Other two dressed: Summers, Bynum

Not dressed: Kwame, Atkins
  19. max

max All-Star

Keep clicking multi quote button on each post you want to quote and click reply when done.
  20. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Honestly Lee, I think Max is getting real close to Kwame status, Max was great when he was the young energy playing alongside Rasheed, Ben and McDyess. Max's 1 or 2 energy plays every third game was ll we needed from him, at this point in his career we need more and I'm not convinced he can deliver it.

Stuck, Rip, Tay, JJ, and Ben.

Will, Bengo, CV, Wilcox..............9 man rotation.

The key is to try and not pair CV and Chris Wilcox, they have awful defensive chemistry. Keep Wilcox with Ben and JJ, and the same can be said for CV, there will be stretches where the 2 of them play alongside each other, but they must be minimized.