Rotations

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Lee356, Aug 7, 2009.

1. max

max All-Star

We probably would have an extra 7 or 8 wins if guys were not brought back too soon from injury and were slowly brought back into the rotation when they did come back after and extended stay.

20 or so games left and we still do not have any kind of set rotations - just like last year. Why is this? You have to go small ball to play everyone. With this team guys will have to play less than they are used to.

Since we are out of the playoffs.

Stuckey, BG, Day, JJ, Maxiel

Then bring Rip/Tay and Ben W off the bench for 20 MPG or so. Tell them that the seasons over and they can think of it as some time off. Also find a way to get Wilcox and Kwame some time so their signings were not a total waste and we can see if they are worth keeping for next year. Also try to get Summers some time.

And if CV is still hurt then sit him until he is healthy, otherwise maybe start him and let him improve for next year.
  2. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Agreed. There's no reason Prince & Rip be playing 40+ minutes at this point while the youngsters AND Gordon & CV are collecting dust on the bench.
  3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Okay, Lee356, now that you 're back....get to work. Don't forget Stuckey....:lecturer:
  4. Brap

Brap Starter

http://www.nba.com/pistons/features/truebluepistons_111219a.html

Hard to believe that Kuester ran an offense that didn't feature the hardest to guard play in the NBA, the pick-and-roll. I believe this offense absolutely will play to the strengths of our guards and to long range shooters like Daye, Tay (to a lesser extent, I guess, since I've never liked him as a 3pt shooter, although statistically he's really good at that), and to Gordon (who really shouldn't be doing anything with the ball in his hands other than shoot it).
  5. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I honestly really like the idea of running the pick and roll with Monroe (and actually Max, get him rolling to the basket) and Stuck. Get BG on the floor with Daye at the three, we have some threats on the perimeter and a couple guys that can attack the rim with the best of them.
  6. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Lately.......I thought the pick and roll was just a sandwich........
  7. Brap

Brap Starter

This might have been one of the best reasons to get rid of Rip. When he was in there, we were committed to running our offense almost exclusively as a "run Rip around every pick known to man with the PG sitting way outside and hitting him with a well timed pass" scheme. It controlled the game for the Pistons, who would always get a good shot (with Rip, who really was the best at that ), slowed the game down, and played to the strength of the league's best defensive team in our heyday.

I'm much happier letting 3 of the best penetrating guards in the game, Stuckey, Knight and Bynum, penetrate to the basket using pick and roll plays, with really great outside shooters like Daye, Gordon and even Tay and Jerebko (who I believe will both be pretty good statistically) at that, taking feeds from the penetrating guards (Knight looks great at that) or from Monroe as the hub center, or having Monroe hit guys who are great cutters to the basket (JJ and Tay).

This really makes sense for us.
  8. Brap

Brap Starter

LOL
  9. BillLaimbeer

Here is probably where the team stands right now:

STARTERS:
    PG - Brandon Knight
    SG - Rodney Stuckey
    SF - Tayshaun Prince
    PF - Jonas Jerebko
    C - Greg Monroe

2ND UNIT:
    PG - Will Bynum
    SG - Ben Gordon
    SF - Austin Daye
    PF - Jason Maxiel
    C - Ben Wallace

REST OF THE BENCH:
    SF - Damien Wilkins
    PF - Charlie Villenueva

STREET CLOTHES:
    PF - Vernon Macklin

What did I screw up? We have 13 guys on the roster with 2 open spots? Did I forget anyone?

We have one spot open for an MLE signing?

Do they keep a spot open for Kyle Singler or is he gone for the entire season?
  10. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

11. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

You know the GM is doing his job when one of your two marquee free agents is buried behind Jason Maxiell in the depth chart and he's the keeper. There are 3,5 guys on this roster I'd like to see amnestied and that's after a major buy out.
  12. pass99

Only a slight difference in my starting five:
    • PG - Stuckey (Anyway we begin to look at it, it seems that Stuckey has got to develop at greater length at the point, even if to prove those doubters wrong)
    • SG - Gordon (has much to prove and the administration needs to know his future value)
    • SF - Tay (No longer has to be the iron man, brings stability and defense)
    • PF - CV (Similar to Gordon's situation, the club needs to evaluate his desire and energy level)
    • C - Monroe (There is no option for him and is not a true center. I say they will not get beyond .400 with some major shifts in the 3-4-5 positions).
    Substitutions:
    • Bynum out of the gate for Stuckey.
    • Knight out of the gate for Gordon.
    • Should be able to see a very nice mixture of high energy from those above four.
    • Daye out of the gate for Tay and CV which should bring him more minutes this year.
    • Wilkins is athletic enough to mix up the 2-3-4 spots which will make him a nice fit with the galloping four (1-2). I still think this was a major pickup for JD.
    • Jmax, BenW, Macklin for the 4-5 slots
  13. BillLaimbeer

Good thoughts. Did you forget about Jerebko or is he not in your top 12?
  14. pass99

Must be a psychological slip. Having missed all of last year, hurt his development and it depends how the coach approaches his placement with the guards. He has a high energy level, so this will mix in a positive fashion if Lawerence wants to run everyone to death, like I think he should do. He can not create his own shot and his jump shot needs work. In fact, just facing the basket presents problems. I like Wilkins as a slashing 3-4 type with a running offense. Next to Tay, the latter will the most solid defensive player on the team. Help me.

I think that JJ should be forced to learn the 4 position. He is a better athlete than Monroe and he has to learn Rodman type comforts around the basket.
  15. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Well here's what I got.....for whatever its's worth

PG: Stuckey - Knight
    SG: Gordon - Bynum, won't be in the rotation but will somehow-someway find his way onto the court.
    SF: Tay - Daye
    PF: JJ - CV (after suspension)
    C: Monroe- Ben Wallace

Extra's: Maxiel, Maclin, Wilkins

I see a lot of gimmick 3-Guard (small ball) lineups with Tay, JJ and Daye playing PF in an effort to get minutes for all of the guards on our team.
  16. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I second the KGREG lineup but I'd begin starting Knight and Stuckey in the backcourt somewhere between game 20 and game 30. At first I thought about starting Daye over Tay but that would result in too much locker room buffonery during the next 4 years and it's probably good for the development of the youngsters to have atleast one veteran in the starting unit. I'd give Daye something like 18 min at the 3, 6 at the 2 and maybe 4 at the 4. That's 30 min for Tay and 28 for Daye.
  17. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Seeing schedules - this is insanity - back-to-back-to-back games, there WILL be tons of injuries.
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I agree that should be the starting lineup, but I'm wondering if they choose to ease JJ back into the mix after his long time off.

Villanueva had a good start last year, so maybe he can do the same again before he hits Nueva wall.
  19. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Well I got the starting lineup right!!!! per the Det Free Press
    http://www.freep.com/article/20111226/SPORTS03/111226007/detroit-pistons-indiana-pacers
    The lineup was a no brainer, with the exception of JJ. I wasn't sold on whether or not Lil Larry had the guts to start JJ over Ben. Honestly this is a decent starting lineup IF, and as always there are a lot of of IF's on this team.........
    • If Stuckey can pick up where he left off at the end of last season, I was truly impressed with Stuckey down the stretch. The game seemed to slow down and he began to play very efficiently as well as began to see the floor, taking what the defense gave him.
    • If Ben Gordon can get back to being a legitimate 20ppg scorer.
    • IF Greg Monroe can pick up from where he left off at last season - post the All-Star break, 14ppg and 10rpg.
    • IF JJ is still JJ.

Tay is what Tay is.

I'm just glad to be able to see some Piston B-Ball tonight! Got my Budweiser's coolin' in the fridge ready to go!
  20. Brap

Brap Starter

We'll see tons of combinations - everyone on the roster getting a chance this season; perhaps a lot of chances. First, we're a team at the beginning of a major transition. Second, with the condensed scheduled, there will be lots more injuries and lots more tired legs. The emphasis in the NBA this season will be depth. That's nice for the Pistons as this will be a teaching, development and sorting season.