Round 1 : Game 1 : Milwaukee at Detroit

Discussion in '2006 Playoffs' started by roscoe36, Apr 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Pistons vs Bucks
    Sunday April 23rd, 2006
    7:00pm

The Palace of Auburn Hills, Auburn Hills, MI
    TV: FSN Detroit / TNT / TSN
    Radio: WDFN 1130 AM

BillLaimbeer's Look at this series:

The Milwaukee Bucks will be the Pistons 1st round opponent this year. At 40-42, the Bucks will be the only team in the 2006 NBA playoffs with a losing record.

The Bucks started out the season pretty strong (17-11), but have had losing records in each of the last four months:

November 7-6
    December 9-5
    January 7-10
    February 6-7
    March 7-8
    April 4-6

Milwaukee depends on Michael Redd (25.4 ppg) for over a quarter of their offense. On any given night, Redd can go off for 40+ points. In the 3 games Redd scored 40+ this year, however, the Bucks are 1-2. The shooting guard is the only position that Milwaukee holds the advantage over the Pistons (Rip Hamilton).

The Bucks have some youth at most key positions and that should prove to be the difference in this series. Point guard T.J. Ford is playing in his first full season. Ford averages 12.2 ppg and 6.6 assists per game (14th in the NBA). Edge: Detroit (Chauncey Billups)

At the small forward, Bobby Simmons is really in his 2nd full season as a starter. His numbers and experience are somewhat similar to Tayshuan Prince, but I'll give a slight edge to Detroit with Tay's all-around game.

The Pistons also have an advantage inside with the Wallace's matching up against rookie Andrew Bogut (good rebounding and FG% numbers) and Jamaal Magloire (3rd season as a starter in the NBA, 9.5 rebounds per game).

The bench production differs a little bit, as far as scoring goes. The Bucks have 8 guys scoring 8+ ppg. The Pistons have 7 guys scoring 7+ ppg. Detroit most likely will use an 8-man rotation with McDyess, Delk, and Hunter coming off the bench.

Defense: The Pistons rank 3rd in the NBA for points allowed (90.1). The Bucks rank 20th, giving up 99.8 ppg.

The Bucks have beaten just about every team in the NBA, including Detroit, Miami, New Jersey, San Antonio, Dallas and Phoenix. With a 40-42 record, the Bucks have lost to just about every team in the NBA, as well.

Season series:
    Nov 26: Det 85, @Mil 76
    Jan 25: @Det 106, Mil 102 (OT)
    Mar 31: @Det 112, Mil 105
    Apr 17: @Mil 113, Det 93

Detroit won the season series 3-1, although the Bucks win came in a game when Detroit was resting its starters (Sheed and Rip didn't even dress). The 3 Piston wins were all close games.

For a #1 vs. #8 matchup, these games will be more competitive than most people predict. My guess is the Pistons win the series 4-1. The difference will be Detroit's experience.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

~~​
  2. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Will be watching this one from Honolulu.......:nod:

Let`s see game time is 7pm EST, that`s 1pm there, have to remember that.

Ok, I`m looking for blowout city in this one. Pistons will come out firing on all cylinders as they say. Tay will lead the team in scoring with 27.

CB will have 12-10, while the Wallace and Wallace defense team holds it down. "If the Bucks don`t hustle and just trot, your weak shots we will swat"

Oh yeah, is that Rip D ing up on Redd...........

Deeeeeetroit Baaaaasketball:eyebrows:
  3. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Sundays are our bad day right? Still
    Ps 99
    Redds 80
    all 4 games.
  4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Pistons by 30 points.:D Seriously.
  5. nenerojer

nenerojer First Round Draft Pick

Bucks is team dangerous in one game ....in the series best of seven i think ...no problem for Detroit

draft 2006 Bargnani center of benetton Treviso is unbeliveble player
  6. max

max All-Star

I agree - Bucks will have that game where they shoot an unbelievable % and take one of the them. Besides the current Pistons have never swept a series.
  7. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Would be nice to open it up with a laugher from tip-off, but I get the feeling this will be a close game. Remember how the Pistons came out of the gate against Philly last year? I know I was sweating a bit. Didn't we get down about 16 points in the 1st quarter? Let's not have a repeat of that.
  8. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I remember we were a tad sluggish coming out of the gate Prince, however, that was last year.

What a difference a year makes! The Pistons will drop a couple of games but their mindset will be totally focused on the task at hand.

Last year the focus and desire wasn`t quite as strong........
  9. himat

himat Bench Warmer

It will come down to the SF's. If Tay outduels Simmons it will be an easy win, but if simmons gets the better of the matchup the bucks will have a chance. i'm thinking Tay will be the best player this series. Lets look closesly on the jumpshots, and see if Sheed will start controling the post.
  10. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

You know, I am mad as hell that we don't start until Sunday. How can I repent for my game time actions after I go to church??
  11. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Yeah I think our games are the most spread out. Game 1 is on sunday, and then Game 2 isn't until Wednesday.:ohwell:
  12. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Having two off days between games helps out teams with older players and shorter benches. This is definitely an advantage for the Pistons in this series.
  13. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

you gotta take out a loan. Forgive me father for I will sin. i'm sure the big fella will understand that 2nd quarter tirade over a bad call.
  14. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

EEVRYBODY CAN GET THEIR GROOVE ON AT wdfn.COM ESPECIALLY 3-6 EST with stoney and Wojo, the best columnist in the city. (I still love Jerry Green and Albom is a close third). Good way to pass the time away.
  15. max

max All-Star

Everyone shortens the bench in the playoffs. For the Pistons its going to be a long run so this rest helps.
  16. Hotsauce

Hotsauce First Round Draft Pick

It would be great if a lot of people would come and join the Chat at gametime, a good way to start the playoffs. I think that if we switch Tayshaun on Redd, then we definitely have the upper hand. The bench play will be huge as well.

Oh yea by the way, Wings are up 1-0 on Edmonton:thumb:

Keep it up, 2006: the year of Detroit:nod: :nod:
  17. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I realize this. The Pistons have used a short bench all season (much to the dismay of some posters). My point is that the Pistons won't need to rely on guys that are question marks (Evans, Delfino, Davis, etc.) now that we've reached the playoffs and have multiple days to recover from extended minutes.
  18. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I am stuck in this hell hole, ft. McCoy, Wisconsin. The place looks like world war II redux. Ft. McCoy is 9 miles outside of Sparta & Tomah Wisconsin. I cannot get a signal on my Cingular wireless phone unless I drive 9 miles into Tomah, I don't have a personal p.c. here, I am at the mercy of going across base to the community center in order to chat with you guys on game day. What a way to start off the pistons playoffs. I will be out of this hole on 28 April, not a minute too soon.

The Pisotns will have a field day with the Bucks. They are hungrier and have been waiting for this moment all season. Matter of fact I feel sorry for anyone who have to play the pistons in these playoffs.

I am just waiting to see the new plays that will be implemented. I read a few months back that we have not seen the best of the pistons plays.

Peace guys.
  19. max

max All-Star

Its not as short as many think. This has been one of the largest misnomers of the season. Reason being we have 5 valid starters. Most teams do not have a clear winner at each starting spot so they platoon out a position. Similiar to the way we used to play Curry/Corliss. Curry started but only played 20 mins/game. Corliss came off the bench and inflated the bench stats even winning 6th man in 01/02.

Is it beneficial to still do than now? Would it help the Pistons to only play Tay 20 mins and Evans 24?

Pistons have adequate backups at each position but due to the quality of the starters they are just that backups. The bench has shown that they are ready to play. Finding 5 quality starters is the goal of every team. Have you ever heard someone say "In 5 years we should be able to find 3 guys to share the SF spot"
  20. Jackattaq

Jackattaq First Round Draft Pick

I see the Pistons taking this in 4 games. 5 games tops. The Pistons are just plain "hungrier" this year. They will want to come out firing on all cylinders this year and take care of things more easily than last year. NO MORE MESSING AROUND with inferior teams, I think that the Pistons are dead serious this year.

In less than 24 hours, we shall see.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.