Round 1 : Game 1 : Milwaukee at Detroit

Discussion in '2006 Playoffs' started by roscoe36, Apr 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Deetroit defense is still pretty formidable. Sheed is going to be the man in these playoffs--have a feeling. Tay is going to board for us. We need to get Ben involved a bit. They locked down on Hunter and our second team was stagnant--a bit of a concern. When Rip was hurt, I was stunned. But I guess he will be ok. We will get better as the playoffs progress. Right, one down, 15 to go.
  2. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

IMO, I'd like to see a little more Delk at the PG spot and less Lindsey. Lindsey is either a nice asset or a horrible weakness. Just way to inconsistant. And he doesn't seem to be stopping Ford/Williams any, so I don't see much of the point of playing him a lot. Might as well give Delk some extra minutes to get it going.
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

FP, I saw Lindsey play a lot on Redd. I thought he took a lot of fouls, but keeping Redd from finding his rhythm from the field is an ok tradeoff when you keep giving him sideouts.

Lindsey was the only rotation player with a minus rating, but that's not really a surprise to me. He was + in the first half, and was unfortunately on the floor for the Milwaukee comeback. But he was playing with Dice and Ben, not exactly the best scoring combo you can have out there.

I'd like to see Flip open up the defense a little and pressure Ford up court. Even Bell and Williams. We know Bell can spot up and play in the half court, it's how well he handles "phone booth" defense that remains an unknown.

Was I the only person surprised to see Mo Evans completely out of the rotation? I figured he would get at least 5~8 quality minutes in the opener.
  4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The most impressive thing about the victory was when the Defense stepped up with about 3-4 mins left in the half and shut the Bucs down for the rest of the period and literally until the 4-5 minute mark of the 3d period.

When the Bucs got to within 4 early in the 4th, an Excellent time out by Flip produced a q quick 9-0 run that sealed the deal. Once again the defense stepped up to take contol of the game along with that 3 pointer from the corner by Sheed and the quick pop by Rip. The Bucs didn't know what hit them after that.

2 full days rest by Rip hould have him back in game shape by Wednesday. However if it is still swollen, the dress him and bring him in only if needed.
  5. max

max All-Star

I thinks the Bucks played well but were so undermatched. Redd was shutdown and when you do that Milw does not have many other options.

Rip twisted his ankel by stepping on a cameraman. The idiot had his legs spread out instead of sitting normally like a camaraman should under the basket. Lets hope he is ok. Good thing its the 1st round. Rip could probably sit this one out and we still win. if he misses a game then he will be back on Sat.
  6. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Nicely done. As usual we begin our playoff run all jacked up, moving too fast, unable to control our excitement. Again as usual, we slowly regained our composure and things began to click smoothly.

The starters played a little loose after running up a big lead. So what. I’m more concerned that Lindsey can’t seem to get the ball to whatever scorers he is on the floor with. Hunter should not be forced into taking the shot on consecutive possessions with the likes of Tay, Rip and Dice on the floor.

I really hope the officiating consistently allows this level of physical play. Once used to it we were really able to push the Milk Walkies out of their comfort zone into major bouts of irritation.

Rip says his ankle hurts, is swollen and will know more about his status today. With game 3 not scheduled until Sat would any of you sit him as a precautionary measure and start Delfino for game 2. Maybe allow Rip to play bench minutes. After Saturday the series will assume the normal grind of games played every other day.
  7. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Obviously, it will depend on how serious it really is, but if there was ever a time to rest anyone, this would be it. If there is a reasonable chance he would make it worse by playing on it, sit him or play him very sparingly.

It would be interesting to see if Delfino got the benefit of the loose way last night's refs were calling the game. You don't want a Redd parade to the line and Carlos doesn't seem to have the respect of the officials.
  8. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

actually, i think he first twisted by stepping on idiot andrew bogut's foot when the idiot was trying to set a screen on rip. idiot! jeez!

then he retwisted stepping on the idiot cameraman (same idiot cameraman, by the way, who was following rip around on the court with the camera pointed at his ankle right after he'd first twisted it on idiot andrew bogut's foot.

anyway, i'm with dba: sit him (but i'll be shocked if it happens).
  9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I'd sit Rip if necessary. But it's a Catch 22.

Finish the series quickly, pray the injury doesn't worsen and rest Rip (assuming the Wiz can put up any sort of defensive effort vs. LeBron).

Play Rip now, reduce his minutes, work Evans and Delfino into the lineup.

I would err on the side of caution. This team can beat the Bucks without Rip.

But these guys are warriors. If you can stand, loaded with painkillers, you play.
  10. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

Defensive pressure on Ford upcourt is a good idea, but will Flip think of this? Not unless he's reading the forum. :nod: I was surprised to see that Evans didn't get much burn. I think if Rip's ankle is troubling him, Delfino should be in there. Delfino wants to play. The guy hustles and plays much better D than he did a year ago. Delfino gets into the flow of the offense much better than Evans IMO. Evans is a great leaper and rebounder, but I want to see what Carlos can do. Actually, I'd like to morph these guys into a creature named DELFIMO so that we can be done with this whole discussion. See DELFIMO, kiddies, he hustles, he rebounds, he hits the 3, he does EVERYTHING that two average players do and MORE!
  11. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

The problem with playing Delfino a lot is that if he played Redd as physical as Rip did he would have fouled out in the first quarter.
  12. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

After Rip first sprained his ankle Greg Kelser said something like "it's important to get Rip back into the game to keep his ankle loose" and then he tweaked the ankle again.

It seems like it would have been better to get some ice on it and rest it since the game was pretty much in hand. For as much running and cutting as Rip does I wouldn't want him playing next game unless it's feeling real good. If you sprain it once it's a lot more likely to roll again.
  13. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

rip will play - like he said in the postgame interview - it's the playoffs...plus the fact that he was running around on it, and we've got kander on the scene, leads me to believe he'll be okay to play.

was @ the game ... can't beat that playoff atmosphere!! the fans weren't as completely into it for 1st round (did the wave from boredom when up by 19), but hey it's all good. we killed them while playing poorly and rip going 5/18 and not running our offense and taking too many chances. redd will probably get more points next game but we should still kill them. bogut has a LOT to learn.

with rip's shooting woes i would have liked to see delk get more minutes (only took 3 shots, made 2 of them), and even if rip was shooting well i would have extended the bench minutes a little bit more for him (dice was fine playing 30 minutes and looking amazing).

overall though, a good win. redd/stotts/ford...you could tell in the postgame interviews they're practically conceding the series already - they had no answers.
  14. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

I wasn't, it's clear that the only minutes Evans would get would be as the backup sf. IMO, Delfino has played better at the 3, but Flip doesn't like him. But Flip isn't an idiot, and knows that Evans can't play the backup 3 in the playoffs, which means Rip is now Tay's backup and Delk will get even more time playing the 2, when Rip switches to the 3.

Considering how small most of the sf's are in the playoffs (except for Jefferson) I wouldn't be suprised to see Flip use this rotation for most of the playoffs.
  15. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Indeed. And who could blame them? This isn't the namby pamby NCAAs, that punishes top teams for having their eye on the final title, where some mediocre team with a hot hand and annoying fans can stake everything on one game and pull off an opening round upset (and even there the 1st seed hasn't ever lost in the first round since they opened the door to the riff raff).

No. This is the Association. The Bucks would have to take 4 of the next 6 games against the pistons, with 3 of those games (including the 7th) in Detroit. I know they have to play the games and blah blah blah, but the bucks have about as much of winning the series as i have of dunking...over ben. if redd/stotts/ford really did think they have a chance of winning, then they need to start dealing whatever under the table psychotropics they're consuming.

In the Association excellence prevails over emotion and luck. As it should. Amen.
  16. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Good post professor. It would be a tremendous accomplishment if the Bucks could win a game. If they somehow managed to win two games it would be a great success and they would be optimistic about next season especially if someone like Charlie Bell turned into a hero.

On the other hand during the 2002-2003 playoffs, we won the division with a 50-32 record and faced the lowly 42-40 Orlando Magic. Of course they got up on us 3-1 (and T-Mac was crowing about how good it felt to be going to the second round) before we shook off our complacency and won the series.

So the conclusion may be foregone but it's still great to watch.
  17. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Not to mention the 7 foot Inflatable Defender.
  18. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Anyone with a sharp pin can dunk over the Inflatable Defender.
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Only allowed 74 points. Let's enjoy the return to defense.

The next lowest point total in the playoffs this year has been 86.

On the season, Redd was shooting 74% from 3-point land against us. Last night, 0 for 1.

If Rip would have been hitting his normal percentage, this would have been blowout similar to the SA/SAC game.
  20. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Sitting here in this internet cafe in Waikiki reading the posts from game 1 is verey interesting. I was not able to check out the game as my wife and I were enjoying Hawaii.

The game seemed to be just as I thought, a blowout, however, it was close for about a hot second from what I saw on ESPN.

Lokks like Evans nor Delfino will be in the playoff rotation. Or is it to early to tell?

Anyway, I`m off to the beach....:nod: Will check the game on Wednesday, will have to check youi guys after the game, I didn`t bring my laptop to join you guys in game chat. I know you guys are live! It`s the playoffs!!!!

Peace..........
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.